July 2013 Moms

BTDT- dentist?

Charlie's 3rd tooth popped through yesterday, and it got me thinking... When do I take him to the dentist for the first time?

I tried to search to see if this was posted before but nothing came up.

Re: BTDT- dentist?

• Our dentist told us as soon as they got a tooth when we had DD. That seemed a bit ridiculous to me. Pedi recommended about age 2.

I may not be the best person to ask though, because two came and went and now at 3 DD still hasn't gone. I keep meaning to make an appt, but can't decide where to take her and it always falls off my radar, so thanks for reminding me.

I think they like starting young to get the kid comfortable with the dentist, opening their mouth, examining them etc....

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Loading the player...
  • I've read as soon as they get teeth ( DD has 6!) but I asked my pedi, and he said not until 2 y/o at the earliest, unless he notices anything of concern at her check ups.
  • Ok I was thinking between 2 & 3... I couldn't even imagine taking him right now!
  • My dentist recommends 2-3 yo.
  • Asbromle said:

Good question. I feel like I have ages before my LO is going to get any teeth. The pediatrician said today that his gums aren't swollen and it'll be a while still. My kids going to be 3 and toothless!

Our pedi said Monday that we should see "several teeth soon"

Ugh. Teething sucks. Toothless would be fine with me lol
  • Yep, 2-3. Both my kids went for the first time about 3....

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Asbromle said:

Good question. I feel like I have ages before my LO is going to get any teeth. The pediatrician said today that his gums aren't swollen and it'll be a while still. My kids going to be 3 and toothless!

Us too.

Bonus: 

• Pediatric dentists say 12 months, or when they get teeth. Adult dentists say 3 years because kids don't really cooperate before that. I was frustrated by the lack of consensus on the issue, and ended up waiting until my older kids were 3 to take them in. Before that we made sure to brush their teeth in the morning and at bedtime, and floss between any teeth that touch.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I asked my dentist when I was there, and he said 2 yrs, with the exception of if you see any problems or if they turn black (?! I would hope people have the sense to go if their kid's teeth turn black!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • Nikita went for the first time the week of her 6th birthday.  And I know there are kids in her class that still havent gone.  Dentist didnt seem to concerned that she hadnt been in sooner.  All was good...aside from the impending orthodontics she may need :/
  • fabkfabk member
    The public health unit here says before their first birthday. We will take him in Sept when we go ourselves.
  • I asked my dentist when I was there, and he said 2 yrs, with the exception of if you see any problems or if they turn black (?! I would hope people have the sense to go if their kid's teeth turn black!)
    This is what my dentist said as well. She said it may even be later than 2 years, depending on their attitude, attention, etc. 
  • My dentist said right at their third birthday. We took Eliza a few weeks ago and she would not cooperate. He was totally fine with us trying again later. He said as long as you're brushing and taking care of the teeth then it's not a big deal. Just if something happens. We are going to try again when Dh and are due for a cleaning in late June.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • My son still has trouble with cleaning at 7 and a half due to his horrible gag reflex. He just had to have laughing gas to get his 6 year molars sealed....poor hygienists!!

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We tried to take DD but she morphed into a banshee on fire. It took all the techs to just attempt to look at her mouth. Nightmare! She is easier at the doctor.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We take DS1 to a pediatric dentist and took him for his first appt just before his 2nd birthday, I think?  He's got an appt coming up in mid-May and it will be his third trip, so I think his first time was about a year ago.  They mostly just examine, count to see how many/which teeth they have, and they did do a cleaning on his last visit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @somerandomchick‌ my LO let the eye doctor do whatever, it was strange. The optometrist told me "he's such a serious baby" I didn't know how to respond... so I just smiled :)
  • My pedi told me that this is actually topic of debate within the pediatric community, with recommendations ranging from appearance of first tooth to around age 2 1/2. I think we will go sometime around age 2.
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • Our dentist recommended 3.  It was a nightmare.  Went yesterday at 3 1/2 and it was soooo much better.  I wondered if we had gone younger if he would have been more comfortable at 3, but who knows he was a clingy monster once DS #2 arrived :) (I mean he suffered a slight attachment issue:))

You'd be surprised....I sent a 15 year old for 5 root canals last week
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did an eye exam last month. He did pretty well actually. He said bring him back at 4 years old unless we suspect issues.
  • Fayga said:
    Our pedi 2 but by then you should already be flossing those little chicklets. DS first went at 2.
    Do what? Floss?! I can't even get Noodles to let me look at her teeth how in the ever loving hell am I gonna floss her teeth!?
    I asked the dentist how was I supposed to floss our 3 year olds teeth and he said to get those little floss sticks. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Meimsx said:
    Fayga said:
    Our pedi 2 but by then you should already be flossing those little chicklets. DS first went at 2.
    Do what? Floss?! I can't even get Noodles to let me look at her teeth how in the ever loving hell am I gonna floss her teeth!?
    I asked the dentist how was I supposed to floss our 3 year olds teeth and he said to get those little floss sticks. 
    Yep, my daughter loves those things for some reason and will let us use them on her and even tries to do it herself now. 

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• I asked my dentist the last time I was there. She said between 2 and 3 years.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"