Trying to Get Pregnant

Did anybody go to beauty school?

Just an option I'm looking into. I'm really into makeup and hair and I basically want to know if it is worth it? Is there any money to be made? My area doesn't have amazing beauty schools but does it matter where I go if I do go? I want to go to a good school. This is something that was always in the back of my mind, even before I started school for business. I just worry about money, I want to be able to succeed. Any suggestions?

Married 9/28/13    Not TTC but I will love the ladies of the TTGP board forever           

image image

Every time I see this dog, I want it. 

TTGP April siggy challenge
image     Turbo Man

Re: Did anybody go to beauty school?

• I went to beauty school and was a hairstylist for 8 years, until I decided to be a SAHM back in October. I absolutely love doing hair, and I loved my career in the hair industry!

That being said, the first two years of building a clientele can be a real struggle. There are a lot of weeks where you hardly make any money. It's much easier once you build up your client base, but it takes time and patience. 

Also, the hours take a while to adjust to. You will make the most money in the evenings and on Saturdays, especially when you first start. And that can be a bit of a challange once you have kids. Its much more difficult to find childcare with those hours.

Just a few things to consider :)
    BFP #1: 5-14-2010, DD born 1-22-2011
    BFP #2: 4-20-2012, Natural MC 5-1-2012
    BFP #3: 7-19-2012, DS born 3-27-2013
    BFP #4: 9-13-2014, MMC discovered 10-27-14 at 10w, d&c on 11-6-14 

• My step mom is a hair dresser and owns her own place. 

She does, however, work her ASS off. And has since day one. It's a lot of work, a lot of hours on your feet, etc. etc. And it does take a while to build up clientele, but if you love people and love hair you should do it. She loves talking to people and is a well known person in town and knows everyone. She loves it, but it's hard. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • You can certainly make a decent living at it. I'm not rolling in the dough, but I for sure do ok. You can do very well if you're in a city working at a high end salon, or of course, working in the movie industry.

PP was right about starting out though. It can be tough when you're building up a new clientele, but if you love it, it's worth it.

Ask around to find out about schools in your area. Pop into a salon and ask the stylists (if they have a minute) where they went and where they'd recommend. They mostly just teach the basics, but having great teachers will give you an edge.

• Thank you for all the answers girls:)

Married 9/28/13    Not TTC but I will love the ladies of the TTGP board forever           

image image

Every time I see this dog, I want it. 

TTGP April siggy challenge
    image     Turbo Man

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"