September 2014 Moms

Rocker vs Glider?

Anyone have input on what moms and babies prefer more - rocker or glider? I have my eye on one of each. They're both comfortable but I like the look and comfort of the rocker a little better. I also feel like babies would like the rocking motion more than the gliding motion but I'm not sure. My husband gets motion sickness with certain things and he thinks rocking would do that to him more than gliding, but I've read that a lot of people say gliders actually cause motion sickness. So basically I'm team rocker and he's team glider, but nether of us really know for sure. What do you all think?

Re: Rocker vs Glider?

• I think it's totally personal preference.  Maybe try to go to the store where your two options are located(if that's possible) and sit in each one?  That way you can kinda test drive and see what y'all like better! GL!

• I think you have to go try them out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's personal preference. One thing to consider, though, is whether you have other kids or pets who might get fingers, toes, or tails stuck under the rocker.
  • Keep in mind - what's comfy for him may no be comfy for you and I know we don't have it in our budget to afford 2 different gliders/rockers - so you also need to have a serious conversation and decide which one of you will be in charge of most of the feedings - because that's the person who's preference will hold more weight.  And unfortunately, whoever will not be in charge of the feedings will have to deal.  

But DEFINITELY TEST THEM OUT.  The one I thought I would love I hated and the one I never thought I would like I loved and was the most comfortable.

• Gliders seem safer to me because you can't be rocked on and we plan to have a few kids.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Advice from Consumer Reports regarding Gliders:

"Lock or protective cover for gliding mechanism

Choose a glider that locks in place or that has a base that's constructed to hide the gliding mechanism if you have a toddler or if you have only a newborn now but plan to have more than one child. You don't want to be gliding when you're feeding your newborn if there's a curious toddler underfoot; little fingers can get caught in the gliding mechanism. You'll also want to lock it to keep your toddler safe when you're not around."

• I had a glider that I thought I would love, but after breaking my tailbone during delivery I couldn't sit on it comfortably. We then went out & bought a nice, big, leather recliner that rocks. We put that in our bedroom & I LOVED it while nursing DS. We still love it!! I got rid of the glider & will use the rocking recliner with this LO. It was nice to be able to recline a little at 3am. haha 
  • Advice from Consumer Reports regarding Gliders:

"Lock or protective cover for gliding mechanism

Choose a glider that locks in place or that has a base that's constructed to hide the gliding mechanism if you have a toddler or if you have only a newborn now but plan to have more than one child. You don't want to be gliding when you're feeding your newborn if there's a curious toddler underfoot; little fingers can get caught in the gliding mechanism. You'll also want to lock it to keep your toddler safe when you're not around."

Ummm can't little fingers get squished under the rocking chair, too?

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• LoveOBX917LoveOBX917 member
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I guess it is just personal preference after all. I'm going for the upholstered type of chair and they're really expensive so just want to make sure I don't regret my decision. I didn't know if someone had any love it/hate it kinda feelings about their chair. Team rocker may win this one. It's from pb kids, very pretty and comfy.

@carmstr4‌ I was thinking the same thing -- sounds like you have to watch out for tails/fingers/toes/etc for both options.
  • I'm a FTM but I was a nanny for several years and I always preferred a glider to a rocker. The movement is a lot smoother and easier to control (stop and go) than some rockers. Some rockers you really have to put your back into it! :D lol And that can be hard to do when you're trying to get a screaming infant to calm down.

I also love how the gliders have matching ottomans now. They are a great way to relax your posture while trying to relax baby. The only downfall I can see with gliders is that they can be WAY easy to fall asleep in, so be aware of that for midnight feedings or long afternoons!

• I have no experience being a ftm but we opted for a glider. Biggest perk is the gliding ottoman that comes with it. I feel I'll want my feet up and for them to move with the rest of my body!

Married: 6/4/2005Start TTC early 2012 May 2013: PCOS Diagnosis August 2013: Uterine Septum Removal November 2013: 1st round clomid, ovidrel trigger December 2013: 2nd round clomid, ovidrel trigger, BFP!!! August 2014: Baby girl arrives! February 2016: Ready for #2 May 2016: starting again with clomid, ovidrel trigger June 2016:  BFP!!! EDD: 2/21/16

• We have the Dutalier glider which I like but BBB has this super upholstered 1.5 size seat glider rocker chair that was uhmazing. I used it to nurse one day in their nursing room and was like omg I need this for sure
    About to be 2 under 2 up in here!

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"