June 2014 Moms

Introducing..... Jacob Aaron ! Born 4/10/14

Hello all,

So much has happened,  and I haven't been back on the board in a very long time, it seems.     But I have big news to share!    My LO,   Jacob Aaron,  came into the world 9 weeks early,  on April 10.   His due date was June 9,  so he was born at 31 weeks,  3 days.

It started out as what I thought was a bad case of indigestion and heartburn.   On Saturday,  April 5th, I started feeling pretty terrible.  The pain in my stomach kept getting worse,  and I thought at first I may have developed an ulcer.  I didn't want to eat anything at all,  and occasionally I'd get nauseous and dry-heave. I took Tums,  and Pepto... but on Sunday,  when the pain started to radiate into my back,  I decided something was very wrong,  and went to my local hospital to get checked out.  I went there,  because it's 2 min from my house,  and I thought they'd give me some milk of magnesia or something and send me back home.   My hospital (and my OB)  for the birth was 30 min away so I didn't bother going there,  again, thinking it wasn't a big deal, what I was feeling.   well... I was in for a very rude awakening!!

When I got there,  they took my blood pressure,  and then everyone freaked out.  It was super high...   211 / 100.   They told me I could have had a seizure or a stroke.   I was told to lay flat,  they stuck me with a bunch of IVs,  hooked up a fetal monitor,  stuck in a catheter  (!!!)   and told me I couldn't stand up at all.   I laid there for hours,  being monitored,  with a nurse at the bedside the entire time,  until I was told they were going to take me by ambulance to another hospital,  which had a Level 1 Trauma unit and a Level 3 NICU.    I was upset,  confused, and and scared to death for my baby at this point.    The ambulance got to the other hospital  (which still isn't the one I had set up for my birth),   and I was whisked into a Labor & Delivery room.    a Neonatologist came in to talk to my husband and I about the possible complications a 31 week old preemie would face,  and I just laid there crying, saying  "what the heck?  I just had indigestion!"       They had me on quite a bit of medication,  and constant blood pressure monitoring,  as well as testing my urine for protein.   Yep... you guessed it.... Preeclampsia had struck,  sudden and hard. 

They finally got my BP down to a reasonable level with the meds,  and at first told me (on Monday)  that I'd probably be staying there in the hospital with them for the next several weeks, on bed rest and monitoring.   They said that they wanted to keep him inside me as long as they could,  or at least to 34 weeks gestation.    I resigned myself to staying in that little hospital room for weeks,  saying I'd do whatever they said, as long as it was good for my baby.    They repeated the urine test on Wednesday,  and my levels kept rising,  along with the fact that they could not keep my BP stable.    It was decided they would have to do an emergency C-Section on Thursday morning.     I was really scared,  but they assured me he was in the best hospital for this to have happened,  and that they would do everything for him that they could.   I was taken into the OR at 12:30,   and he was born at 1:03 PM on 4/10/14.

I was on so many drugs,  including morphine and magnesium sulfate,  that I had severe dizziness.   My family was all there on Thursday afternoon for the birth,  and they all got to go to the NICU to see him...  except me!   I was finally feeling better the next afternoon,  and my husband and a nurse wheeled me down to see him.  He was so tiny.    But they said he was actually a really good size for being so premature.   he was 3 lbs,  14 oz!!   and 17 3/8 inches long. 

He is now 12 days old,   still in the NICU,  and will be for probably another 2-3 weeks.   He is doing GREAT!   he was initially on a CPAP,  but then had a setback, and was on a ventilator for about 4 days... but he's now off of both of them,  and just has a little oxygen tube going to his nose with a small air flow to help support him.   He is off of his IV, and is up to 32ml  of food through his feeding tube,  every 3 hours.   I have been able to hold him every day for a bit,  and even done the "kangaroo care"  skin to skin the last few visits.  He's doing great.  and honestly is the very most precious and beautiful thing I've ever seen.   I'm completely in love,  and cannot wait to bring him home.

