October 2014 Moms
Options

Tell me about your SUV

I currently have a 2010 Subaru Forexter "X" Premium. I'm looking for something a little roomier possibly 3rd row seating. We have a 3 year old, and then another carseat on top of that I feel like takes up the whole backseat! I want to have room if I need to take someone else somewhere with us. I'm looking into possibly a Ford Flex or maybe a Ford Edge. If you have an SUV that you love, let me know!! :)

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

Re: Tell me about your SUV

• Options
    We have a GMC Acadia and I love it.  The thing is that the 3rd row isn't really people friendly but it may be child friendly?  It is roomy, has above average gas mileage for a big crossover and is so comfortable!  We test drove an Edge but found that they tend to have a lot of problems with the fancy electrical stuff in them so we opted to go big or go home!

Really similar (like the same car with different lines/badging) is the Chevy Traverse.  A few less bells and whistles, lower price point.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    We currently have an acura RDX, but with a third on the way are looking for a third row vehicle. We are looking at the GMC Acadia and the Toyota highlander. I like the Acadia because you can get it with second row captain's seats so it's easier to get to the third row. So that's what we're leaning toward. I haven't driven anything yet, so that's the next step.

FWIW, I do LOVE my Acura and it has plenty of room for our family of four and we were able to fit our double jogger in the trunk. I'm going to be sad to see it go.
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Nicb13 - I'm happy to hear you say that the Terrain is to small (though not happy you have to look into trading it in) because DH and I went back and forth between the Terrain and Acadia.

I love ours, so happy with it!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    We have a Chevy Tahoe and love it. That thing is a beast and just keeps on going. I myself have sat in the 3rd row and was comfortable enough ridding around town.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had an 05 ford explorer and now have a 14 and I love it!! 3rd row seat is big enough for adults and easy to access. When the 3rd row is up you still have great room for storage in the back. It's fantastic in the snow which is needed for me being in New England! I vote explorer all the way.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the feedback and will now be looking at the GMC's as well!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We have a Buick Enclave ad I really like it.  Before that, we had a Lexus RX, but needed the third row.  The Enclave's third row is roomy enough that a smaller adult can fit, plus there is still some trunk storage even when the third row is up.  It also has the option for captain's chair configuration in the 2nd row, so that you can still easily access the third row.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had the Forester, and got rid of it right after my son was born because it was simply too small. We have a '08 XTerra that ROCKS MY WORLD. I have two enormous dogs, so having space for them and 3 kids in the backseat is awesome. I also love roof racks, so thats cool too. Its my baby, that car.
  • Options
    I had a Yukon for 3 years and although it was so nice and I loved driving it I have to say it had horrible utility.  The third row was not big enough for adults and the seats just sort of folded up in the back trunk area taking up quite a bit of storage space.  You can completely remove them but then what's the point of having a 3rd row?  Also, the middle row was 2 bucket seats.  They were comfy, heated, great for adults!  But ultimately the reason we got rid of it is because with 2 kids and the 3rd row folded up that would leave only one seat for a passenger since the middle seats would each have a carseat.  I am temporarily driving a 4-door Jeep Wrangler which will have better utility for us than the Yukon did but I'm on the lookout for a nice used Explorer or 4-Runner.

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• Options
    I don't have an SUV, but my dad has a Ford Flex and it's pretty roomy. I don't know how it would be with carseats, though. As @MrMrsandBaby said, my dad has had a few problems with the car's computer (like the car saying "tire pressure sensor fault" even when nothing is wrong with the tire, which is pretty terrifying when the alert pops up on the highway!) and computer issues are so expensive to fix. He has also had issues with the transmission a few times, and the car is only 5 years old.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    I have a 2014 highlander and love it... currently the backseat is used by our boxer but it will definitely have enough room for dog and baby.  We got the model that has captain seats in the middle and then a 3rd row. 

My FurBaby Dexter 4/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC since 07/12
    MC - 03/13
    BFP - 2/9/14 EDD 10/17/14
  • Options
    Lindzoid said:
    I had an 05 ford explorer and now have a 14 and I love it!! 3rd row seat is big enough for adults and easy to access. When the 3rd row is up you still have great room for storage in the back. It's fantastic in the snow which is needed for me being in New England! I vote explorer all the way.
    We didn't have an SUV (just my car and my hubs truck) so we went looking at an Acura MDX and Ford Edge and ended up with a Ford Explorer.  SO roomy and so nice.  It had all of the same features as the MDX but has so much more room - everywhere.  We LOVE it!

Last menstral cycle 9/09 Initial diagnosis PCOS (11/09) Provera (x2), P4 injection. Final Diagnosis POF (2/10) 
    Donor ER 8/27/10 -- ET 9/1/10 Beta 9/10/10=BFP! May 6th 2011 - Our sweet little bear was born!
    FET #2 July 3, 2014 - BFP!
    M/C @ 9 weeks

FET #3 November 8, 2013 - BFN
    FET #4 February 12, 2014
    POAS (I cheated) BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My in-laws have a new Explorer, I have a '02 Explorer, of course the new ones have more room, I have a 3rd row seat in mine, but it's not that roomy. In my in-laws Explorer we had 4 adults and 3 kids in there and was still roomy. While we were looking on a Ford lot, I saw an Explorer with, I guess, they're called "captains seats" in the second row so you could get back to the 3rd row easier. I like that the new Explorers give you an option of folding down both 3rd row seats or just half. I believe the 3rd row is split 60/40, so you can still have a seat up but have the ability to put a double stroller in the back. 

