May 2014 Moms

Elijah's birth story

At 41 weeks I went to my midwife appointment and I was not dilated nor effaced, we were to have a NST and biophysical profile two days later but as we were about to leave my midwife thought we should go up to ob triage and get an NST just to see what's up ( her midwife spidey sense was going off!)

My NST showed that lo was running high heart rate baseline so they decided to do a biophysical profile which showed my placenta to be not at the best number. Midwife consulted with the on call OB and the on call OB felt it best to admit me and induce via foley.

After induction and no changes, they put me on PITT....started to efface some and dilate to about a 3 with contractions every 2.5 min. They decided to break my water to see if that would move things along and They kept upping my PITT until I had reached the max dose and I only progressed to 3-4 cm and 75% effaced. I tried an epidural after 14.5 h of labouring without pain management to see if it'd relax my body and help things move....nothing changed. The external monitors weren't picking up my contractions so we started internal monitoring with a monitor on baby for heart rate and another in me for contractions....three hours later...no change. They were also concerned during these times bc baby heart rate would drop a little after a contraction. So it was decided we needed to do a c section for mine and baby safety.

At 229 pm on may 15th Elijah Aaron was born weighing 8 lbs 2 oz. He was doing really well until his respiratory rate went up and he was breathing hard about 10 h post birth....so off to nicu for testing, monitoring etc. We are currently still in the nicu waiting final test results (it's a holiday today in Canada) as the first set were clear and baby boy is breathing normally. We did have another set back with low blood sugars but it's been resolved. Here's hoping we can go home tomorrow. For now we are so glad DH and I were given a care by family room in the nicu where we are staying and I'm continuing to breast feed baby boy.

Quiet a story...I honestly wanted to birth naturally yet I literally had every intervention done...but it's all worth it for our sweet baby boy

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Elijah's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"