Illinois Babies

Midwife Groups in the City

Anyone using a midwife group in Chicago? We're expecting our first, I'm currently 8 weeks, terrified of hospitals, and OB-less at the moment. I've always wanted to have a home birth but in our small, thin walled condo I don't think that would be the best idea :( Provided all goes well, I prefer a natural birth. My primary care physician suggested the midwife groups at Advocate IL Masonic or Swedish Covenant. Does anyone have experience with either, or another good option? I'm located in Edgewater and don't want too far of drive when the time comes. I've googled the beejesus out of both hospital/midwife groups but a lot of the info is years old, especially on this board. I did the maternity tour at Swedish which I liked and have one coming up at Advocate, but I've heard that the Alternative Birthing Center at Advocate isn't always available/offered. I'm also curious about Evanston Hospital. I'm getting anxious for my first appointment and have no clue where to even begin. Any experience, midwife/OB names or recommendations are much appreciated! 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Midwife Groups in the City

• Have you looked at OMG Women's Healthcare?
  • No, hadn't heard of it. But Hinsdale is a little farther than I'd like to end up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the Northwestern Midwife group! They are amazing. In fact, with my 1st I lived in the city and for my 2nd I am in Wilmette and still drive downtown to be seen. I started my pregnancy with a Northshore group and they sucked so switched back to them. So much happier. They are SO GREAT! Highly supportive and knowledgable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gentle birth care has an office in Chicago- otherwise go for Evanston or Swedish
  • kkleenekkleene member
    Check out the midwives on birthlink.com it's a resource of natural birth advocates/providers
  • Hi all! Just in case anyone is following this thread I wanted to update the status. I initially started with Advocate Masonic midwives but ended up switching to the Evanston midwives at North Shore Evanston Hospital. (We're on the far north side of the city so the distance was basically the same. Based on all my "issues" I got waaaay better vibe from Evanston throughout the maternity tour / scheduling, etc. I have my first appointment with them tomorrow and am excited rather than terrified! 

FYI the Alternative Birthing Center at Advocate is NOT an option anymore, it's basically used for overruns now.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"