April 2014 Moms
Options

Baby nohrt peeing enough

Thorpe27Thorpe27 member
edited April 2014 in April 2014 Moms
Hey ladies, would really like some advice here. My baby boy was born 2 days ago and he's only peed twice (once each day). The pediatrician had an ultrasound done to make sure everything was ok - and he peed in the middle of it.
I think he is feeding enough, but I'm not really sure. My milk hasn't come all the way on yet.
Is there any advice or methods for helping him pee? It's starting to worry me... If he doesn't at least once by tomorrow he has to go back in to see pediatrician. Please any help is appreciated

Re: Baby nohrt peeing enough

• Options
    Talk to the nurses.  I assume you're still in the hospital?  

• Options
    The only non-medical advice there is to offer is to make sure he is eating enough - I would probably wake to feed him every 2ish hours. And then follow up with the pediatrician as ordered if he doesn't pee. Typically newborns only have as many wets per day old for the first few days (as in a 2 day old baby would typically only have 2 wet diapers, 3 days old would have 3 wet diapers) but they poop a little more than that.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are they suggesting you supplement with an oz or two of formula after each feeding, just until your milk comes in?

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    I would ask the doctor and give it some mpre t imem. Our DD is six days old and she didnt start to have a normal pee diaper until day four. She only peed twice when we were discharged and both diapers had concentrated urine so we were scared to. If the doctor isnt worried, try not to worry as well. I know that is easier said than done.
  • Options
    Our little one was the same. 1 pee in the hospital and no poops. By day 4 we were getting concerned but it all started coming! We would cut the diapers in front to check (they have to pee a lot to change the indicator!). You can also put tp inside to see if that gets wet. I know it's hard but try not to worry!
  • Options
    My little boy is 4 days old and we had the same problem. Yesterday the pediatrician suggested supplementing with an oz or 2 of formula and feeding every 2 hours. My milk has finally started to come in and he had 6 wet diapers yesterday. Consult with the pedi and do what they say. Some baby's are just slow to warm up.

• Options
    Our little girl also didn't pee much the first few days which they said was normal. However, we were also told that everything looked good with her breastfeeding (latch, gulping sound, etc) and we found out after her bili Rubin levels were increasing and we came back to visit lactation that her feedings were very poor. If you are still concerned that she isn't going to the bathroom enough after your milk comes in, I highly recommend visiting lactation after your milk comes in to make sure she is getting enough food. For now, just keep track of her diapers and know that the first 2-3 days will be less than the following days.
  • Options
    I thought for the first few days it was just one diaper per day of she but now I can't remember for sure.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our little one had the same problem. Only peed once the first day, didn't pee the second I don't think? Never met his diaper quota at all the first 4 days. Anyway he is 6 days old now and is now on a great schedule, but didn't get there until yesterday. How was his weight check when you left the hospital?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    Thank you all so much. He's doing much better now, went home on his 3rd day and he has been peeing and pooping regularly. I started pumping which helped a lot, not only am I producing more, but he takes from bottle really well. Noticed at first that it was taking a long time to pump- which explains why he would always fall asleep so much in the middle if nursing if it was too much work. Doing a lot better now. Every little thing makes me worried, but I'm learning how to cut that down. FTM problems lol. Thank you all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"