March 2013 Moms

bleach bath

Let me begin by stating that LO has eczema like me. Very sensitive, easily irritated skin.

So Wednesday night we gave LO his usual bath, brushed teeth, lotion, jammies, then betime. At the time I didn't realize that these were new jammies that hadn't been washed yet (it was too cold at the time to be wearing shorts/tshirt - only washed pants/tshirt sets). Everything was fine, everyone went to sleep... until about 3am when LO woke up screaming and itching. Poor kiddo had a rash from head to toe so we stripped him down and put some cortisone on the bad spots. Looking back we should have rinsed him off in the tub, but it was 3am and we were'nt thinking straight. He stayed in bed with us until morning and he looked/seemed better, but I asked DH to have his mom (who watches LO) to give him a bath right away and put more cortisone on after. -day goes on as usual-

Yesterday DH comes home and I'm expecting to hear that his mom has dunked him in their saltwater pool (she's done this before, apparently it has magical healing powers) or given him an epsom/oatmeal/soothing/NORMAL bath. Nope... his mom thinks our water is contaminated and that's where LO got the rash from... SO SHE PUT BLEACH IN THE BATH WATER?!?!? At first when DH told me, it was about a cap-full. Once I yelled WTF, BLEACH?!? it became a drop or two. We have the same city water as she does...

1. I'm livid. I know it was technically my fault for not washing ALL the jammies, but serously?

2. I've never heard of this method before, nor have my parents, nor have my friends.

3. What posesses you to put a child in bleach-water regardless of concentration and not something like oatmeal? Wouldn't you think the bleach would strip the good AND bad bacteria just like hand-sanitizer? I would think it would hurt too - he still had some open sores from scratching.

We can't afford daycare so this situation is permanent until preschool. I can't talk to her directly because she's so easily offended, DH won't say anything - he's on her side - so no support there. It just seems to be one thing after another with this lady. I'm trying not to stress about it, but since day 1 it's driven me crazy. I made the executive decision last week to have my family watch him while we were on a kidless-couple's-group-vacation... my mom drove 3 hours here and then back to keep him at her house for 4 days. I know I should be thankful but it's been over a year of this nonsense. Lord, give me strength.

Re: bleach bath

• yikes!  I have heard of bleach baths but never in a kid...I have a co-worker who was advised to do it for skin issues, but not for eczema.  I'm with you, I don't see how that would have helped anything!  I get that she's easily offended, but I would talk to her - or ask DH to, otherwise she is just prone to do it again. Maybe try telling her what you would like her TO try, rather than what NOT to do, to avoid the hurt feelings?  On that note, have you tried coconut oil?  I've heard it does wonder for eczema, but don't have any experience - we use it as a diaper cream and for other random skin issues (cuts, etc) and love it.

good luck to you :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Poor baby, hope your LO is feeling better now! Yeah, bleach is not the first thing that comes to mind for soothing a rash. Along with what MrsG said, maybe you can tell your MIL what your dr recommends. She might be less offended if it's not advice coming from you or your husband.
  • Loading the player...
  • haileyqhaileyq member
    Talk to your pediatrician and give their advice to your MIL.
  • I have been told by a handful of different Doctors that a bleach bath is helpful. I was told to give my son one due to an infected boil that he had to spend a week in the hospital for. My LO has really bad eczema too. I have not tried it yet though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"