Baby Names

Name too popular?

For years I have loved the names Aviance and Avalyn. I swore if I found out I was having a girl I would pick one of the names. Well, the time has come! Problem is, anything AVA or LYN is so trendy!

Would you still choose one of the names or change your choice due to popularity? 

Re: Name too popular?

• If you're second-guessing your names then I would start looking for other names you like. Sometimes the names we picture using for years just don't seem right when the time comes.

That being said if you love those names it's not the end of the world to have a more popular name. Do what feels right for you, but this board is a great source of inspiration for names you may not have thought of and you might end up loving something completely different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • Well, for one thing they sound made up to me.  Ava by itself is fine.  But no, I probably wouldn't use them.  There are two kinds of popular names:  classic names that won't ever sound dated because they have a long history, and trendy names that suddenly shot up the charts in the past few decades.  I would consider a name in the first category if I loved it, but a name with Av- + trendy suffix falls into the second category for me. 
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Probably not. Have you considerd Aviva or Evelyn?
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • I wouldn't exactly say those particular names are popular since I've never heard of them. They kinda sound made up to me.  But in general, I would use a more popular name. Not necessarily a trendy name, I don't care for those.. but more classic popular names.  Those are my style, so popularity doesn't matter to me so much.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • I wouldn't change my choice due to popularity. I would change my choice because those sound like made-up names. I'd look at legit names that have a similar style and start there
  • Neither one of the names in your OP are remotely popular.

What about Avalina?  Ahh-vah-lee-nah.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• To be honest, I'm a little shocked by some of the responses. I didn't make either of the names up but I appreciate the feedback regardless. When I initially posted, I stated that I loved both names so obviously they are my style and I have reasoning to like them. Thanks for all of the constructive feedback everyone :) 

Apparently I need to change my mind.
  • We changed our original 1st choice due to the overwhelming number of people naming their son Henry. We didn't want our kid to be 1 of 5 in his class - especially when there are so many other great underused names out there.

• To be honest, I'm a little shocked by some of the responses. I didn't make either of the names up but I appreciate the feedback regardless. When I initially posted, I stated that I loved both names so obviously they are my style and I have reasoning to like them. Thanks for all of the constructive feedback everyone :) 

Apparently I need to change my mind.

I don't think anyone is saying you made up the names, but if you do a really quick search of the names on behindthename.com (a trusted name site), neither one comes up. 

I sort of get what you mean-- the name Ava is really popular, so any name with an "AV" at the beginning of it might get lumped together with the Avas (sort of like how an Eliana might get lumped in with all of the "Ellies").

So aside from that, both of the names in your OP are quite unusual, and I have not heard either of them before.  May I suggest Avalon, Avis and Avonlea?  The last one is actually a fictional place name, but I think it's pretty and it's super unusual.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I know a French girl named Aveline (Av-ah-leen). I always thought it was pretty and unique. I personally don't care for Aviance or Avalyn.
  • Those are pretty bad. There are so many beautiful legit names out there. What about Evelina, Eveline, Aveline, Adelina, Evangeline, Anastasia?
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • I get what you mean about the Ava trend, but I don't think any names beginning with Av- are automatically too popular. However, add me to the "I think Aviance and Avalyn sound made up" club. 

I like the suggestions of Evelyn or Aveline. I don't know anything about Avis but it could grow on me. Maybe Avril? Otherwise, my suggestion is too keep looking. Good luck.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wouldn't change my mind, especially if it was a classic name that never really goes out of fashion. I'm with pps on not liking your names, because they sound made up and trendy. I like pps suggestions of Eveline, Evelyn and Ava.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • FakeFinn said:
    I wouldn't change my mind, especially if it was a classic name that never really goes out of fashion. I'm with pps on not liking your names, because they sound made up and trendy. I like pps suggestions of Eveline, Evelyn and Ava.
    Agree with everything here ^^.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"