Re: Introducing..... Jacob Aaron ! Born 4/10/14

• congratulations mama! he is absolutely precious! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, I'm sure it was terrifying! T&Ps Jacob continues to grow and you get to bring him home soon!
  • How scary, but I'm glad he's doing well now. Congrats on your new baby boy. I hope he continues to get stronger and can come home soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your sweet baby, prayers that you will be bring him home soon!
  • Adorable! Congrats and hope he gets discharged soon!
  • Congratulations!
  • I am so glad baby and you are doing well! Fingers crossed that he thrives and you are home soon!
  • Congratulations. I hope the rest of Jacobs nicu stay is uneventful and he gets to come home soon!
  • OMG! Congrats! He's adorable!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• Welcome baby Jacob!  And congratulations to you!

A very scary situation for sure, but I'm so glad to hear the happy outcome and that Jacob is doing so well.  I hope he gets to come home asap.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congrats! How scary. Glad you and the baby are doing well and I hope the hospital stay is short!
  • Congratulations! Praying that you can take your adorable baby boy home soon! :)
  • Congrats! He is so precious! Praying you get to bring him home soon!
  • How scary! So glad to hear you and LO are doing well! FX for a short NICU stay, keep us updated, keeping you both in my thoughts&prayers

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• HE IS SO HANDSOME!!!! I am relieved everything went well despite the horror you were feeling of the unknown. Praying for your precious family and recovery.

BabyFruit Ticker
    June 2014 February Siggy Challenge - Picture of me and DH
  • what an ordeal!  so sorry you had to go through that but the result is a great one!  he is beautiful, congratulations :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats!  Hope you both are doing well!
    BFP 12/30/12...MC 1/13...TTC again 6/11/13...
    BFP #2 9/28/13....EDD 6/7/14

imagephoto 1a59b4ac-19a8-49a0-9708-9916e05c4da6_zps5a5904c3.jpgimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats on your beautiful baby boy..... I'm praying for a fast recovery for both you and Jacob
  • kk627kk627 member
    Congratulations on your precious little boy. I'm sorry you two had to go through all that, but I'm glad he's here and doing great!
    photo imagesCA6G9QBP_zpsc3789ebf.jpg photo 7cad0d91-68fd-48bf-b58a-48256209fbe1_zps2cdcb730.jpg

May Siggy Challenge - Favorite TV Mom

BabyFruit Ticker

• He's adorable! I'm glad both of you are doing well.  Fingers crossed you get to take him home very soon.  Congratulations!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congratulations! So happy to hear he is doing well. Best wishes he gets to come home soon!

• Can't imagine how scary that must have been but I'm glad that he is doing well and hoping he gets stronger every day and can join you at home soon!!

• That's so scary but I'm glad you and he are doing well!!
  • So scary, but I'm glad everything worked out and both you and Jacob are doing well!!

• Congratulations! He is amazing! I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that, but your son is adorable and such a fighter!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Congratulations he is beautiful!! So scary what you went through but thank God everything is ok and sounds like both of you are getting great care! T&Ps for you guys! XO
  • He is adorable, congrats!
  • Congratulations! Glad momma and baby are doing well. It sounds like Jacob is a tough little guy, I hope he comes home soon!
  • vv826vv826 member
    He is gorgeous! I'm glad you both are doing well! Prayers that you get to take him home early!
  • Congrats!!!! So happy for you :)
  • Congratulations! So sorry you had to go through a scare first, but so happy to hear that your little boy is doing so well.
    June '14 June Siggy - Summer Heat!

• JNerdJNerd member
    Congrats
  • Congrats from a fellow NICU mom!!! I'm so glad both you and LO are doing well!! I hope he has a short stay and is home very soon!!!!
  • Congratulations on your precious baby boy.  I'm so glad that you guys are doing well, and I hope you can bring him home sooner rather than later!

• Congratulations!  I hope you get to bring him home very soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Congratulations on your little boy! He is just adorable! What a scary situation, but I'm glad that both you and your LO are doing well.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• What a scary situation, but congratulations!!!!

<3

• he is just perfect! sending continued prayers your way!! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"