Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

baby after m/c

I had a miscarriage on Monday May 5th. Mine happened naturally at home and i had expelled everything by the time I got to Dr. I did not have to have a D&C. She told us she would like for us to wait a few months before ttc again, but husband and I want to try again right away. I feel we should start trying as soon as my period comes back. Anyone have any advice or experience with baby after miscarriage?

Re: baby after m/c

• Options
    Sorry for your loss.  Listen to the advice of your doctor.  Your body is going through a lot of changes right now.  Your doctor probably has a very good reason for why she wants you to wait.  

BFP: 3/9/2014  EDD: 11/11/2014  MMC: 4/10/2014  D&C: 4/11/2014
  • Options
    Julz81Julz81 member
    I'm sorry about your loss. I'm in the same boat as you of not wanting to wait past my first period.. but my dr said to wait 3 months so we are going to try even though we really don't want to. I am getting blood work every Friday to see when my numbers are finally back to 0 but think we will still wait. I would love to hear what others have to say about this too!

BFP: 04/03/2014  EDD: 12/15/2014  HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    biojessbiojess member
    I have read in a few different books that one of the big reasons to wait three months is so that your body can rebuild vitamin and mineral stores. Having those as healthy as possible makes for a healthier baby, mom, and pregnancy. I understand that it can be difficult to wait, but the doctor does advise the wait for both your health and the health of the hopeful future baby.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. How long did it take for you all to have a cycle after m/c?
  • Options
    LisaG09LisaG09 member
    I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm going to second what everybody else has said. Different doctors say different things, if you are questioning your doctor's judgment, ask the doctor why they say three cycles and see how their answer effects you. Maybe see a different doctor if you'd like. And to answer your second question, I'd suggest charting if you aren't already. Charting isn't for everybody but once I got in the habit, it's been second nature to me. It also helps you to know what's going on. I started temping immediately after my D&C and my temps were all over the place. I hated not knowing what was going on. Then last week my chart told me that I'd ovulated (though it was very late in the cycle) If it wasn't for charting, I'd probably be half crazy by now! My cycles were usually 28 days, I'm on day 35 now but at least I know what's going on. If things go as they used to, then my cycle was only about ten days longer than usual. Good luck!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    First, I'm sorry for your loss. Second, it is best to follow medical advice. Your body has been through a traumatic experience and needs to heal itself. Your body may bounce back or may need some time to adjust. I would bring up any concerns you have with your doc and make the decision that you and your husband feel comfortable with.

For me, I was told by my MFM to wait 6 months due to having a 2nd tri loss. My OB at my first follow up said there was no need to wait. I had another follow up yesterday (for bleeding concerns) and talked about the conflicting answers and my concerns. This OB really put it in my hands. She told me to try when I'm ready. Still going to wait but I know now it's not so medical but more emotional.

As for cycles, my first period was 4 weeks after my loss. I then had another period less then 4 weeks later. I doubt I ovulated on either of those cycles. I started charting again to see what is going on. My periods were nothing like before- no cramps, never this short (usually 40-50 days a cycle).
  • Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. As other ladies have mentioned, please listen to your doctor. I don't want to scare you, but I know a woman who conceived right after a miscarriage, and the baby was born with spina bifida. Your body needs time to recover from the pregnancy. I understand it is hard to wait. If you want to try sooner talk to your doctor about your feelings, so she can explain her reasoning to you or possibly give you the go ahead to try sooner. (And you probably know this, but make sure you are taking your prenatal vitamins during this time so that all those essential vitamins will be available for your rainbow baby). 
    DD1 Sept 2010
    DD2 Dec 2012
    Natural M/C April 2014 (10wks)
    BFP July 4th 2014

• Options
    tlboatner said:
    Thank you ladies. How long did it take for you all to have a cycle after m/c?

just over 7 weeks for my first AF following my d&c. Hoping for my second AF to start tomorrow which would mean my cycles are back on track.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Options
    My doctor said one cycle, and I think mentally I was ready to go forward this month, but my body is still a little out of whack. My first cycle post D&C came 30 days after the procedure. It was an odd cycle (kind of started, stopped, then started again and lots of clots - fairly common apparently). My second cycle started last Friday - only 21 days after the last. It was super heavy the first 48 hours. Anyway, what I have determined is that while I may be emotionally ready, my body is saying wait a little more. We are TTA until my next cycle. There is some evidence that getting pregnant again in 6 months leads to a better second attempt, but I have only seen one study that really explored that. Allow yourself to heal, often the first reaction is to try again right away, but the emotions are funny and a lot of women seem to go through many different thoughts on it over the subsequent weeks. I hope you feel better soon.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences and giving advice!
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I had a D&C on April 1 and am still waiting for AF to show. I was 9 weeks along, MMC, baby stopped growing at 6 weeks.

