Stay at Home Moms

Another Ring Question...

If your husband picked out the e-ring all by himself without any input from you and you didn't like it would you ask to go shopping with him?  

I think the short answer for me would be 'no' I would want the ring he chose for me and proposed with.  But I think if it was something God-Awful like something I could never in a million years see myself wearing, I would have to break it to him gently that we may have to go back to the drawing board.  To be honest the e-ring he picked for me is not exactly what I would have chosen, but it's beautiful and he chose it so I would never want another.

DH told me that he went to a few different stores before returning to the original one to buy my e-ring.  When he walked in the woman who had been helping him previously said the diamond he had his eye on had been sold.  The lady said the guy buying it had returned the original e-ring because his FI told him she wanted a bigger diamond.  

Re: Another Ring Question...

• It would have to be pretty awful for me to actually ask to return it and get a different one. And in my case DH had a diamond that was a gift from his dad set in a specially designed setting, so it would be even worse if I had rejected it... 
    It's not what I would have chosen (my ideal was just a white gold band with no diamond) but it's lovely and I love that he picked it with such thoughtfulness and care. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• My husband took me to look at engagement rings before he proposed, but in the situation you're describing I think he would have been cool with it if I just couldn't stand what he picked out and wanted to return it. Recently he asked me why I don't wear my wedding band anymore (he had it custom made). I confessed that it was because I just don't like it. It's an eternity band (which I wanted) but the stones are too big and it's too thick and it chafes my middle finger and pinky. Plus I don't like the way it looks. He said, well that's dumb to have it just sitting there, lets take it back and see if we can exchange it for something you like. He was totally fine with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am blessed with a husband who has excellent taste in jewelry and everything he's bought me I absolutely love.

However, we both are really picky about how things fit and feel. I think style-wise he could have done a good job, but I wanted a ring that had a low enough profile so I could still get my hand in my pocket while wearing tight jeans. Also, I have long hair and some settings can catch your hair a lot.

Likewise, my H is a construction worker and he needed a ring that would feel right on his hand while he's working with tools. And something that can be cut off in an emergency.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • I don't think I would ever tell DH that I didn't like a big purchase like that, but he would also never pick it out without me. We picked out and ordered my ring together. I actually picked it up from the store alone {proposed to myself in the car} and wrote the last check for it {joint accts.}...so romantic. :)
  • DH picked out my ring alone, but he used to work in a jewelry store. He had a good idea of quality diamonds, which were his first priority. Style was secondary. If I hadn't liked it, I think I would have found another setting with him. After 7 years though, he knew my style pretty well.

I don't think I could wear a ring possibly for the rest of my life if I didn't care for it. I know someone in this situation, but she's not sure how to approach changing it now. It' been over a decade.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"