May 2014 Moms
Options

EP and supplementing

I have recently decided to EP (forceful let down, poor latch even after LC, stressed and in pain) and I was wondering how to go about supplementing if necessary? Do you add formula to the breast milk bottle? Do you feed a BM bottle and then feed a separate formula one? Do you give as much BM as you can throughout the day and then use formula wHen you run out?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: EP and supplementing

• Options
    bcnoellebcnoelle member
    edited May 2014
    I did something similar with my son and decided that we'd use formula and breast milk separate for the most part cause they have different storage and disposal rules. I would just see how much you're able to pump and figure how much you need to supplement if any. I liked using breast milk when I knew my son would be most hungry (early morning) and most likely to finish the bottle. It also was convenient to use formula for middle of the night feedings so DH could help especially when I went back to work (we started this while I was nursing and noticed formula kept him sleeping better/longer than BM). You still may want to pump in the middle of the night though to keep up your supply and sometimes you just produce more at this time. I wound up making an early stash even though this meant more formula feelings, because I wanted to ensure that I'd have some BM for later or if he got sick. I don't have the type of job where it's easy to pump at work, so I knew this was going to be what limited me eventually. Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    I start with breastmilk then if she is still hungry I give her a small formula bottle. When we are out or when DH feeds her we sometimes just do all formula.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use up the BM before I use formula. Sometimes on the go I will use formula just because it's easier. I never mix the two, mainly because formula you have to toss one hour after it hits the baby's mouth whereas I save leftover BM for the next feeding.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    Thanks!
    How can you tell if baby has had enough? I feel like when I bottle feed the BM she seems hungry after. I just gave her 3.5 oz of BM and I'm not sure she's full? But with formula she always seems satisfied....?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    I let her chill for a minute with the pacifier and she seems okay now, maybe she just wanted to suck?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SMM1986 said:

Thanks!
    How can you tell if baby has had enough? I feel like when I bottle feed the BM she seems hungry after. I just gave her 3.5 oz of BM and I'm not sure she's full? But with formula she always seems satisfied....?

On mobile, or I would try to link. Look up a breastfeeding chart that will calculate the average feeding amount based on a couple of variables (# of feedings, baby's age, etc.). I met with my LC today who said my one week old should be eating 1-1.5 oz per session based on the math. She weighed him before and after a feeding, and he ate 1.5 oz. Hopefully seeing a number range on a chart will ease your mind so you know she is eating enough.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    The numbers I saw were 2 oz an hour based on the fact that she feeds every hour typically. I gave her 3.5 to see if she would eat it and to see if she will go longer than 1 hour . She's almost 4 weeks. I'll look around for more charts.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm doing the same as well. I usually sneak a formula bottle in in the morning so I can get ahead on pumping.
    Do you guys notice any extra fussiness with the formula? We have just been using the regular similac when we supplement a bottle but we had a day where we were out with family all day and had to use more formula and she got a little constipated and it was a nightmare.

• Options
    When I was doing this I would use the formula if she seemed like she needed more after the BM or at night to fill her up before bed time. I gave her about 2 oz. But she is hardly a week old. I would think if your dd had enough she just wouldn't continue to eat. Dd usually just detaches to the bottle or my nipple when she is full

It's a BOY

• Options
    I gave my DS pumped milk only for a few months. I was an oversupplier. I was able to freeze a bunch because if this. I supplemented formula the first week due to milk not coming in yet but once it came in I fed him BM exclusively until I went back to work at 3 months. Formula feeding started at that time but I always fave him one BM bottle a day until he was 4 or 5 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MinaE01MinaE01 member

I pump due to a lazy nurser, and I supplement due to a poor supply. First I will give a bottle of pumped BM - 2.5-3 oz. If still hungry, I will give an ounce of formula. Usually once a day I will give one whole formula bottle as I try to catch up.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    @MinaE01‌ how old is your lo?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Lizmullen said:

I'm doing the same as well. I usually sneak a formula bottle in in the morning so I can get ahead on pumping.
    Do you guys notice any extra fussiness with the formula? We have just been using the regular similac when we supplement a bottle but we had a day where we were out with family all day and had to use more formula and she got a little constipated and it was a nightmare.

Try buying the Similac for supplement, I switched to this and it seems her stomach and poops have evened out, less fussiness
  • Options
    MinaE01MinaE01 member
    My kiddo will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. He was born at 36w. He takes a total of 3.5-4 oz. per bottle at this point (ever 2-4 hours) and the pedi said that sounded about right for his age.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    Thanks. DD is 4 weeks and takes about 3.5-4 oz of BM every 2 hours or so. And formula every 2-3 hours (she usually gets formula at night when I run out of milk). She eats a LOT.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"