September 2014 Moms

sharing name

So we have picked a name but dh doesn't want to share it yet. My friend wants to get a bag for the baby with her name this Sunday at a 31 party. And I feel bad that I won't tell her the name we chose. But at the same time I'm only 19 weeks and my hubby has at right to not want to announce the name but everyone wants to know it. What the heck announced I suppose to do?

Re: sharing name

• That stinks but I would respect DH's wishes.
  • Respect DH's wishes - it is just as much his child as yours. I would explain to your friend, and she can order the gift after the name is announced.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you just tell your friend that you haven't decided on a name yet? Many people don't decide until after the baby is born, so it's not all that uncommon. We are sharing this time so that's our story. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JSS1002 said:
    Respect DH's wishes - it is just as much his child as yours. I would explain to your friend, and she can order the gift after the name is announced.

This.

• I agree with everyone and respect your DH. We kept my DDs name a secret till she was born because 1. I'm mean and liked just having something to myself 2. I didn't want to feel locked into the name if I heard something I liked better or she was born and the name just didn't fit.
  • Definetly respect you husbands wishes.
    Or maybe just have your friend put your last name on the bag? Maybe lame, but it's better than disrespecting hubs.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS1: 8/26/09    |    DS2: 11/1/11

May Siggy, Favorite Onscreen Mom - Sophia, Golden Girls                                                                          
    image image
  • I agree with PP I would respect DH wishes and just tell her you haven't made a final decision.
  • We are not telling either. It's hard when you're excited, but it's going to be more important to your husband than your friend.
  • I would respect your DH's wishes. Your minds may change after a while anyway.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would 100% respect my husband's wishes. I am lucky that neither my husband or I wanted to keep the name we picked a secret; however, I know plenty of Mom's or Dad's who do not want to share until after the baby is born. Just tell your friend that you guys are not ready to share the name yet; and hopefully she will respect that. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• I see no reason to lie to your friend. She should understand you respecting your husband's wishes. Just tell her you aren't telling people right now. We have decided and we aren't telling anyone. If people ask, I tell them that. Sorry, but it's our right and they can't do anything about if they don't like it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We aren't announcing our name to the general public either until he is born. My best friend knows and our parents know and that's it. We told them to please not tell anyone and we are just telling most people that we either aren't sure yet or that we want it to be a surprise once he is here. No one has really given me a hard time about it :) Good luck!
    Me - 26 - Suspected PCOS
    DH - 28 - Slightly low T and low morphology

Jan 2011 - Stop BCP
    Jan/Feb 2013 - Normal hormone panel/HSG - tubes clear
    April 2013 - DH's bloodwork and SA - low T and 0% morphology - Start DH on Clomid and vitamin regimen 
    May 2013 - start metformin for PCOS but ended up stopping in July 2013 due to elevated liver function
    Sept 2013 - first RE appointment/follow-up SA shows 2% morph!!
    October 2013 - IUI #1 - 50mg Clomid CD4-8, 100mg Clomid CD12-16, Ovidrel - BFN
    November 2013 - IUI #2 - 5mg Femara CD4-8, Ovidrel - Chemical pregnancy :'(
    December 2013 - IUI #3 - 5mg Femara CD3-7, Ovidrel - BFP!!!!!!! Beta 1: 157, Beta 2: 636 (doubling time 35.67 hours)
    January 14, 2014 - Viability ultrasound - Measuring 7w4d with a beautiful heart beat of 146bpm!!!
    February 17, 2014 - NT scan - Everything looks perfect! Heartbeat of 162bpm!
    April 3, 2014 - AS scan - Still looks perfect! Heartbeat of 135bpm :) It's a BOY!!!
  • We're not sharing either. Sometimes I really want to, but I think it's best. I like having this one thing just between DH and I, and plus we still have 22 weeks to go. A lot can change in 22 weeks and I don't want to be tied down to a name this early. Plus, we don't want other people's opinions on the name! 
    S14 Remembers our Angel Babies

S14 September Siggy - Show to binge-watch when the baby comes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Respect DH's wishes for sure. I had a family friend try and pressure me to reveal DS' name (which honestly wasn't even decided until the very last minute) because she wanted to monogram a quilt. I was like, give up lady.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• You should just tell her she has to wait until you announce the name. She can order 31 anytime and get it monogrammed anytime too. She can buy the bag but she can wait to put a name on it until you announce it. Respect your DHs wishes. I'm at the same spot with my sister, i have a name in mind but DH isn't quite on board and now she wants to start getting stuff with his name on it. I have to tell her everyday, that's how often it is, that we don't have a name yet and we aren't going to rush it for her.
  • No need to commit to a name or share it. Its one of those things you can keep private. We never agreed on a name until we were driving to the hospital for our second child. I think putting your last name on it is a much better idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"