A new Explorer is our front runner right now, I would like to get one with the captain chairs in the second row, even though you loose a seat, it's easier to access the 3rd row, rather than climbing over the seats LOL

Married July 2006

MC Feb 2009 8 weeks

MC Dec 2009 8 weeks

MC Oct 2013 8 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MaymkMaymk member
    I have a rav 4 because our friend loved how she can easily plop her stroller in without folding it down but I did notice that. My nephews toddler seat base comes over the edge of the seat a teeny bit. His infant seat didn't. No idea if that's just the specific one he has or if all toddler seats are like that so make sure you look into seat depth when you get one!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Toyota Rav4, which I love, but has no 3rd row.  I think it's very roomy, though.  My mother has a Toyota Highlander which is also awesome.  Tons of trunk space and easy to get to the 3rd row because of the captains seats in the 2nd row.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We have a 2013 Toyota 4runner, and I absolutely live it!! The newer models have an option for third row seating!!

• Options
    I just bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee.. Actually about a week before my BFP. It will be much better with a baby compared to my old Mazda 3, and will probably still be good with two kids and no other passengers. I absolutely love it, but I don't know how practical it will be in a few years with a growing family.
  • Options
    I am in agreement with @Starfish17 we have a Buick Enclave and love it. We have the second row as captain seats to allow easy access to the third row. Im fairly small (5'3" and 130lbs before pregnancy) and i fit back there comfortably. I love it!
  • Options
    Have you thought about a van at all?
  • Options
    I have a ford escape. I'm not sure if the insides are the same as the flex or edge, but the minor repairs that I've had to make on mine have been super expensive!! I had to replace ONE spark plug and the $3 part ended up costing me $900 to change because it has a reverse flow (or sideways??) engine. They had to take the whole engine apart just to get to the plug. When I replaced the alternator, it was another $800 because the had to drop the axle to get the damn thing out. Other than being expensive to repair, mine has run well and has 130,000 miles on it with no "major" issues, besides draining my pocketbook for small repairs. I only mention it as something to check for in your new ford SUV. If it were me and the new ones don't have a standard engine, I wouldn't do it. Both the plugs and alternator are only rated to last 3-6 yrs. :-/ Sorry about the novel!!
  • Options
    We have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder & love it. We have 2 older kids (14 & 11) who think they should sit in the 3rd row but we leave the 3rd row down, which is very easy to put up if needed. We won't really start using the 3rd row til Oct, but it's very roomy & good on gas. The middle seats slide forward very easy & good access to 3rd row. We were told u can access 3rd row w/car seat in seat but haven't had to do that yet.
  • Options
    tashy88 said:

Have you thought about a van at all?

Yeah, I'm just not a van kind of
    person. Not against them, just not my style.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My mom has a Honda Pilot. Hers is roomy and has the option of folding the third row partially. Third row isn't roomy, but she doesn't have their biggest model either.

I just bought a Camry last year, but if it's a boy I'll start looking into trucks. My dream "mom" vehicle is a fully loaded Chevy Tahoe. But my gawd they're expensive :((
  • Options
    2014 ford explorer. Absolutely love everything about it. Sooo wonderful. Used to have a 2012 Kia sorento with 3rd row seating, but the ford explorer is SO MUCH BETTER in every way possible. Lots more room! Highly recommend it!!
  • Options
    We have a Chevy Tahoe with a 3rd row and love it! There is so much room, and I highly recommend one. 

• Options
    Noooooo!! Don't leave the Suburu family! Suburu for life!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    We have a 2012 Honda pilot. It drives like a car. I LOVE it. We usually have the 3rd row folded in half so only the single seat is up back there. When we're all together, FIL sits back there. 2 car seats in the middle row for 3 year old dd and 17 month old DS and MIL. DH and I in the front. In the back with the double seat down, we comfortably fit our double stroller and lots of big groceries after a Costco run. When this 3rd baby comes, we'll put up the double seat in the 3rd row (stroller and groceries will still fit) and DD's seat and FIL can sit back there (when the in laws are with us). Ds's car seat will go behind the driver seat, baby in the middle and MIL behind passenger seat (same as where she sits now). DH and I in front. I seriously LOVE our pilot.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Father's Day at the beach 2014 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Honda Pilot! They are very safe and very comfortable! The Hyundai Sante Fe is pretty nice too with A LOT of awesome features and gadgets but I prefer the Pilot mostly for the safety. They have steel bars built in for side impact. These are brand new ones that I'm talking about though. I don't know about older ones. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have a Ford Edge and I absolutely love it! I'm a nanny for 3 kids and they always tell me that the seats in my car are super comfortable (their parents both have Hyundai's). I've never had any issues with it, mechanical or otherwise. It has plenty of trunk space for a stroller plus groceries and I love Love LOVE the power liftgate feature!

I would say that if you want something with plenty of room for your family And friends... I'd look into the GMC Acadia with the third row.
  • Options
    Noooooo!! Don't leave the Suburu family! Suburu for life!

Haha! This is my 2nd Subaru too. I'm sad to leave it behind, but they don't have many options when it comes to bigger cars. I looked at the Tribeca, but they are very rare to find!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Have you considered a van? I know, I know, giving up on life and all that. We were looking for 3rd row seating that people with legs could use plus luggage space, leather seats, DVD.  A gently used SUV with those features was a good 10-20K more than the 2013 Town and Country we ended up buying. We had never considered a van until we saw the price difference. After having no car payments for 5+ years, DH and I hated the thought of a $500+ month payment.

I gotta say, I love my van. It is not 4 wheel drive which is the only bummer.  It has leather, power doors and hatch, back-up camera, DVD, stow and go seating (LOVE) and it so roomy and comfortable.
  • Options
    I have an '07 Ford Expedition and love the having the third row! With 3 kids it's been great for everyone and the 3rd row is comfy so it will still be great with baby #4 and will be able to haul extra kids around. I really like the GMC Acadia but it's out of our price range!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"