Two Under 2
Options

2 Under 2 - How necessary are double strollers?

Our first son will be about 20 months when our second is born.  My husband and I are debating whether or not to get a double stroller, and I thought I would ask some experienced moms how necessary you feel having a double stroller is?  Did you find that you wore baby #2 for a few weeks/months before transitioning to using a double stroller, and if so, how well did that work out for you?  Also, how long was your oldest willing to ride in a stroller?

At this point, we rarely use a stroller for our son, but a lot of this has to do with the fact that the outings we typically take are usually short trips to the playground/park or in and out of the store/mall for specific things.  I was using our current stroller more frequently during the fall/early winter for walks around the neighborhood, but really haven't used it more than a handful of times since.  I guess I just don't want to go out and purchase something that we won't use just because I think I "might" need it, but I also don't want to feel like I can't go out and do things with both children either.  
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 2 Under 2 - How necessary are double strollers?

• Options
    DD was 19.5 mos when DS was born.  We hardly used a stroller for her up till then because she could walk or be carried.  She was good at holding hands and staying by us so that helped.  But when DS was born that changed.  It's not easy to chase a toddler while 8 mos pregnant but it's much more difficult when you are wearing a newborn.  I wore DS a lot at the beginning to the zoo, museum, mall, etc.  But I brought a regular stroller so that I could contain DD when I needed.  

We did buy a double jogger right off the bat but we only ever used it for walks around the neighborhood.  It was too heavy and bulky to get in and out of my car.  We traded that for a sit and stand and it's loads better.  I use it all of the time.  DD is now 3 and DS is 20 mos and they go in that stroller without a fight.  I'd say you could get buy with just a sit and stand and not a true double.  I hope that helps.  
  • Options
    I never thought of a sit and stand! I'd much rather have that! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I never thought of a sit and stand! I'd much rather have that! :)

If you do a sit n stand get one where your youngest can sit in the actual front seat while the baby is in back. Most under 2s can't do the stand thing just yet.

I have a Valco Snap Dual I love...google it. It's amazing at only 22 lbs and we use it all the time with the boys. Other strollers to look at are the City Mini & Select, Kinderwagon Hop, and the Maclaren Double. I know everyone loves the City Select and BOB but I prefer lightweight and easy to use.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    jesselayne8jesselayne8 member
    edited May 2014
    Mine are 17 months apart and I used a double from day 1. My older is just starting to be ready for a sit and stand at 2yrs4months. We have a city select, kinderwagon hop and a double BOB. I use all three regularly.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    My first 2 kids are 16 months apart and now my 3rd & 4th will be 19 months apart.  Like you we weren't big stroller people (first I live out in the country so we're not doing stroller walks a lot-more like bike rides) and my kids walked early and didn't want a stroller.  What we ended up doing was buying a double stroller on craigslist (this was before Facebook had those garage sale websites) for like $40!  I'm glad a did it because it does help for when we do the County Fair or the Zoo. Those places are a lot of walking for a 2, 3 or even 4 year old!  It's probably only used 2 times a year so I'm glad I never bought new.  I will say I'm also glad I never got a sit and stand because I just don't like the lack of stability in the person who has to stand.
  • Options
    ebp913ebp913 member
    There is no way I could get by without a double stroller (and I have 2 now).  And I work full time but still, if we are going out and I don't want to carry one or both of the kids, they need a stroller.  

With my oldest, we got by pretty good not using a stroller that much because she walked or one of us carried her.  With 2 kids, it's just different.  There are times you want both to sit or you need to carry one and move quickly and the other one needs to sit.  Or you are doing diaper changes and you don't want 1 child touching everything in the public restroom. Or you don't want them runnning in opposite directions, etc.  I could go on and on.  

I also wouldn't do a sit n stand for an under 2 year old.  I try to get my oldest (who is very well behaved in general) to stand on a ride on board and even that is sort of a joke.  They both need real seats if you ask me.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I'm going to have to cast a vote in the sit and stand hat. I have two 13 months apart, and a sit and stand (with a little bench seat my toddler can use) is plenty for us. I do have to admit that we live in a cold area where we didn't use a stroller much in the winter months, so DD was about 20 months before we started using it regularly. DD loves to walk, but the stand portion is perfect for when she gets tired or I just want to move faster. We have a Joovy Caboose Ultralight and love it.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    rcbukorcbuko member
    It really depends on the type of kid you have.  Our 4th is due any day now and our 18 month old son is a runner.  We bought the CitiMini GT around Christmas because it was on sale and I have been using it with our 3 1/2 year old and 18 month old.  The 3 1/2 year old hardly used a stroller up until we bought the double but I find it useful for long walks, parking lots, the zoo, etc.  She often walks but I have her hop in occasionally when it's safer for her to be contained.  The little guy often must be contained or he will run.  I bought him a leash backpack as well which has been helpful.  I typically wear my babies but since this baby will be born basically in the summer, she may not want to be worn on the hottest days.  We are an active family so will be outside with the other three and she will likely recline in the stroller a bit.
    For us, the sit and stand would not work right now since DS is still very much a baby.  He sometimes takes naps in the stroller.  I need him to have a baby type seat for a bit longer.  We tried out a bunch of doubles in the store and the CitiMini GT was the best fit for us.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • Options
    lana22lana22 member
    my kids are 16 months apart and i couldn't live w/o my double. my 2.5 yo is even more into riding in the stroller now b/c he sees his little brother doing it, which i wouldn't have imagined. when we're doing short trips to grocery store, errands, etc. it's so easy to put them in the stroller and not have to deal with the carts. we have a city select and it's a bit heavy, but i love it. both my kids are very heavy (33 lbs and 27 lbs) so carrying one is not an option w/ my bad back.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ebp913 said:

