Cloth Diapering

Flats vs. Prefolds and OS Covers

We have been CDing LO for a little over a month now and since we jumped in late to the game we went the quick and easy route and got all 4.0 BG pockets. These have worked great for us since LO either goes to Daycare or is watched by DH or grandparents while I work. However, reading on this board and learning more about CDing, I am interested in trying something new in addition to my pockets.

I know that Prefolds are similar to flats, except that they have the extra absorbancy in the center. Is there really any other difference? Is it more just a personal preference when deciding Prefolds vs. Flats? It seems that this board likes GMD Prefolds, any other recommendations for Prefolds or flats?

I am leaning towards OS Covers, which brands seem to be the best value or your favorites?

Last question, since I already have a 24 diaper change stash would 6 prefolds/flats and 2 covers be a good start to try things out?

Thanks in advance for letting me ask my million questions!

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

Re: Flats vs. Prefolds and OS Covers

• Flats are one large (usually either 27" x 27" or 29" x 29" ) single layer of material.  You custom fold it to fit your LO and give absorbency (more layers) where your LO needs it.  Prefolds are essentially a flat "pref-folded" so that its 4 layers of material everywhere but the center strip which is 8 layers.  You still do a bit of folding to get it on your LO.

I'm at work so I can't link, but YouTube has some great videos on folding flats and prefolds.  That mgiht help you decide which you like better. I personally like flats a bit better because they arent' sized so you can use them longer.  Also they are trimmer pad folded and laid in a cover than a prefold is, and that's typically what we do now.

As far as brands, I've tried Osocosy, Sweet Pea, GMD, and Imagines. They are all good IMO.  It just depends on if you want more sizes (to give a better fit) or less sizes (to allow you to use them longer).

Covers - I love Sweet Pea OS, Blueberry Coveralls, Best Bottoms (you don't have to get their inserts), and Thirsties Duo size 2 on my 19 month old.  We've been using them since he was around 4 months old.

Yes, I think 6 prefolds/flats and two covers is a good starting point. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Now I'm due in Aug so take my comments with a grain of salt if you must...

flats are great if you need to hand was and line dry. They are thinner so hand washing goes a lot quicker and dry times are less as well. They are also great as an all the way through diaper (they last from birth to potty training since they are pretty large) you sometimes need to be creative with folding especially as baby grows but once a good fold is found then your gold.

prefolds are smaller and have extra layers in them. As baby grows you'll need to purchase larger prefolds but the prefolds from earlier (newborn, small ect) are great for stuffing pocket diapers or you can jelly roll fold and place into a cover.

It is suggested to invest in prefolds, covers and cheaper fitteds for the newborn stage since baby goes a lot and it's easier to get a good fit on baby. Since you are past the newborn phase you are probably ok with some prefolds and/or flats and a couple of covers to add to your stash (even to just try them out).
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Prefolds do not have extra absorbency compared to flats, it is the same amount of fabric. Prefolds are just flats that have been folded for you. So the main difference is that flats are a teeny bit more work. The other main difference is that flats will basically fit from nb to PT, but with prefolds you will need a minimum of 2 different sizes. Some people use up to 4 or 5 different size prefolds. We use 3 sizes: nb, 7-15lbs, and 15-30lbs. Technically we don't have to use the nb, but all that extra bulk is tricky in a nb so I like them. For covers I like a two size system instead of OS. Thirsties has this, but my favorite are Assunta covers. They are about the cheapest out there, but I love them more than any other cover I have tried. I love the no brand Indian cotton prefolds from Nicki's. They are excellent quality and almost half the price of GMD. You can get plain Indian cotton prefolds anywhere that might be the same, but Nickis has the best price that I have found.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks for your responses. I will have to pick up some FSTs and see how I like folding them.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• CLLDLL said:

Flats are one large (usually either 27" x 27" or 29" x 29" ) single layer of material.  You custom fold it to fit your LO and give absorbency (more layers) where your LO needs it.  Prefolds are essentially a flat "pref-folded" so that its 4 layers of material everywhere but the center strip which is 8 layers.  You still do a bit of folding to get it on your LO.

I'm at work so I can't link, but YouTube has some great videos on folding flats and prefolds.  That mgiht help you decide which you like better. I personally like flats a bit better because they arent' sized so you can use them longer.  Also they are trimmer pad folded and laid in a cover than a prefold is, and that's typically what we do now.

As far as brands, I've tried Osocosy, Sweet Pea, GMD, and Imagines. They are all good IMO.  It just depends on if you want more sizes (to give a better fit) or less sizes (to allow you to use them longer).

Covers - I love Sweet Pea OS, Blueberry Coveralls, Best Bottoms (you don't have to get their inserts), and Thirsties Duo size 2 on my 19 month old.  We've been using them since he was around 4 months old.

Yes, I think 6 prefolds/flats and two covers is a good starting point. 

I love the thoroughness of your answers so much!

• Another flat user here. My mom made our flats from diaper flannel she ordered online from a fabric store. They ended up being way, way more expensive than those you can find pre-made, but anyway... Ours are about 27"x27". We have used a triangle fold, kite fold, and origami fold. DS is nearly two. An origami folded flat will get him through 2 or 3 hours during the day. At night, I add a Thirsties velour doubler and a second flat folded into the first, and that will get him through 12 hours leak free.

My little guy is fairly small (short and skinny). I like GroVia covers because they're so trim. I don't care for the mesh lining on the inside, however. Thirsties DuoWraps are great, and of all the covers we've used, they're my mom's favorite (she watches DS during the day) as well as mine. Both have held up really well despite heavy use. I can't say the same for the Flips covers we used.
  • haileyq said:
    I love the thoroughness of your answers so much!
    Awww thanks! 

image imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"