March 2014 Moms
Options

Looking for Breastfeeding Advice

laurenann89laurenann89 member
edited April 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some breastfeeding advice/encouragement.
My LO was born on March 23, and he's now just over 4 weeks old. We tried exclusively breastfeeding first, but he had trouble latching and he developed jaundice soon after he was born, so his doctor had me supplement his feeding with formula.

Unfortunately, this led to bottle feeding, which led to latch issues, which led to pumping and supplementing rather than breastfeeding like I wanted. After meeting with a lactation consultant last week, she told me I could still breastfeed even though he had been bottle feeding for 3 weeks.

We've been trying and he latches on to my right breast pretty good, but it makes my nipple/breast hurt during and after he finishes for a while. Is this bc he's latching incorrectly, or is my breast just getting used to breastfeeding?
My left breast has a flat nipple, so it's harder for him to latch on. When feeding from the left he pulls off quickly and screams and flails. I don't know if this is a let down issue, or the flat nipple, or flow confusion from bottle feeding.

I should also mention my AF started after just 3 and half weeks. Does this change things? I've noticed my supply on the pump drastically reduced around the time I started AF. I went from pumping 3-4 ounces per sitting to barely 1.5 ounces.

Breastfeeding was already overwhelming, but even more so since we've had a rocky start. Is there anyone else out there who breastfed after their baby was established on the bottle? Advice is welcome!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've also posted this on the breastfeeding board also. It's the first time I've ventured off the March14 board!

Re: Looking for Breastfeeding Advice

• Options
    Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to know my supply should increase again, I was worried!
  • Options
    I haven't breastfed after baby was used to the bottle so no advice there, but I'm guessing the pain is just your body getting used to nursing as PP said. It took 3 weeks of breastfeeding before the pain finally disappeared for me!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ebf until Colton was 4 days old than switched to eping due to his tongue tie and horrible latch. I didn't supplement he only got breast milk from his bottle. At about 3 weeks old I reintroduced the breast first only after he had a bottle so he could latch properly and comfort nurse. If I felt any pain I would unlatch him and try again. I still pumped every 3 hours while doing this so I never had a dip in my supply. Now I breast feed and pump depending on what he wants. If he is acting like he is starving I give a bottle because his latch still isn't 100% all of the time.
  • Options
    My nipples were cracked and sore for the first week and then they were fine. Good luck! It's worth all the hard work!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I am thinking the pain is me getting used to it as well. I am happy to know its possible to reintroduce them and it work!
  • Options
    I'd check latch with your LC too. I have some pain just from chapped nipples, but the really nasty pain is when he gets lazy about latching and just tries to chew on my nipples. YEOUCH!!

When the pain is from his latch, I notice he sucks a ridge into my nipple lengthwise and blanches out the tip, and the pain is worst at the end of a session.

When the pain is just ordinary breastfeeding pain, it's worst at the BEGINNING of a session, and I don't notice ridges or blanching---just chapping!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to encourage you....I have no words of advice because breastfeeding has been one of the most difficult things I've ever attempted. My baby girl will be 6 weeks on Thursday. Two weeks into breastfeeding I decided to pump one side and feed her on the other, to try to let the nipple heel (both nipples were complete open gashes, and I cried through every feeding.) After it healed I switched sides. Then I started EBF again and within a day and a half they were completely gashed open again and I developed double mastitis. So I went to exclusively pumping, and had to supplement with formula because I wasn't making enough milk to fill her up. Now 6 weeks into it, I'm up to breastfeeding her three times a day and the rest of the time she drinks a bottle. Thankfully so far she's had no nipple confusion and switched back and forth with no issues.
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    @pepperedmoth‌ thank you for the latch advice! I'll definitely be on the lookout for that next time we feed!

@bmerr‌ yikes! I can't imagine bleeding with it, that's gotta suck! Hopefully things will get better for both of us. At least we know we're trying to do what's best for baby!

@LiFeIsAmIrAcLe‌ thank you for the encouragement! It's always nice to know there's others out there that find it difficult so I'm not going at it alone! We can do it!
  • Options
    @laurenann89 I have flat nipples as well, we use a nipple shield and I pump for ease. So at night time we BF and during the day i switch off between pumping and BF. But the nipple shield is the only way we can latch and it also helps with nipple pain for me. It can cause challenges, and its can be a pain, but I have yet to get her to latch without it 2.5 weeks into it...
  • Options
    I just want to say, if it's important to you, don't give up. It took LO and I EIGHT weeks to get the hang of it. He had issues regarding nipples (mine were too big for his tiny preemie mouth), latch issues, nipple confusion, and supply drops. It was horrible and frustrating. Each time I nursed, I was on the verge of a panic attack. Nipple shields helped wean him off the bottle. A boppy was our saving grace. It gets him right in the perfect postion and height, it allows you to have a free hand to hold your breast the way you may need to. Lactation cookies helped with my supply (I have an amazing recipe. It's really hard to not eat them all). Now we're trying to get him to take a bottle and he downright refuses. So there is hope.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @SamJustice‌ - would you mind sharing your recipe for the cookies?

• Options
    @Pankers Absolutely! I found this on Pinterest. First few times I made them I didn't have Brewers Yeast and they still worked wonderfully. I also use chunky peanut butter.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks @SamJustice‌.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"