Breastfeeding
Options

Extended breastfeeding and sending milk to daycare

As my LO approaches a year, I know his need for milk is going to be decreasing as he eats more table foods.  I've read that for some folks who exclusively breastfeed, that they don't feel like they need to send milk to daycare, as their LO's get the ~15oz of milk/2 cups they need through nursing sessions at home.

For those of you that are extended breastfeeders - how much milk (of any variety) do you/did you send in to daycare after the 12m mark?

Thanks!

(XP to Working Moms)
BabyFetus Ticker
DS born 6/2013

Re: Extended breastfeeding and sending milk to daycare

• Options
    CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    Our situation  was a bit different from the norm because DS2 was MPI until around 14 months.  I sent 10 oz of BM (split into two cups) to DC from 1 year to 15 months.  Most days he did drink it all.  Some days he didn't.  Around 15 months I quit pumping.  I used up my freezer stash by sending 10 oz of half BM half coconut or almond milk.  

Now at 19 months I still send 10oz of coconut/almond milk, but he rarely drinks it all.  I don't worry about it.  As long as he's nursing well at home and drinking water throughout the day, his pedi and I are happy.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    DS gets a cup of WCM with his daycare lunch. we are still nursing as well (he is 21 months). i stopped pumping when he was 14 months.

like you said, if you're still nursing, your LO really does not need milk other than BM if they are eating a balanced diet.

i send WCM because a) he likes it and b) it's sort of an insurance policy in case he doesn't like something in his lunch (he's usually a good eater, but occasionally he rejects something).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CLLDLL said:
    Our situation  was a bit different from the norm because DS2 was MPI until around 14 months.  I sent 10 oz of BM (split into two cups) to DC from 1 year to 15 months.  Most days he did drink it all.  Some days he didn't.  Around 15 months I quit pumping.  I used up my freezer stash by sending 10 oz of half BM half coconut or almond milk.  

Now at 19 months I still send 10oz of coconut/almond milk, but he rarely drinks it all.  I don't worry about it.  As long as he's nursing well at home and drinking water throughout the day, his pedi and I are happy.  
    This was about the same for us as well.
  • Options
    DD drinks whole milk with breakfast, lunch, and dinner (she eats the first two meals at daycare, and they supply the milk).  I honestly don't even know how much she drinks.  And I don't measure when I give her milk at home.  My guess would be 8-12oz per day, but who knows.  She also still nurses 2x/day.  Would it be an option to just send a half gallon or something?  That way they can give LO what he wants, and you don't have to worry about sending the exact right amount.
  • Options
    I sent about 8 ounces a day at 13m but he usually only drank 6 ounces (split into three small cups). he was never excited to take breastmilk out of a cup since he was used to it from the tap until 13m. 
    He nursed plenty at home and got water along with the breastmilk at school. 

Up until 18m, I only sent in breastmilk and kept nursing. When he switched classrooms at 18m, I stopped pumping and he is offered cow's milk three times a day. He usually doesn't drink more than a few sips, but nursing 3x a day and a varied diet makes me feel like it doesn't matter if he doesn't drink other milk. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"