Nurseries and Baby Gear

Baby Jogger City Mini 2012 vs. 2014?

I know there have been some discussions already on here about the City Mini vs. the City Mini GT, but my question is pertaining to whether the City Mini 2014 is really any "better" in quality than the City Mini 2012. I know that part of the new updates include new colors and a new logo, but I'm not concerned about purely cosmetic features. What I'm wondering is whether the "new and improved" harness system is really any better in the 2014 vs. the 2012, as it seems to me that's the only other difference between the 2012 and 2014 models. The Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby near me are still carrying the 2012 model in stores, so I haven't been able to compare the two in person.

If you have a City Mini 2012, have you had any issues with the harness system that would make you wish you could try the new 2014 version? Or for those of you who have had the chance to compare the two in person, does the 2014 actually seem any better? My in-laws offered to buy us the stroller as a gift, so my husband and I are wondering which to order. Thanks for your input! :)

Re: Baby Jogger City Mini 2012 vs. 2014?

• asm07asm07 member
    We just bought a 2014 city mini gt. The harness seems a little easier to buckle than the older models, but honestly, we would have gotten the 2013 had it been in stock at the stores near us. We were given money to purchase a stroller and since I loved the new teal color, we decided to just order the 2014. I'd say if you've tried out the older model and like it, go with that one.
  • I have the 2012 model in regular & the got the GT a month or two before they started going on sale in 2013. The buckle is fine (as in no issues). If there is a price difference, would go with cheaper. Otherwise would go with the color you prefer.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I recently ordered the 2013 city mini gt dbl from albee baby. It was $190 cheaper. Unless the 2014 pushes it's self I think I'd rather go with saving money.

I have seen the 2014 in person. The harness system isn't really that different. It used to attach to the stroller at the child's shoulder and now it attaches on the back. It's not really spectacular. If they are the same price then ok go with the newer one.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • I recently ordered the 2013 city mini gt dbl from albee baby. It was $190 cheaper. Unless the 2014 pushes it's self I think I'd rather go with saving money. I have seen the 2014 in person. The harness system isn't really that different. It used to attach to the stroller at the child's shoulder and now it attaches on the back. It's not really spectacular. If they are the same price then ok go with the newer one.
    Haha thank you for making me laugh with your comment about the stroller pushing itself. :) Sure, I like the new colors better, but I can also save my in-laws a ton of money if they purchase the 2012 model. This is our first baby, so I want to make sure we get something that will work again in the future, and it sounds like the 2012 model is just as good. What a pitiful baby ours will be, having to endure a black stroller instead of a lime green one. ;) LOL 

Thanks for the insight! 
  • I would just say to make sure you are getting a deal on a 2012. I always like to buy the previous models because they can be very discounted. Amazon has the older ones pretty cheap recently!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• I have the 2012 model and the harness system is fine. I love my stroller and hope you will too! :-)
  • I have the 2012 and have had no issues at all with the harness. I love this stroller so much!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally agreed, @BBColt78! There's no point in getting the older model if you're paying the same price as the new one! My in-laws buy everything (and I mean EVERYTHING- LOL) on Amazon, so I texted my MIL this morning to tell her to make sure to buy the cheaper model between $160-$170. She was really excited at how affordable it is! :)  

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it and am loving The Bump so far! :) 
  • @bohemianic You will love that stroller. When I had my first daughter, I used to stalk this board like crazy because I knew nothing. This is where I learned about the City Mini. I convince all of my friends to get one!

I cannot believe the prices I've seen them marked for on Amazon! What a steal. I recently bought the City Mini Double GT for $389 on a different site. The nice thing about these strollers is you can always resell them and get a decent chunk back.

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• BBColt78 said:
    @bohemianic You will love that stroller. When I had my first daughter, I used to stalk this board like crazy because I knew nothing. This is where I learned about the City Mini. I convince all of my friends to get one!

I cannot believe the prices I've seen them marked for on Amazon! What a steal. I recently bought the City Mini Double GT for $389 on a different site. The nice thing about these strollers is you can always resell them and get a decent chunk back.

My MIL ordered a brand new City Mini 2012 for $160 that should be here at the beginning of next week! So excited! :)

We got a lot of advice from friends about strollers that were NOT good, but not a lot of advice about which ones worked well. I guess we have a lot of friends with bad luck- lol. I'm glad that so many people have had such great experiences with the City Mini; it really reaffirms for me that we made the right call. I loved how it felt when we tested it out at the store!
  • I'm waiting for my gt double to come in the mail and I'm so excited. I'm only 8w with twins but I couldn't pass up the deal on this stroller. Like PP I got it for $389 which is a killer price.

I really want to rip open the box when it comes but then I think I may want to keep it in the box just on case.
    TTC#2 January 2013
  • I'm waiting for my gt double to come in the mail and I'm so excited. I'm only 8w with twins but I couldn't pass up the deal on this stroller. Like PP I got it for $389 which is a killer price. I really want to rip open the box when it comes but then I think I may want to keep it in the box just on case.
    We opened ours up but just kept the box intact in case we need to make an exchange or refund. We were too excited to wait to see it, and we wanted to send a pic of us with the stroller in a thank-you note to my inlaws for buying it for us! ;) 

BTW, we found out in our research that Baby Jogger also offers a one-year warranty, so even if the box is messed up, they'll replace certain things if you happen to find anything that's wrong. That's a killer deal you found there!

• I'm waiting for my gt double to come in the mail and I'm so excited. I'm only 8w with twins but I couldn't pass up the deal on this stroller. Like PP I got it for $389 which is a killer price.

I really want to rip open the box when it comes but then I think I may want to keep it in the box just on case.

We opened ours up but just kept the box intact in case we need to make an exchange or refund. We were too excited to wait to see it, and we wanted to send a pic of us with the stroller in a thank-you note to my inlaws for buying it for us! ;) 

BTW, we found out in our research that Baby Jogger also offers a one-year warranty, so even if the box is messed up, they'll replace certain things if you happen to find anything that's wrong. That's a killer deal you found there!

Thanks! That's good to know about the warranty. I think I'll probably open it to show it to dh too. He hasn't seen it and wonders how easy it will be to push/turn compared to the bob.
    TTC#2 January 2013
  • I'm in the same boat, looking to buy the City Mini GT and the 2012 model seems to be super cheap ($190 brand new on ebay) and the 2014 is $350.  If the only differences are the adjustable straps (which seem to be more convenient in the 2012) and logos, then why not save $160??

Just wondering if you're happy you went with the 2012 model, and if the one year warranty is from date of purchase?  I'm assuming it must be, otherwise it wouldn't be relevant on a 2 year old product...
  • rment30 said:
    I'm in the same boat, looking to buy the City Mini GT and the 2012 model seems to be super cheap ($190 brand new on ebay) and the 2014 is $350.  If the only differences are the adjustable straps (which seem to be more convenient in the 2012) and logos, then why not save $160??

Just wondering if you're happy you went with the 2012 model, and if the one year warranty is from date of purchase?  I'm assuming it must be, otherwise it wouldn't be relevant on a 2 year old product...
    The warranty is from date of purchase :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"