May 2014 Moms

Breast Pump Question

I am getting ready to order mine now and had a question.  I have three options, Medela, Ameda, and Hygeia.  

The Ameda comes with the cooler bag, bottles, and four different breast shield sizes.

The Medela comes with just one size shield and two bottles.

Those are the two I am considering.  Would you go with the one that came with more accessories?  I don't really know the difference between the two brands.

Re: Breast Pump Question

• Medela, is what most hospitals use
  • jenb_99jenb_99 member
    edited April 2014
    I ordered the Medela one just because I'm familiar with the brand and it's easier to buy compatible parts for. It's also the brand more hospitals use, as PP said, which often means you get better, more knowledgeable support from the lactation consultants. The bottles and cooler bag weren't a factor for me since I plan to use Avent bottles and Lansinoh storage bags, and I already have an insulated lunch tote I can use if I need it.

Edited: Words be hard, yo.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • I used a hand-me-down (with new tubes and shields) Ameda Purely Yours double pump before getting a Medela Pump In Style.

I much preferred the Medela. It was more comfortable and had the let down feature which was nice.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ns1ns1 member
    I've only used Medela but had luck with it. I've also only used one size shield...I have multiples of that size, but for me, four different sizes wouldn't be helpful. I also just bought lunch coolers as bottle coolers.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I only had the option of the Ameda Purely Yours with my insurance, so I'm stuck with that one. I would have preferred to get the Medela PISA though. I haven't used it yet (obviously) but the Ameda looks nice and seems easy enough to use. 
    I would say perhaps if you plan to pump at work/out of the house the cooler bag may be worth it? Probably just splitting hairs at that point though.
  • This is the Medela my insurance will pay for:

Medela Advanced Portable Double Breast Pump W/O accessories (MY57081)

• Personal-use pump
    • 2-Phase Expression® technology with one-touch let-down button
    • Adjustable vacuum settings
    • Compact motor unit in a soft bag
    • Compatible with Medela Battery Pack
    • Double pumping kit with: Medium (24mm) breast shields, 2- 5oz/150 ML breast milk bottles and power adaptor.

For additional information, please visit:

• edited April 2014

This is the Medela my insurance will pay for:

Medela Advanced Portable Double Breast Pump W/O accessories (MY57081)

• Personal-use pump
    • 2-Phase Expression® technology with one-touch let-down button
    • Adjustable vacuum settings
    • Compact motor unit in a soft bag
    • Compatible with Medela Battery Pack
    • Double pumping kit with: Medium (24mm) breast shields, 2- 5oz/150 ML breast milk bottles and power adaptor.

For additional information, please visit:

I would go with this one.

The Ameda Purely Yours that I used was only used once by my SIL and she did not use it much or for very long. It died pretty quickly (as in, the motor ran low and died even when plugged straight into the wall).

I BF'd DD1 for 14 months (no formula supplementation) and was back at work and pumping when she was 3 months old, so my Medela got alot of use and is still going strong and ready for #2.

So, IMO, if you're in it for the long haul, I would trust the Medela over the Ameda if you've got a choice. You can always pick up a cooler bag separately.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• Thanks for the advice ladies!
  • Its awesome that your insurance covers a breast pump. I have only used a Medela and I haven't had an issues with it.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

• I've heard that the medela pump can collect bacteria and get very moldy inside where as the Ameda pump does not because of the way it's constructed (not from personal experience but have heard this from others). Also, the Ameda has a few different options for suction and speed to mimic your baby's feeding patterns and the medela I think has one or two options.
  • Ours was the same three choices. I couldn't decide since I had a used Ameda last time and it was great just on its last leg. I have all the accessories for it and parts. I did use the coolers bag but something that could've been easily replaced with a thirty one cooler bag.

I ended up ordering the Medela and just got my email saying it's been shipped and will be here in a few days. With my Ameda I bought parts online and at babies r us but since we only have a Walmart here, I knew they sold Medela accessories and I could get more here locally!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• The Lactation consultant at my hospital told me that the makers of both Ameda and Medela where once the same company that split a few years back, so essentially they are the same product.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"