3rd Trimester

Legs cramping up all night long

This is the third night in a row that I have woken up to very bad leg cramps. Kinda of like a charlie horse but in my thighs too. Is there something I can take for this? Between the wicked heartburn, having to get up and pee 3 times a night and now this, I'm not sleeping at all. Not to mention all the bending and squatting I'm doing picking up after my boys my legs are super sore too. I wish they looked as tight as they feel!
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Legs cramping up all night long

• make sure you are well hydrated! i've had 2 epic charlie horses this pregnancy. the first one my leg was sore for about 4 days! i also hear potassium helps - eat a banana!

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told to drink a glass of milk before bed. That actually helped! Try it. Also, before going to bed stretch and massage your legs to make sure they aren't tense. Especially since you are cleaning up after your boys and bending a lot, I am sure that isn't helping.

image    image    

• Loading the player...
  • NADA-HNADA-H member
    leg cramps were pushing me to tears and here are some things which actually helped A LOT.

-Get your calcium and magnesium levels checked, you might need a supplement

-do some stretch exercises on daily bases.

-If you've been on your feet all day do take some time off to sit and put your feet up

-eat a banana a day

-drink plenty of water

and finally if you do get a spasm in your leg flex your foot calmly and do not get up or try to stand and it will go away if you get tense or put pressure on it it will get worse 
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    Unwrapped bar of plain Ivory soap.  I've had a habit of eating a banana a day for decades, have worked out 3-4 days a week and only drink water (with maybe a glass of soda once a month- MAYBE) and it doesn't matter whenever I'm pregnant I get exactly what you describe.  So I do the soap and put it in my sheets up against my leg and is done.  There was a time when after changing the sheets I forgot and woke up in the middle of the night, grabbed the bar of soap and rubbed my leg and it instantly went away.  Not sure why it works but if you google it you will find a lot of information saying how it does work but there really is no explanation.  Plus, what do you have to loose- it costs $3 for a 3 pack and everyone can use bar soap right?
  • I haven't gotten one really bad yet, but I've been close! As soon as I feel one coming on, I immediately straighten my leg, and flex my foot. Its been happening a lot to me lately, too. But, so far, just by doing that I've been able to avoid the bad ones. It seems counter-intuitive to flex it, but it does avoid the cramping up, by stretching the muscle.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I get these horribly and it all comes back to how hydrated I am. The knot and pain will go away as I'm guzzling water and can't move because it hurts so bad. Stay hydrated!
    Married my best friend on 5/14/05
    Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
    One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
    And another Princess coming 7/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"