May 2014 Moms
Options

How soon after delivery

I'm a FTM due 5/30. For STM's, how long after delivery until you felt good enough to go out and do stuff?

There is an outdoor concert I would love to go to on 6/15. It's a concert my DH and I have been to a few years in a row and it holds some sentimental value. Do you think I will feel up to going? Or is it just silly to bring a newborn to a setting such as that? 

I know this is going to vary from person to person. And I know there are a lot of unpredictle factors. I guess I just don't know what to expect. And wondering if we should buy tickets or not

Thanks in advance!

Anniversary

Re: How soon after delivery

• Options

Nah it's not formal. It's a fairly large venue and we would get lawn seats. So basically bring a blanket or some chairs and listen to the music. A crying baby wouldn't be a distraction.

I guess it's all going to depend on when I deliver.

Anniversary
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member

I'd go.

Same here. There's something similar here about a month after my due date and I will likely go.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're feeling up for it, I say go if it's just going to be a couple hours, but maybe not as an all-day kinda thing. Depends on weather I guess, but I'm not a fan of being out all day in the sun with a newborn. A/C for me, thanks.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ns1 said:
    I'd go.
    Same here. There's something similar here about a month after my due date and I will likely go.

I would feel a lot better if it was a month after my due date. 2 weeks seems like it's cutting it pretty close. Especially since I've convinced myself I'm going to be overdue.

Oh well. I'll probably buy tickets and then decide at the last minute whether or not to go.

Thanks for the replies!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I think this depends on your delivery. I had a third degree tear so while I would do things like go to Target or BRU, I would have been very uncomfortable going out for long periods of time or walking too much (like if parking is far or bathrooms are far from your seats). I also had no desire to wear anything fancier than yoga pants.
  • Options
    I'd go, but I wouldn't bring a newborn.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited April 2014
    I'm due on 5/28. Personally, I wouldn't plan to go. Or just make a last-minute decision depending on how I felt as the concert date approached. If I did go, I agree with PPs who said they wouldn't bring a newborn.

Outdoor music events around here are loud, crowded, and can be smoky. I wouldn't be comfortable with a brand new baby in that environment. If it's a small concert in a park where people are spread out and it's super casual, then I'd consider it with the baby, but if it's an actual large concert event, then no.
  • Options
    I recall feeling ouchie when I tried to sit on the floor in the early post-partum days but I can't remember when I first tried that and how long it took to feel better.  I had a pretty easy delivery and only a really small tear.  If you have to sit on the ground, you might totally hate it.  I also remember feeling sort of fragile and out of it the first couple weeks.

Is there a good chance you could wait and get the tickets last minute from someone else who bought them and has to bail, so you're not out the money if you don't feel up to it after all?
  • Options
    I'd probably wait and see how I felt like a week before. If your baby is early you'll probably be fine. If not, you might not. 

If you're planing on bringing your newborn and it will be loud you should totally buy Baby Banz noise canceling headphones from Amazon. 
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    ns1 said:
    I'd go.

I would feel a lot better if it was a month after my due date. 2 weeks seems like it's cutting it pretty close. Especially since I've convinced myself I'm going to be overdue.

Oh well. I'll probably buy tickets and then decide at the last minute whether or not to go.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, thinking about it, 2 weeks might be cutting it a little close!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'd go... With my first I had her 13 days early and was out for dinner when she was 2 days old... I bounced back the second I left the hospital but that's just me
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd personally wait until baby was vaccinated. I'd be more concerned about infectious people touching my newborn as opposed to feeling well.

After my first, I was back to prepreg size and feeling well (minus a vagina that took about 6 weeks to heal/stop bleeding) after 2 weeks.
  • Options
    XathXath member
    In addition to what everyone's said above, it'd also depend on the atmosphere of the concert.  As in, how much pot smoke will your baby inhale?
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you take baby, definitely buy infant headphones (the noise cancelling, gun-range type). You have no idea how loud those concerts are to their perfect little ears. We took my son at 4 months to a concert and sat on the lawn, we had the headphones and he slept through the entire thing but there were other people there with toddlers who kept crying because it was so loud.
  • Options

I think this depends on your delivery. I had a third degree tear so while I would do things like go to Target or BRU, I would have been very uncomfortable going out for long periods of time or walking too much (like if parking is far or bathrooms are far from your seats). I also had no desire to wear anything fancier than yoga pants.

This! I had to sit on a donut for weeks...actually months from a bad delivery. My 10 year HS reunion will be within 4 weeks and I'm not planning
    On going because I know I will not be up for it at all with post delivery body, newborn, and trying to sleep with a toddler!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options
    I felt pretty good after my delivery, but I still don't think I would for a number of reasons... I'm not sure it would be the best atmosphere for a baby (noise, exposure to germs, and like PP mentioned, possible exposure to pot).  I also don't think I would have been able to leave DD at 1-2 weeks post partum.  I needed to be close to her in the first couple of months.  Like it physically hurt to be separated from her.
    You don't know physically how you will be feeling.  My recovery was generally good... SIL needed to be re-admitted several weeks after birth, and still wasn't healing properly 6 months later.  There are so many variances. 

• Options
    I had a similar question. I'm due May 16th and there's a concert at the end of June that I really don't want to miss. My husband and I went to that venue on one of our first dates. We didn't actually buy tickets, just say on the beach/lawn nearby and could hear everything so perfectly. It's nice because you can get as far or as close as you want, and the beach empties because everyone goes into the venue. I'm hoping we'll be up for doing this with LO, but we're going to play it by ear. I don't think I'd plan on going if we had to buy tickets.

If anyone lives in the Chicago area, I'm talking about Northerly Island. You can sit on the beach or behind the planetarium and listen to the concerts, then watch the fireworks off Navy Pier. I'm shocked more people don't do this. It's awesome.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would definitely want to bring the baby (can't imagine leaving him/her that early on). Not too worried about pot smoke, it's a wide open area and I don't remember this at all being an issue in years past. The noise could possibly be an issue but it's pretty chill music (Ray LaMontagne) and if I remember correctly, it doesn't get that loud in the lawn seats. The headphones could still be a good idea though.

I guess at this point the biggest concerns are germs (although I would wear the baby in a carrier and not allow people to touch), and how I am physically feeling.

The tickets are pretty cheap so we will probably buy them and decide at the last minute if we want to go. We can always sell them or give away to friends.

Appreciate all the replies.....

Anniversary
  • Options
    Are you planning on breastfeeding. I had a csection and was fine taking DD around the neighborhood for walks and for lunch 10 days PP. But I wasn't ready to nurse in public for several more weeks. We timed all our outing around nursing sessions at that stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"