October 2013 Moms
Options

i have a good question, don't miss it!

i just remembered this being a hot topic back in the day with #1.  

what are you planning on doing when your LO starts touching themselves, both when they are still in the baby phase and when they get older and in exploration mode. What will you say/do? 

can't wait for this!

Re: i have a good question, don't miss it!

• Options
    when I worked at a preschool we had a little boy (2yo) who would literally hump the floor for like 2/3 of the day. We were instructed not to stop him, so he humped all day!!

At this stage I'm not sure what I would say to A if she stays doing something similar.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no idea what I will say to my boy when he is older because I myself am often like a 13 year old boy and think all the things are funny. I deft don't want to make it some sort of weird issue, as long as he is not humping everything in site that is.

Right now, NOTHING. He is a baby and just discovering his physical limits. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When she's older I will talk to her about it, but until then I won't say anything unless it becomes an issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

Lo is uncircumcized so he needs to do what he's got to do. When he's older I will make sure to teach him what situations aren't appropriate for that sort of behavior.

Wait, I am honestly curious about this. What does being uncircumcised have to do with it?
    I was about to ask the same thing! Is it itchy or something??

• Options
    With DD, she discovered her it in the bath around 15m or so. She asked what it was and I told her it was her vagina and it's where her pee come out. She didn't say too much back then, but she was able to say it pretty good and would tell me every bath about her vagina.

DS hasn't even noticed his yet.

• Options

Lo is uncircumcized so he needs to do what he's got to do. When he's older I will make sure to teach him what situations aren't appropriate for that sort of behavior.

Wait, I am honestly curious about this. What does being uncircumcised have to do with it?
    I was about to ask the same thing! Is it itchy or something??
    They have to work the foreskin back on their own from what I understand.
  • Options
    It seems like...this was never an issue and nobody ever had to talk to me.  What I learned about sexuality I learned from books and the web.
  • Options
    My older girl has never shown too much interest in touching herself. We have talked about it, refer to it properly (although she did used to call it her "bagina" which was adorable), and talk about when it is okay for other people to touch her there or see it. But she seems indifferent to it for the most part.
  • Options
    pandaglitterpandaglitter member
    edited April 2014
    @calibr8te‌ that reminds me of my daughter's grandma calling it her "petunia". So many eye rolls. She used to say "petunia!" And start cracking up. So no real harm done.

My older daughter is six so it's not a huge issue because she knows when touching ourselves is and isn't appropriate and she's pretty modest except around me. Yay me. (Today she randomly took all of her clothes off in the living room and started farting. And then went to put on new clothes. Evidently she really wanted to get changed and started changing in the living room...nowhere is sacred.)

She's allowed to do whatever with her body in private as long as it's not hurtful. She tends to itch and ended up cutting herself on accident with her nail which got infected and is a vicious cycle since it now itches more. Le sigh.

• Options
    @kimbo1216‌ Good response! I think I'll say something like that as well!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Options
    Ugh.  Going through this with my 3 year old DS right now.  He potty learned a few months ago, so now he has easy access.  He is constantly, absentmindedly, touching himself  all day long! I don't want him to feel ashamed or think its bad- but he also needs to learn to not do it in public.  What I've been telling him is that it isn't polite to do around other people so he can go into the bathroom or his bedroom, he will usually just stop and continue playing with whatever toy is in front of him.  We've been working on pleases, thank yous, you're welcomes, etc.  as well so I am hopeful putting this in the context of other manners will help the lesson sink in without making him feel ashamed about sexuality. *fingerscrossed*

As for DD she's just recently discovered that there is something there during diaper changes, I  redirect her if she is about to get poop or diaper cream all over.  Otherwise its no big deal.
    Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    calibr8te said:
    Thank you STMs who actually use the term vagina.

My niece was explained all this with a 'nice' (re: childfriendly? a million eye rolls) term. 
    Well it backfired one afternoon when we were doting on her calling her a cutie petutie and she kept freaking out about it. 
    Turns out her vagina is a petutie.

if we're getting technical, it should be vulva as I'm assuming you aren't referencing the inside parts but the outside.

Personally, we use lady bits.  It's habit for me so that's what dd knows.  Doesn't bother me.  Maybe that's a UO.
  • Options
    I never had an issue with DS1 when he was a toddler.  When he was 5 he was taking a bath and called me in there so I ran like crazy thinking something was wrong, and he has his testicles squeezed up and said "look, it's a brain! It's a brain!!" So then I had a talk with him about not playing with himself in public, etc.  He never really had an issue about it after that.

I have always been pretty open with him about anatomy and the birds and the bees type stuff.  He would have learned so much wrong on the playground had I not explained things properly to him. 

• Options
    I'm having this issue with ds1 (2.5yr) right now, well for the past few months. He will randomly strip and run around the house naked which is nbd to me but he will pretty much touch himself the entire time. I don't tell him to stop but just encourage him to put his diaper and clothes on so he doesn't "get cold". He just recently started telling me he has a "big tall peepee" when he gets an erection and I just say ok. What the hell am I supposed to say to that?!
    Thankfully he doesn't try it in public much but if he does I just tell him to get his hand out if his pants. I'm not shy about explaining anything to him I just don't know what's age appropriate.
  • Options
    @kimbo1216: I actually like the term lady bits as it is not completely off base. My mother called it my ducky and penis was little birdy. Cute and all but there was way too much discomfort around the subject of our bodies growing up in my parents house. I hope to bypass that awkwardness with our family. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"