April 2014 Moms
Options

Silly Swaddling Question

My daughter is 2 1/2 weeks old. She hasn't been swaddled since we left the hospital because she didn't seem to like it at home. Now I'm thinking about trying it again because she doesn't sleep so well at night. Is it going to completely throw her off to swaddle her now that she's used to having her hands free? Anyone had a similar experience?

Re: Silly Swaddling Question

• Options
    We've swaddled DS every night (9 days) and he too loves his hands free so most nights we come in to change/feed and he's managed to get one arm free...

Good luck!
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My son is only 5 days old but last night was the first night I successfully swaddled him and he seemed to sleep better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS loves the swaddle but only if it's loose enough that he can get to his hands. I use muslin blankets instead of the pods with zippers or Velcro for this reason.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options

DS loves the swaddle but only if it's loose enough that he can get to his hands. I use muslin blankets instead of the pods with zippers or Velcro for this reason.

This! We have other swaddle options, but the muslin blankets are our favorite option, and it's easy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I use one with Velcro that's slightly bigger than him that way he can have his arms if he likes but it still stays on the res of his body
  • Options
    I don't think you're going to do any damage by giving it a try. We never did it with DS1 because developmentally I wanted him to have access to his hand and felt "bad" doing it. STM hindsight and we've been doing it with a bamboo A+A blanket after every feed at night and sometimes during the day with DS2. It may be a coincidence but we're getting much more sleep this time around! I find that LO protest when I first swaddle so I let him nurse unswaddled, then do burp, diaper, swaddle and let him nurse some more to settle afterwards.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    My LO sleeps swaddled so much more soundly. Without the swaddle, she wakes herself up with her arms. With the swaddle, she sleeps 4-5 hours at a time during the night. I try not to swaddle during the day though.
  • Options
    We use the swaddlers halo sleep sack. It's Velcro so it's nice and tight and she manages to get her hands free anyway. But sleeps much better In the ss then without.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My little guy likes to have his hands free as well. Even when he is in his Velcro sleep sack he manages to work them loose. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I just got the miracle blanket as a gift, along with the zen swaddle. I don't know if they really work or if its just a coincidence but we've had 2 consecutive nights if him actually sleeping before 3 am. Hes almost 5 weeks. The swaddles are expensive but do worth the happier mood I am in.

(P.s. is it okay to swaddle both day and night? Usually when he is up during the day he is so fussy unless I swaddle him or wear him)
  • Options
    Oh I also thought my baby didn't like to be swaddled too but then I gave it another try at three weeks. I think honestly I wasn't making the swaddle tight enough. He's ok going from hands free to straight jacket.
  • Options

DD likes the swaddle, but only if her arms are free. Kind of defeats the intended purpose, but I think some babies just like that warm hug feeling as opposed to the security straitjacket feeling.

This, exactly! Since her hand mittens are still too big for her, I recently found that infant socks work really well to prevent her from scratching her face in the night.
  • Options
    ModishMomModishMom member
    edited April 2014
    We used the escape proof swaddle with LO #1.  Video here.  Keeps the arms in.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4VdZxwsu4

Uses any two blankets.  I use an A&A along with a flannel receiving blanket. 

• Options
    Apparently a lot of babies who hate to be swaddled just aren't being swaddled tight enough. We thought our daughter (4 weeks old today, but today is also her due date) hated not having her hands free, too, but tried swaddling again this week with a much more snug wrap and she likes it. We just make sure to get that blanket TIGHT. We had it way looser before and she'd grunt and struggle until she got her arms free. Now she just lays there like a little content baby burrito nugget.

As far as what to swaddle with, I can't get the Halo swaddle sleep sacks tight enough. We are using the A+A muslin blankets now and they work much better. Watch the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD for a great swaddling tutorial.
  • Options
    The miracle blanket is the only one she can't break out of. She seems to sleep longer swaddled. During the day we just swaddle with a receiving blanket. It never hurts to try it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"