March 2014 Moms

Sick baby t's & p's please! *update #1 **update #2

nickied143nickied143 member
edited April 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Addie has a cold. We were up all night because she was so congested. I've been saline spraying and snot sucking all day and taking her temp every few hours. Up until now the highest was 99.7. Now she's 101.3. I called pedi and he said she needs to go to ER. At only 5 weeks with a fever, they don't mess around.

Being a nurse, I know this means blood draws, catheter for urine sample, possible IV and possible spinal tap. We are headed to ER and I just can't stop crying because I know what's coming. T's & P's appreciated.

**UPDATE #1**
In the ER they tried twice to get an IV in and couldn't, had to call NICU to come down and start it, they got it in with lots of digging and screaming from Addie. They cathed her for urine, and did a spinal tap, drew her blood, and did a nasal swab for flu and RSV. It was awful. She screamed and screamed. My husband and I cried with her. After all that they told us we needed to stay overnight for observation because of her fever and because they did the lumbar puncture. Ok no problem. Get to her room and the doc comes in. He puts her on 2 IV antibiotics and tells us we need to stay until the cultures of the spinal fluid come back- 2 days. So far everything is negative. Blood work is fine. But her fever is still persisting. We haven't slept a wink and poor Addie is traumatized and just wants her mama. She's got tubes And wires hanging from everywhere, makes it hard to snuggle her and nurse her and hold her as tightly as I want to. She is still so congested and we've been suctioning all night. Waiting for the doc to come in this morning....poor DS is so upset we aren't home, he cried before FIL took him to school this morning, worried about his lil sis. Thanks for the T's and P's. Pray this fever finally breaks!

**UPDATE 2**
Doctor just came in and said the first vial of spinal fluid had increased white blood cells. But the last vial did not. (They take 3 vials and only test 1 & 3). Should be under 20, her first vial had 45. Said it's possible that she had a mild case of viral meningitis but doesn't think so because the last vial was only 17. Either way, there wouldn't be any treatment and she is fine. There is no bacterial growth so far. He said the cold could have caused some mild meningeal swelling which would result in increased white blood cells. They sent a sample of fluid to Mayo Clinic to test for presence of viruses. They will call our pediatrician with the results in 5-7 days. But he isn't worried and we will go home after her 9pm antibiotics provided her cultures are still negative at the 48hr mark. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! Creepy internet hugs to all of you!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sick baby t's & p's please! *update #1 **update #2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"