March 2014 Moms
Options

Workout Check In: 5k Challenge

Well, the poll was fairly split about keeping this check in. I looked into the bump groups, but they're all private, which seems silly for something like this. 

So I figure I'll focus on the 5k challenge and perhaps after July 4, this check in will die off in favor of the healthy living check in, or will have found a complimentary but different aim in a specific workout challenge. Sorry to those who find it redundant. 

Following the Couch-to-5k routine, the first week of exercise should start the week of Sunday, May 4. I realize not everyone may be cleared by that time, and others may be more practiced runners and may be doing more than this, but hopefully we can make do. 

Let me know if you'd like to be removed or added:

Please reply if you want to participate:
  • Have you run a 5k before?
  • 5k you plan to run this July (race details/unsure/treadmill/etc.):
  • Tips for new runners and/or questions for experienced ones?
I won't be posting a new discussion next week, I'll just bump this one. The first workout is this one, completed three times:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

Re: Workout Check In: 5k Challenge

• Options
    I would love to be added. I have always wanted to run a 5k but running has never been a skill I've had. And I fell off the bandwagon during pregnancy. I signed up for the color run on 8/2 so hoping I can be ready by then
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will keep checking for the tips but I'm not really a runner. I run to be outside but I pretty much hate every second of it so I doubt I will be doing any races. I just ordered the les mils combat workouts which I love so I will be doing those. If you don't mind me not being super involved Id still like to be tagged to check out the workouts and tips though for when I do run.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would like to be added too. My main sport is swimming but I started running 5ks about five years ago. I haven't ran one since June. I also do sprint triathlons. I am only planning on doing 5ks this summer.

There are a few 5ks over the fourth if July and I haven't decided which one I'm going to do.

I've never done the couch to 5k program but looking forward to doing it to ease back into running.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind being added. I don't know what races I'll run this summer yet. I did quite a few 5ks last year and a sprint triathlon.

There is a 5k run/walk in two weeks and I still have unrealistic hopes of running it. I will probably walk it. I want to work up to running a half before the end of the year.
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    Add, please! I've done every type of running and triathlon race you can imagine: 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon, and ultra- marathon. Also sprint, Oly, half, and ironman triathlons.

However, I don't exercise when pregnant and also gains lots of weight so I am starting from zero now. I'd like to do a 5K with all of you on my way to a longer race but need to work out logistics here at home. I definitely need some accountability and motivation from you guys!

I am also a coach so if anyone has questions I will do my best to answer.
    Mom to 5 wonderful kids: 18ds, 15ds, 13ds, 11dd and baby boy! Why get old when you can get pregnant?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started the c25k last year but quit due to a month long battle with vertigo then tried to start again and found out I was pregnant. I would love to do the color run this fall with my daughter so I am definitely in!
  • Options
    VanessaBeeVanessaBee member
    edited April 2014
    I'd like to be added, please and thank you!

Have you run a 5k before? ...ish! I was prepping for a 5k mud run when I got my BFP. I was high risk for early and mid term miscarriage, so I couldn't participate. I loved the training for a goal, though! I'm excited to do it again.

5k you plan to run this July (race details/unsure/treadmill/etc.): For sure the Dirty Girl in August, but now I'll look for one in July, too.

Tips for new runners and/or questions for experienced ones?
  • Options
    Will you add me, too? I plan to do a 5k, 8k, 10k progression this summer/fall, with maybe one race per month or so. I haven't picked specific races yet, but plan to start with the 5k sometime in July. I've run a ton of 5k races in the past, a couple 8ks, and one 10k. There are multiple races in the Chicago area just about every weekend, so it's not hard to find one to sign up for!

My tip for new runners... find a running group or run with friends! It makes is so much more fun. I don't focus on speed as much when I'm running with friends, but the distance goes by easily, and I've really bonded with some of my friends during our runs, when we have plenty of uninterrupted time to talk :)
  • Options
    I love that some of you do triathlons, too! That's a goal of mine for the future. I love to do all three sports, but haven't done them all in one race yet. But this summer I feel like that would be pushing it, and I hope to be pregnant again next summer-ish, so it will most likely be a few years before I get to do my first one!
  • Options
    I'd like to be added .
    Have ran a few 5k s before as well as relay triathlon ... Definitely don't consider myself a runner though but hoping joining this group will motivate me and hold me accountable to keeping up with the workouts.

Haven't picked a run yet, but hope to sign up for one soon and commit to training for it.

• Options
    I would love to be added as well! I just got into running last year before getting pregnant and used the Couch to 5K app. I ran my first 5K last June. I ran yesterday for the first time in months and definitely need to get back in shape! Exercising with a goal of completing a 5K definitely makes me more motivated. We have a local Glow Run I plan to complete this year on June 21st.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'd like to be added please! I've run a bunch 5Ks in the past. I've also run several 10Ks, longer trail runs and one half marathon. I haven't run at all since Halloween, though, and I'm feeling like it's going to be slow building back up.

I don't have a specific 5k yet, but plan to sign up with a couple of girlfriends.

My only tip for new runners would be to take it a little slower than you think you need to. I always used to get burned out on running before I realized I was pushing too much to soon. Once I stopped doing that I ended up loving it and sticking with it.
  • Options
    I would like to be added please!

Have you run a 5k before?
    Yes, I've run 5, 8, and 10k's. I've always wanted to work my way up to a full marathon but that is a distant goal at this point.

5k you plan to run this July (race details/unsure/treadmill/etc.):
    I'm new to this area but I'm pretty sure there's a run on July 4th. I'm planning to run that one.

Tips for new runners and/or questions for experienced ones?
    Nothing I can think of at the moment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Stephout said:

I would love to be added. I have always wanted to run a 5k but running has never been a skill I've had. And I fell off the bandwagon during pregnancy. I signed up for the color run on 8/2 so hoping I can be ready by then

Exactly this! I can start exercising at the end of next week. I'm in Chicago and signed up for the graffiti run on 8/2/14 :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"