October 2013 Moms
Options

low thyroid while pg

I just got a call from my SIL who is due early July. Her Dr just called and told her 'that her thyroid is a little low'. I didn't have any problems so I can't give her much advice/experience. She went online and found all sorts of horrible things about how that can affect the baby so she is really worried. Do any of you have any experience with this or any advice that I can pass along to her? TIA
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: low thyroid while pg

• Options
    Step away from Dr Google. She should have a talk with her Dr.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    Jalee85 said:
    Step away from Dr Google. She should have a talk with her Dr.
    I agree! I told her do not look anything else up on the internet and to call her Dr. back asap to get more information. She's naturally a worrier and I know she's freaking out.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    To be fair to her. I would be looking at Dr Google too, but coming from a hi-risk pregnancy myself. I tried my hardest just to trust my Dr and not stress. Obviously, I only had a Dr I explicitly trusted.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Options
    carawasacarawasa member
    edited April 2014
    I have an under active thyroid and my meds were adjusted while I was pregnant. Dr google is a scary place for sure! I had a level 2 ultrasound to make sure all of her body parts were growing accordingly and they checked tsh levels a few times to make sure everything was working (which I assume they must do for everyone?) Otherwise, everything else was normal!
  • Options
    My thyroid was off a tad, had hyperthyroidism during pregnancy, I just took my meds and all was fine!

Tell her to stop googling!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb Siggy Challenge
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have a thyroid disorder, I am hypothyroid and need meds to stay at the right level.  With both of my pregnancies I just had to have blood-work regularly and my meds adjusted accordingly. No big deal and I had no complications.
    Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I didn't realize there were meds for it. I told her to call her Dr. back and get some answers and see what needs to be done. She's calmed down but my poor brother is all worked up. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My thyroid levels were normal but I got a nodule in my thyroid while I was pregnant that had to be checked because they were worried it was cancerous. Luckily it was just a strange growth. My OB said it was very common for weird things to happen with your thyroid while pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"