May 2014 Moms

MD recommending cervidil and induction

Would love some thoughts on this one... Some info - I'm 42 - fertility patient - first little man due on Saturday. My MDs have been very attentive, doing everything by the book because of my age, etc. Baby is active, no health issues with me. But at my last appointment, the doctor suggested for several reasons that I shouldn't go much beyond my due date because of possible complications/ risk of stillbirth. He suggests if baby is not here by Saturday (and my cervix is currently closed) that I be admitted Sunday night for cervidil (relaxes the cervix) and induction Monday morning. It has taken us 7 years to have this little guy, so I want to do what is in his best interest. Just a little freaked out and would appreciate any advice or points of view on this. Thanks! :-)
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: MD recommending cervidil and induction

• EmilyGolden1EmilyGolden1 member
    edited May 2014
    I'm on team wait for baby to come on his own- if everything is great, why worry? Maybe you can ask to wait until 41 weeks and next week go in for a few non stress tests to appease your MD. But if you are locked up in the cervix- that is just setting you up for a cascade of interventions and a much higher risk of c-section. Just my thoughts--

Edit- isn't baby's best interest to keep cooking until he's ready?
  • I was induced in a similar fashion with DS1....went in at 9pm on a Sunday, given cervidil. I was already 2cm when I checked in though. The next morning my OB came and broke my water and I was started on pitocin. DS was born about 7 hours later, vaginal birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Loading the player...
  • I've been having the NST weekly for the last 4 weeks. I may ask if we should wait for one more - so paranoid! But I do want him cooked. ;-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced in a similar fashion with DS1....went in at 9pm on a Sunday, given cervidil. I was already 2cm when I checked in though. The next morning my OB came and broke my water and I was started on pitocin. DS was born about 7 hours later, vaginal birth.
    Was it painful? All went well?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can imagine- but I think that is a fair compromise especially if you want to avoid induction- things can change SO much in a week (that's what I'm telling myself, due on Friday with nothing going on downstairs)
  • MrsT2008MrsT2008 member
    edited May 2014
    I'm on team wait for baby to come on his own- if everything is great, why worry? Maybe you can ask to wait until 41 weeks and next week go in for a few non stress tests to appease your MD. But if you are locked up in the cervix- that is just setting you up for a cascade of interventions and a much higher risk of c-section. Just my thoughts-- Edit- isn't baby's best interest to keep cooking until he's ready?

"Advanced maternal age" plays into it too though. I believe studies show earlier/faster placental deterioration when mom is AMA which increases risks of stillbirth. 

That said, OP, do you trust your doctor? It certainly can't hurt to ask to wait a week and I'd be tempted to do that as well but I am also in the camp "my OB knows more than me" and I chose my practice based on their reputation and trust what they tell me and suggest. 

Whatever you decide, good luck!!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• soylattesoylatte member
    edited May 2014
    MrsT2008 said:
    I'm on team wait for baby to come on his own- if everything is great, why worry? Maybe you can ask to wait until 41 weeks and next week go in for a few non stress tests to appease your MD. But if you are locked up in the cervix- that is just setting you up for a cascade of interventions and a much higher risk of c-section. Just my thoughts-- Edit- isn't baby's best interest to keep cooking until he's ready?

"Advanced maternal age" plays into it too though. I believe studies show earlier/faster placental deterioration when mom is AMA which increases risks of stillbirth. 

That said, OP, do you trust your doctor? It certainly can't hurt to ask to wait a week and I'd be tempted to do that as well but I am also in the camp "my OB knows more than me" and I chose my practice based on their reputation and trust what they tell me and suggest. 

I do trust my doctor - and am leaning on the side of doing exactly what he says. It's the thought of "what if I wait and something did happen" that is stuck in my brain. I'm having a major massage tomorrow and praying things happen on their own - but think I'll end up reporting for duty Sunday night despite my fears.  And thank you :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • soylatte said:

I was induced in a similar fashion with DS1....went in at 9pm on a Sunday, given cervidil. I was already 2cm when I checked in though. The next morning my OB came and broke my water and I was started on pitocin. DS was born about 7 hours later, vaginal birth.

The cervidil was not painful and those contractions felt like strong period cramps. I felt them for sure, but it was definitely tolerable and I slept through most of them. The cervidil helped to dilate me 1 more cm and it got me to 100% effacement. When my doctor broke my water, it did not hurt. They use this long plastic stick with a little hook on the end(or at least this was what mine did)...you feel it, obviously, but it wasn't painful.