There is no way I could get by without a double stroller (and I have 2 now).  And I work full time but still, if we are going out and I don't want to carry one or both of the kids, they need a stroller.  

With my oldest, we got by pretty good not using a stroller that much because she walked or one of us carried her.  With 2 kids, it's just different.  There are times you want both to sit or you need to carry one and move quickly and the other one needs to sit.  Or you are doing diaper changes and you don't want 1 child touching everything in the public restroom. Or you don't want them runnning in opposite directions, etc.  I could go on and on.  

I also wouldn't do a sit n stand for an under 2 year old.  I try to get my oldest (who is very well behaved in general) to stand on a ride on board and even that is sort of a joke.  They both need real seats if you ask me.  

I 100% agree with all of this. My kids are now 2 and 3.5 and there are still times when we use our double stroller (zoo, vacation, long walks at the park). There are times when they need to be contained, it's just easier to be able to strap both kids in and just go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd probably wait and see. We ditched the double stroller for good right around my sons second birthday and haven't had a need for it since.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member
    Our kids are a little over 21 months apart. We waited on the double and still haven't bought one.
    We ended up buying a buggy board/seat that attaches to our stroller. We attached it to our jogger and mainly use it in the neighborhood.
    DD2 is young enough that we still use a snap N go for shopping and such. DD1 will "ride" on the back of the SNG or walk. I also throw the Ergo in the basket if we'll be out a little while. That way I can carry DD2 if she needs to nurse or carry DD1 on my back if she is tired or just needs to be contained a little.
    Here is the one we got.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AQLGO2?pc_redir=1401238934&robot_redir=1
  • Options
    I love my baby jogger double summit! 6mo old & 2yr old(in 1 week) and a 5 yr old and i use it all the time. I rarely wore my youngest. I added a carseat body support to the stroller for the baby and my toddler in the other side and my oldest rides his bike. LOVE it for jogs, walks hikes, Zoo trips and more
  • Options
    I still use our double and our oldest is almost 3. That being said I don't use it a LOT. We frequent Target a lot and I always used the cart. I don't go to the mall often but it would be a must have there, or for walks, zoos etc

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Options
    I will also have a 20 month old when this baby is born!  So while I haven't had experience with this yet, I did realize the other day that I've used my son's stroller a grand total of 2 times (6 times if you count the 4 times I used it to push carry on luggage through the airport).  I wear my son in the Lillebaby everywhere we go and now that he's walking I carry him until he's too heavy and then make him walk a bit.  I think to start I will avoid a double stroller.  I imagine with two I'll use it more, but will likely use it to push DS and then wear the new baby in a carrier.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I would look for a sit n stand at a garage sale or craigslist- they're really nice to have for bigger trips, but IMO not worth spending an arm and a leg on.
    IMG_0663
  • Options
    My first two are 23 months apart and the double is very helpful, especially as the baby gets heavier.  I find babywearing harder in the summer (too hot!)  We have a Phil & Ted's Dot, I love it.  It's an inline stroller, and the second seat detaches, so if you only have one kid with you or the older one wants to walk, you're not pushing around a giant sit & stand.  The second seat is low to the ground, so my oldest can climb in and out of it on his own.
  • Options
    I'm new to this board but wanted to put in my two cents. I am a foster parent and have two little girls, siblings ages 2.5 and 1 yr old. I am also due in three weeks with our first bio child. We purchased a double stroller after our baby shower. Our stroller had multiple seating arrangements and I plan on baby wearing the newborn. Right now I use the double stroller if I'm out running errands by myself but once the baby gets here it will be a requirement, especially so I don't have to carry diaper bag.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    Love my double stroller! My son is a runner too so being able to snap him into a seat was much easier. Having to chase a 2 year old while carrying / holding a baby is not fun! Especially when they do the limp lay on the ground thing lol  He would have just stood up and run away with a sit and stand. I use mine at the zoo, mall, park, fairs... It's really all about your lifestyle and what you are comfortable with. I was a stroller mom even when I had one.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It just depends on your kids and your lifestyle. My girls are 23 months apart. We live out in a rural area, so we rarely do walks around the neighborhood (because there is no neighborhood), and when we went places my older daughter was pretty good about staying close, holding hands, ect so we just used our single for the baby, or babywore. This summer I got a more rugged double jogger in an attempt to be able to go for walks down our dirt roads/trails, but the stinkers won't ride in it :( If you think you'd like to get one, I'd suggest searching craigslist or thrift stores, so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg :) Those suckers can be expensive!
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"