My OB said to wait 2 cycles, but then said 1 would be ok too. He did mention that there's a slightly increased chance of m/c again if you conceive too soon after a m/c, and that he wouldn't want me to risk that.
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    My D&C was 4 weeks ago today and I've had some very minor, light spotting the last two mornings.  Nothing to write home about, but it makes me hopeful that AF will be here soon, but am mentally preparing myself for another couple of weeks without because I can tell my body is in a wonky state right now.

BFP: 3/9/2014  EDD: 11/11/2014  MMC: 4/10/2014  D&C: 4/11/2014
  • Options
    @MrsKush1014‌, light spotting preceded my first AF for 2-3 days following my d&c. It came 7 weeks after the procedure. Prayers that yours arrives any day.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Options
     I am sorry for your loss

I got my first AF a little over 6 weeks after my D&C, which was along the lines of my normal cycle (33 days pre D&C).
    I was also told 3 months, but if my next AF is pretty normal again I am going to go in and see if we start TTC after only 2 cycles. 
    I agree with everyone to talk it over with your doctor and see how your body is. If you are planning on TTC right away you should take a prenatal if you aren't already. My doctor told me to keep taking them after my D&C even if we aren't TTC right away so that you body is getting everything it needs. 
    BFP #1 1/4/14  |  Diagnosed with Trisomy 13 at 12 weeks 3/6/14  |  MMC 3/21/14  |   D&C 3/24/14
    BFP #2 7/1/14  |  DS born March 2015
    BFP#3 5/22/17 | MC 6/17/17 at 7w3d
  • Options
    I had a D&C about 2 weeks ago and my post op check up Monday. I've healed completely, spotting stopped 11 days after the procedure, and blood draw says hormones are back to normal. Since I am pushing 40 (aack!), my doc wants me to wait only for 1 cycle before trying again. I am back on prenatal vitamins and she ordered us to use protection before I have the first period. Fingers crossed AF returns soon...
    Me:40  DH:42
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC since 12/2013
    BFP #1: 3/22/2014 EDD 11/27/14; MMC/D&C 4/28/14
    BFP #2 : 11/27/2014 EDD 8/7/2015, MMC diagnosis 1/5/15, NMC 1/7/15...loss due to Trisomy 3 
    Benched pending RE test results
  • Options

With both of my miscarriages (which were at 5w and 6w, both natural) my physician said I could start trying right away.  My doc said that a lot of times, physicians will tell you to wait a month so that they will be able to track your cycle better, which will help figure out the appropriate due date for your next pregnancy.  However, with today's technlogy ultrasounds will be able to give you an accurate due date/age of fetus.  Physicians will also tell you to wait depending on the extent of the miscarriage (natural, D&C, week) etc.

With my first miscarriage, my husband and I started trying right away.  We looked at the miscarriage as my "period" so two weeks later we started trying.  Remember, this was with my physician's blessing because we had an early, natural miscarriage.  We were blessed to get pregnant that month with our DD.  After the second miscarriage (Jun 13) we will be trying right away and not taking a month or two off. 

I would listen to your physician, but find out exactly why he wants you to wait.  My physician also told me that my body won't ovulate until it's ready, so it might be right away or it could take a few months.  I hope this helps and I am truly sorry for your loss.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @greenwl Please do not go through and bump up/comment on old posts. This can be very hurtful to all involved. There is a sticky thread at the top of the board asking you not to do this. I suggest you read it. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    I would wait. I am going to wait a long while before trying again. I had a natural M/C on May 1, AF June 12, and got a BFP on July 16 and now I'm have another M/C or possible ectopic. I really wish we waited longer. I know that MC are supposed to be no faults but I seriously think I screwed myself over by rushing into this again. The physical pain is much worse and so is the guilt. I strongly suggest waiting for your physical and mental health. Sorry for your loss and good luck on healing and conceiving in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"