Pitocin was started right after that for me, and those contractions started out somewhat painful and then got very painful. I endured those for about 2 hours and then asked for the epidural. I was 5cm when I got it. Within 2 hours I was fully dilated and ready to push. I know for some the epidural can slow down labor but for me, it made me dilate very quickly. I pushed for 50 minutes.

I have to say, I was worried, nervous, anxious about the whole process but I would do it over exactly how it was b/c overall it was a very good experience.

I just wanted to share with you b/c I thought you might want to hear a positive story.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

The cervidil was not painful and those contractions felt like strong period cramps. I felt them for sure, but it was definitely tolerable and I slept through most of them. The cervidil helped to dilate me 1 more cm and it got me to 100% effacement. When my doctor broke my water, it did not hurt. They use this long plastic stick with a little hook on the end(or at least this was what mine did)...you feel it, obviously, but it wasn't painful. Pitocin was started right after that for me, and those contractions started out somewhat painful and then got very painful. I endured those for about 2 hours and then asked for the epidural. I was 5cm when I got it. Within 2 hours I was fully dilated and ready to push. I know for some the epidural can slow down labor but for me, it made me dilate very quickly. I pushed for 50 minutes. I have to say, I was worried, nervous, anxious about the whole process but I would do it over exactly how it was b/c overall it was a very good experience. I just wanted to share with you b/c I thought you might want to hear a positive story.
    I am happy to hear a positive story, so THANK YOU for taking the time to share!!! If I have an experience remotely similar to yours, I'll be grateful!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jenb_99jenb_99 member
    edited May 2014
    I would probably go ahead with the Cervidil. It's just a vaginal hormone suppository, and it'll either work to stimulate cervical ripening or it won't do anything at all. No harm, no foul. But if you're uncomfortable with the induction, it's worth asking your doctor(s) if they'll allow you to schedule a NST and then wait a few more days. No point inducing too early if your cervix is unfavorable and your baby and placenta are still healthy.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the AMA part. No experience or knowledge there, so I might be inclined to go with the doctor's recommendation if you trust his/her judgment.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I've had cervadil in previous pregnancies, I had no issues with it. I honestly don't know whether the cervadil or the pitocin contributed to my contractions, but if I was told I needed it again, I wouldn't be upset. I didn't have a bad experience with it and it did it's job in my case.

I think being AMA, induction is probably a wise idea if your doc says so.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

imageimageimage

• QOTRQOTR member
    soylatte said:
    MrsT2008 said:

I do trust my doctor - and am leaning on the side of doing exactly what he says. It's the thought of "what if I wait and something did happen" that is stuck in my brain. I'm having a major massage tomorrow and praying things happen on their own - but think I'll end up reporting for duty Sunday night despite my fears.  And thank you :-)
    Hi @soylatte.  I'm in a similar boat.  I hope to avoid any intervention, but my doctor doesn't want me to go past 41 weeks because of my age (41).   She actually had me schedule the appointment today for 40 weeks, 6 days.  It really got me down.  :(  I know that I have the right to push back, but I do trust my doctor and I have the same fears of questioning myself if something goes awry.  Best of luck to you - I hope that labor starts for you soon!   Please keep us posted.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • If it were me, I'd opt for the induction. I typically would say the opposite but I think your doctor has a valid point. If he said to schedule a c/s then I would be much more concerned but it seems to me like he just wants to prevent any potential complications.
    Good luck!
  • I had cervadil as well with my induction at 41 weeks. It went very well. Mine was a very long process and I did have to have pitocin but my body responded very well so i did not have to have much. I wish I could tell you times between each step like a previous poster but the pain meds they offered made me very very drowsy. (Fell asleep when they were putting my epidural in even!) Overall the induction took about 14 hours start to finish. It really wasn't a terrible experience.
  • I truly appreciate the help, ladies. Will post whatever goes down!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The what ifs get to me too! My OB will basically induce me any day now if I ask since this is my second and I'm already progressing and a few weeks ago I thought I would jump at the chance but when faced with actually having to make the call, I've passed two appts in a row (which took a lot of willpower since I'm now more pregnant than I was when I had DD). I hope baby comes on its own!!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"