Stay at Home Moms
Options

House etiquette

I recently bought a house. A few kids/moms from our old neighborhood are coming over for a play date with my LO. One of the moms had been nagging to see my house for awhile. I hadn't even gotten settled yet. I am "friends" with her only because our Los are the same age and get along. Otherwise I find her to be nosey. Is it typical to give guests a tour of your new house? I'm afraid she is going to ask but I'd rather they just stay in the family room area. It's bc she is so nosey. The rest of the moms are not.

Re: House etiquette

• Options
    I have never given a tour except for my MIL and one friend after we moved in. Honestly, if I didn't know you that well and you just offered to take me on a tour of your house, I would think it were kind of weird and maybe braggy. Like look at my sweet new house!

If she asks, maybe you can just say you're not done unpacking but another time.
  • Options
    Since it's a playdate and not a homewarming party whether you want to show your whole house or just the rooms you will be sitting in is all up to you.  Just close the doors to the rooms you don't want people to poke their heads into on their way to the bathroom.  If she says anything just say you haven't fully gotten the rooms completely "staged" yet and you'd prefer to wait until they are fully presentable and then quickly change the subject. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, it is. You could tell your nosy friend your not ready to give a tour yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think there's a point where it's normal and a point where it's not,or at least where it shouldn't be expected, if that makes sense.  

When we moved into our new house, for awhile family and friends all wanted to do a walk-through to see it the first time they came over. Then at one point DH's coworkers was coming to a party we were having, like a year after we moved in, and DH said "I'm gonna pick up upstairs, so-and-so hasn't seen the house yet" and I was like "no, we don't really need to do the tour thing anymore, we didn't just move in and if you were going to his house for a party he probably wouldn't give you a tour."
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    One of our friends came over shortly after we moved in and wanted to see the house. I should have declined because it was a wreck. I was pregnant and tired and hadn't unpacked so much stuff. I would politely say no to a tour and definitely not offer.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Around here, the tour thing is normal. It's what happens when you buy a new house. People tour it. I don't generally accompany them either...I'm like, "Sure, go check it out!"  If you don't offer, people ask. :)  I don't pick up messes if they are friends either.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I usually show people around our new house, and tell them to consider it a "before" tour if we're still moving in. But I don't think it should be expected. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    Yep, around here when you movie into a new house I think people totally expect a tour. I guess I expect a tour too, but I don't think I'd actually be mad if one wasn't offered.
  • Options
    jjt616jjt616 member
    edited April 2014
    Yes I think it's normal to give a tour. I've given tours usually when people ask. I just don't like to ask people if they'd like to go on a tour because then I feel like I'm making them go and if they want to see the house then I figure they will say something.

Eta: spelling

• Options
    It's normal. Nobody expects you to be totally unpacked, have everything clean, etc. It's fun to show off a new home and talk about what your plans are for each room!
    DD - 12/31/13
  • Options
    Yes it's normal.
  • Options
    Totally normal, however I wouldn't want a bunch of little kids traipsing through every room in my house, and depending on their ages I wouldn't want to leave them unattended downstairs. So you could probably use that as an excuse to only show the downstairs. A play date isn't the same as a house warming party.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    heck yes! show off your new digs!
  • Options
    I'm always happy to tour someone's new house if they seem excited to show it.  I like new houses (and I like being happy for other people!).  It is not normal for a casual acquaintance to nag you about seeing your house.  She's being nosey.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:

Totally normal.  I'd give a side eye to anyone who refused a house tour.  And I'd assume they have a secret sex dungeon.

Most people I know with a sex dungeon would totally include it on the tour. And yes, I know a few people with them. :)
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    That's totally normal.  If my friend got a new house and didn't want to show me all the rooms, I would wonder WTF is up.
    They don't want you to find their collection of clipped fingernails in the closet and their "special" room in the attic.
  • Options
    Totally normal.  I'd give a side eye to anyone who refused a house tour.  And I'd assume they have a secret sex dungeon.
    Most people I know with a sex dungeon would totally include it on the tour. And yes, I know a few people with them. :)
    I would stage a sex dungeon in my house if it meant people would get weirded out and stop asking for tours. Seriously, though, there's a difference between your close friend asking to be shown around and some random mom from mom's group who you don't really know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"