November 2012 Moms

Speech Delays

edited May 2014 in November 2012 Moms
I have noticed that this topic is coming up frequently on our board so I thought I would share some information that I uncovered while doing my Child Development classes. I also found this information very helpful when deciding to get D evaluated. The earlier intervention takes place the better the outcome. I hope this information is helpful :D

Article about language development
https://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/lateblooming.htm

CDC Milestone chart
https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/milestones-18mo.html

Also, every state has an Early Childhood Intervention program. You can have your child's language evaluated by a speech therapist for no cost.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Speech Delays

• I'm so out of the loop. How did d's eval go?
  • His evaluation went well. The three ladies were very nice and he had fun playing with the different toys the Speech therapist had. We talked about his language delay in detail. The Speech therapist said that growing up in a bilingual family does not really delay children like they once thought. Previously, language development was graded based upon having so many words in the primary language only. But now they look for how many total words they have from both languages. So if D had 3 English and 3 Spanish he would be on track.

As of today we just now have 6 words. All English lol.  He has a little cognitive delay as well but she said that is probably because of the language delay.

Thanks for asking!

• Loading the player...
  • GargitaGargita member
    Thanks for posting this.  H doesn't have a ton of words (maybe 15?), but he keeps adding more almost every day right now.  He's not really stringing words together, either.  We don't go in for his 18 month until early June.  Not sure if they will think early intervention is necessary, but I'd like to raise the topic.  His language comprehension is crazy, though.

image   My chart 

• Thanks for this. At our 18mo appt our Ped suggested an eval, because early interviention can catch them up quicker. I felt so ashamed and responsible, but I know it's the right thing.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @benmichele you should not feel ashamed.  I stay at home with my son and we read constantly, but he still is a little behind.  Their development is happening so rapidly during the first three years of life it can be difficult to juggle all of the things they need to learn during this period!  The EI staff will be able to help you focus on the areas in which your LO needs help and before you know it you will be back on track!

• DS1 has barely 6 words and all three doctors that we have seen are not at all concerned. I worry about it but not too much yet.

• @Chickie79 I had to go look at the group to see your post. I keep forgetting it is there!

I think it is really a personal choice. If you are under 6 words I would (personally). The only thing the evaluation costs is time, about 60 minutes. They really get down and play with your child and observe what he is doing or not doing.

Another thing you might want to do is, if he goes to Daycare to check with his caregivers and see if they have any suggestions or are noticing any words that he might not be saying at home. 

I have become really passionate about this subject lately because I have a friend with a 2 year old. She has NO words at all. Her mom used to be a teacher, yet her doctor keeps telling her everything is OK.  Doctors are not experts in speech development and I feel like he is failing her by telling her not to worry (late bloomers ect).

• Da-dame-give
    Hi
    Bye
    Mama, says it when prompted but doesn't use it to get my attention
    Daddy, same
    Baba-Papa, same

Those are my DD's 6 words that I could come up with. Do these count if she doesn't say them unless prompted? She just parrots most of them. I'm worried about this. She is hearing English and Spanish but after reading the articles posted above I'm worried. She used to say ow for meow but doesn't say it anymore.
  • @viking15 D still does not call for me or DH using mama or dada. But if I ask him he will say the words.  We use both Spanish and English at home but D does not say any Spanish words at all. The ow for Meow change might be because she is associating "ow" for something else or she is trying to form the entire word.  D had a change in moo. It used to be oo, now its mmmmm.

If you are worried it doesn't hurt to ask a professional. IMO anyway.

• tngrl3tngrl3 member
    @persephonerose‌ I think that's a good point to ask what they may say at daycare or the babysitter's. N says please and thank you at my moms house on the days she keeps him, but he never says it at home. He has several other words he frequently uses there but only rarely uses at home. I also second asking a professional and/or insisting that your child be evaluated if you are concerned. I pushed for a PT eval when N turned one for his gross motor delay and now at 19 months he is completely caught up and has finished PT. his doctor didn't think he was that behind but was willing to at least send us for an evaluation.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"