February 2014 Moms
Options

I need a rat trap... (NBR)

...big enough to capture a human.

(Possibly a long post... Be prepared)

Yesterday, DH, LO, DS1 and I went out quickly to Target (I know... quick trips and Target are never used in the same sentence, but I swear we were in and out) and we were gone for maybe an hour total. This included stopping at the grocery store. Upon arriving home, something didnt feel "right". Almost as if someone was home. I immediately thought my FIL had gotten off work early, but his lunchbox wasn't here so I knew he hadn't been. I didn't even have time to tell my DH my thought that the house felt funny before he came to me saying, "It feels like someone was here."

We checked closets, under the beds, in all of the rooms... Nothing, well no one was there. The last place we checked was my FIL's room and immediately we noticed that his big change container was gone. Someone DID break in and stole at least that... I'm not sure what else.

We are 99.999999% it was our next door neighbor. He is weird and watches us way too much for no reason. My FIL caught him staring up into his bedroom window yesterday and as soon as he saw my FIL he took off. And he asked my DH yesterday a bunch of times "what is going on? What happened?" When we were talking about the theft... IN OUR LIVING ROOM. How did he hear us?! Why was he listening so intently?!

I'm not sure what we should do. Cops? Maybe... But my FIL was reluctant to do that. I feel violated and I'm scared to sleep now at night. I may or may not have set up a trap on the other side of my bedroom door last night.

In all seriousness, what should we do? I have to walk by his door (that is always open) every single day and its bothering me. I'm afraid my FIL pissed him off last night and I'm terrified he will retaliate. Help!

:-S

Re: I need a rat trap... (NBR)

• Options
    That was long. So sorry. :(
  • Options
    Do you live in a duplex or apartment??
    Feb 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do y'all know how he got in?
  • Options
    Yes, we live in a complex. And he is our next door neighbor but we live back in a small "hallway" type thing. Our door is not next to anyone's. it's a good 10+ feet away AND around a corner. It's just really weird. And no... We don't know how he got in. We locked our door when we left and when we came back, it was unlocked. So the front door.. But not sure how???!
  • Options
    I'd report it to the property management, at the very least. And I'd continue to document/report every weird thing that happens (looking into windows, etc.). They may handle it.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I would set up a nanny can to catch your 'rat'. He would have a hard time fighting his own image on film.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks you guys for your advice! I can't be the one to contact management because its not my apartment, but I'm hoping my FIL will. In the meantime, I'm going to write down everything that happens. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks @shellbell3845‌ and @RondackHiker‌ for that suggestion.
  • Options
    It really seems like everything is snowballing lately. When it rains it pours, and it's comforting to have you guys here to help! Thank you.
  • Options
    JA82406 said:

Thanks you guys for your advice! I can't be the one to contact management because its not my apartment, but I'm hoping my FIL will. In the meantime, I'm going to write down everything that happens. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks @shellbell3845‌ and @RondackHiker‌ for that suggestion.

Does management know you live there? Because unless you're flying under the radar, I'd think you could talk to management with no issue. I once reported something about an apartment I was house sitting. There wasn't an issue. If it's truly an issue, please talk FiL into reporting -- otherwise go to the police yourself. It's important all of this is documented.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Someone broke into your home and stole something. Why the hell is there any hesitation about calling the police?!

image image
  • Options
    And by have a record, I meant one with the police. Not one you write yourself.

image image
  • Options

Someone broke into your home and stole something. Why the hell is there any hesitation about calling the police?!

It was my first reaction to call. But my FIL told us not to. I'm not sure what his reasoning was but I just might say "F-you" and do it anyways. If nothing more than to make a report.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"