April 2014 Moms
Options

Sleeping in Crib from Night 1?

My first child is due on April 29th, and I was planning on having my baby sleep in his crib in his room from night 1.  Am I naive to think this will work? I understand I will be getting up many times throughout the night, and I have fears that I will not hear the baby crying through the monitor (even though the room is right next to our bedroom).  We do have a pack and play that can be set up in our bedroom.  Thoughts?

Re: Sleeping in Crib from Night 1?

• Options
    We are using the crib from day one, but have a bassinet just in case.
  • Options
    With my first, I tried him sleeping in our room in a bassinet but I wasn't sleeping well as I woke up just from him moving around. We moved him to his crib in his room on day 3. He did great. I slept better. I had no problem hearing him in monitor. I recommend it!! Just remember. Put baby on back with nothing else in crib.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Right now, Emma sleeps in the RNP - we are both camped out in the living room, because getting up off of the couch is easier than getting in and out of our bed. We are doing a huge re-model of our house this summer and have to move out for a couple of months, so I'm not even setting up the crib until after that's all done. When she out grows the RNP, she'll move into the PNP in a room with her sister. 
  • Options
    I did it with ds. One of the best decisions I ever made! Never had to transition him or anything and it worked amazing for us.

I'm going to try to do the same with this one, I'm only worried because her room is right next to ds and I don't want both of them waking up every 3 hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I tried this last time and it didn't work for us. It was just weird having her so far away. I wound up with a bassinet by the bed for three months and moving her even then was hard! I think it's really different for everyone, though.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Both of my children have slept in their cribs from night 1 at home. It has worked well for us! Do it! :)
  • Options
    If its something you really want to do and are realistic about what that means for you, it can work. We chose to have a bassinet in our room for our own convenience, but that's what worked best for us. We had no problems switching to the crib when the time was right.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Options

That is what I am planning to do as well....mostly because the nursery has everything all set up...changing table, rocker, lamp, obviously clothing, etc.....and then keep the pack and play downstairs for daytime sleeping/changing.

BUT, pretty much every single person I know has told me that he will end up in our bedroom. I am due April 29 as well....so I guess we shall see! ;)

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Options
    I haven't had the baby yet, but this has always been our plan. UNTIL we took a breastfeeding class and the lactation consultant recommended having the baby close to you for the first two weeks. Now I'm not sure what we're going to do. His room is very close to ours (just across the hall). So I think we're going to try the crib from Day 1 and if it doesn't work out we'll use the RNP next to our bed but my first choice is the crib.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We don't have a crib yet, just a PNP, but it's in the nursery, and that's where he sleeps.  We physically do not have space in our room for even a basinet, and there's no place in our room to nurse him. So he sleeps in his room, and we use the monitor.  It works okay for us.

Remember that sometimes we have these ideas on what we THINK will work or what we WANT to do with the baby, but it doesn't always work out.  It's not a crazy idea to have him sleep in the crib from night one, but it doesn't work for everyone, so you might want a backup plan just in case baby has other ideas :-)
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    And really if it doesn't work you just get a bassinet and move them into your room. Nbd.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did this with DS and tried with DD. It worked wonderfully with DS and DD has a mind of her own and is now in a bassinet in our room. It's not naive, but be prepared in case it doesn't work out.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    I'd plan on it and try it...if it doesn't work just don't be opposed to using a bassinet/pnp in the bedroom and trying it a few days later until it does work. This is my plan, although I'm really hoping baby will just love their crib :)
  • Options
    So glad you asked this question!

I am planning on trying it at least, having been told by a friend that it was the best thing that they did and that it worked for her.  She said it was a pain getting up but I still think it will work.  I have been questioning it though because everyone else (all those who like to dish out not-asked-for advice) are horrified and tell me I'm not going to be able to stick it.

Thank you for starting this thread.  All the answers have been super helpful.
  • Options
    It depends so much on your baby. Some babies will be totally cool with it, and some will lose their minds. It took me 3 nights before I could get my girl into her crib (which is side-carred to my bed like a cosleeper) and so I had a few very sleepless nights (for me) of dozing intermittently with her in my arms on the couch. But now at only 1 week old she sleeps very well in the crib and I have no issues leaving her in there for a few hours at a time while I get up and go about my day.

Plan for whatever you want to do, but don't be too rigid about it once baby's here; in the end you do what you have to do to get some sleep. If that means sending your husband to buy a bassinet a few days after that baby's born because you're ready to rip all your hair out, no big deal :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, even though I sleep right next to my baby, I get up in the middle of the night and carry her to another room to feed her, so I can find myself a comfortable spot and watch tv and not disturb my husband since he has to get up for work in the morning while baby and I can sleep in. So not sure it even really makes a difference what room the baby's in, as far as having to get up in the night.
  • Options
    If you want, try it! If it doesn't work out, you have your PNP.

Personally, I like having the baby within arm's reach for a few months so I can check on them...but I also tend to be a little anxious at night ;)
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    We did it with DD. I knew if she was in the room with us every little noise and grunt would keep us awake. I'm hoping that DD2 will take to it as well as her big sister did.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

mean_girls_35345
  • Options
    We brought our baby home on the 15th and we had her in her crib since that night. She has been doing well with it. I must admit to getting up to check on her several times the first few nights but I've gotten more comfortable since. I don't know that it would be easier to have her in our room as I would still need to go to her room to change her diapers.
  • Options
    DS was in his crib from day one and he did great but the crib was in my room. With this LO the crib is in her room so we plan on using the bassinet in the PNP in our room during the night for awhile and the crib during the day for naps.
  • Options
    First night DS slept on us in the rocker/recliner in his room (when he slept) second night he slept in the RNP in his room, third night on, he's been sleeping in his crib!

As others have said, you have your "plan" ... But know that it might not work (sort of like a birth plan...)
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Is it safe to put baby in a RNP in a different room? Or should it be used in our room only?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    My LO is a mixed bag... She slept some in her own crib from day 1, but for only 2 hour increments (typical infant sleep patterns) :-)

Then we hit a wall at day 10... We now have the PNP in our bedroom since she sleeps better in the bassinet attachment. Tonight, I think I'll try a mixture of nursery/crib and cluster feeding on the couch since it won't disturb DH and I'll have access to On Demand \:D/
  • Options
    Worked with DS, he was in his own room from day 1 we didn't even have a monitor and it wasn't a problem. This LO though is a lot tougher....
  • Options
    I think it's weird for both of us for her to be so far away! I've been carrying her around for nine months and we've never slept apart. She's just too little to learn how to settle in in a completely different environment, so I'll wait a few weeks before I try the crib. With our first baby, he slept in his crib since day one, so it's not impossible. I just feel better when they're close.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We started with a twin PNP in our bedroom but I couldn't get in and out of our bed after my c section. I ended up setting up a bed for me in the nursery and I sleep in there and the babies are in a crib. I can't imagine sleeping in a separate room but I also want them in a crib- it works for us.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think as long as you know you will be up and down the hall quite often during the night then it should work! We had them in a crib in our room for two days but with my c sec it was too hard for me to get them, so we moved them into momma Roos right next to me. Good luck!
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    We tried the PNP in our room first and she would have none of it. She will only sleep in the crib at night, which I guess will be a good thing since we won't have to transition her later on!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"