January 2014 Moms

BFing goal

How long are you planning on BFing or how long did you last?
I did it for 10 mo with DS (after loathing it for the first 2 months and saying "one more week, one more week...) and would like to try to last 1 year with DD. 
So, my goal is a year and anything else is a bonus. 
(My friends think when they can walk and talk, BFing is weird. So, talking to them about it is a waste of time bc I won't get support there.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: BFing goal

• I definitly want to bf for a year. I don't really have any interest in going beyond that, I basically just want to go until they can transition to regular milk (or almond milk like I drink) instead of formula.

imageimage

• I BF'd DD1 for 18 months. I'd like to go at least a year with Sophia
  • Loading the player...
  • I BF'd DS1 for 2 years (he self weaned) and will likely do the same for this one. I will let him self wean.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have made it to three months... Working on new goal of 6 months.
  • This is a question I ask myself weekly. Being back at work I have transitioned to more pumping than breastfeeding. I'd like him on breast milk until 6 months. I don't know past that.

• At least one year, but I can see us going 18 months. I have really enjoyed it and may let her self-wean. We'll see how I feel at one year.

• My goal is 1 year but will let self wean if supply is good still.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• I like to make 3 month goals, with my ultimate goal being one year. DS1 weaned at 14 months when I got pregnant with DS2. I'm really hoping to make it to a year again.
  • I'm definitely a special snowflake on this. Initially, my goal was to make it to 6 weeks, then to 12, then to 6 months, etc. However, because of PPD/A, low supply, colic, and other factors, I decided to wean at 6 weeks. I was miserable and didn't want to resent my daughter so something had to give. I was disappointed for a little while but realized happy mom = happy baby.

Who knows, with the next baby, knowing what I know now, maybe I'll be more successful. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have low supply, I would have been successful for longer than I was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image   image  image
  • edited April 2014
    I've made it to a year with my other 2, i usually quit pumping after about 11 months and just use up my freezer supply bc I get so sick of the huge dip in my supply during af.

If I ever get on bc (nexplanon) and I don't get a period I may go longer than a year, but I hate pumping...and if he refuses to nurse then I will probably stop pumping around a year.

Eta: added words

• My goal is 6 months. But I did miss it a lot the week I just pumped and gave her formula. So at 6 months, I will make the decision. I will also be back to work on a regular basis then (only going back for three weeks next month before summer break) and don't want to spend my time pumping. I much rather get stuff done during the work day and spend the night cuddling and doing things with Abby. (Otherwise the grading and lesson plans would come home and it would be nice to spend time with dh after Abby goes to bed). That's my thinking for now.

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Well I made it 3 months EBF but had to supplement a bit with formula cause my supply dropped since I went back to work, but I think cause I got sick too. I'm caught up again thank god. My goal is 6 months for sure but I want to go a year. :)
  • ChuggingWaterChuggingWater member
    edited April 2014
    I could have written this exact post.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• I have no idea. My closest local friend think it is weird to nurse past walking, too. Reality they are all waiting for me to quit anyways.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• I hope to do 1 year and then go from there.
  • With DS I nursed 3 months and pumped another 3. I'm really hoping to nurse DD until 6 months and go from there. I didn't enjoy nursing with DS and pumping was awful. I was counting down to quitting the entire time. I don't feel that way at all this time and I'm hoping that feeling lasts.

• @rgoblue‌, doesn't it get easier as time goes? I HATED it with both kids in the beginning. Even though I knew it got easier when I was nursing DD in the beginning, I was so close to quitting. Good for you.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • @kellydew09‌, how do you do it? Pumping is rough. It's double the work! I'm impressed!

• My initial goal was 6 months.  After the first week I was in so much pain that I was on a "just one more week" goal but it finally got easier after the first month.  Now that we've gotten the hang of it, I actually enjoy it and I even enjoy pumping too (strangely, I find it kind of cool).  My new thought is going until one year, when I can transition her to regular milk.  By that point, I think I will be ready to be done.
    imageimage

Lilypie - (75Jo)

• vterpvterp member
    I've made it 3 months so far and am taking it week by week from here.  I've been EPing since DD was 2 weeks old.  I'd love to make it 6 months, but I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker'>v

• This is a question I ask myself weekly. Being back at work I have transitioned to more pumping than breastfeeding. I'd like him on breast milk until 6 months. I don't know past that.
     Similar situation, except that I've exclusively pumped since LO was about 1wk old. Pumping is exhausting, so I hope I can make it until 6 months, then use freezer stash beyond that.
    I have been EP since DD was 1 month old and hate it! It takes so much time. I'm hoping to pump until she is 6 months old and use the stash for the rest of the time. If my calculations are correct if I stop pumping in July I'll have enough milk to get me to the 11 month/1 year mark.
  • A year or so. I nursed ds1 for 15 months and that was a good length of time. I was pretty ready to wean him and he took it quite well.

I have discovered I like nursing a baby. Not into nursing a toddler. They start to get fidgety, squirmy, etc and when DS got lazy with his latch his teeth sometimes started to drag. Just my personal feelings, I don't care about what other people do.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I'll continue at least until I go back to Orkney in August. If pumping goes well, I'll continue until at least a year. She may need to get some formula during the day depending on what I can pump but I'm ok with that since we supplemented in the beginning and she occasionally gets formula now since I don't really have a freezer stash.
    imageimageimage
  • My original goal was 6 months. In the beginning I didn't think I would make it to 6 weeks, but now I want to go to at least 1 year.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

• karah4816 said:

I definitly want to bf for a year. I don't really have any interest in going beyond that, I basically just want to go until they can transition to regular milk (or almond milk like I drink) instead of formula.

This except if they can't do regular like DS and me, she will be on lactose free milk.
  • Hoping for 1 year. I go back to work next week so I'm nervous about pumping and maintaining my supply. I might start preemptive fenugreek.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I plan for a year also, but I'll be okay if we make it up to 6 months. We had a tough start with BF and now after 3 months, we got the hang of it so I'm not too worried about how long to bf.
  • My original goal was a year, but with my supply problems I too started the "two more weeks" thought. My goal changed to two months, then three. Now he is weaned to only nursing twice a day and I don't pump during the day. This works for us until it doesn't anymore.
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
  • km_mdkm_md member
    I originally thought that I'd try to go for a year and then see what happens. Now I think about switching all of the time. There are always things that seem to come up to make me wonder if it is worth it to keep trying or if I should switch to formula in hopes that it will work better for DD. I'm almost at 3 months now so at least I made it to one milestone of mine.

• heather52904heather52904 member
    edited April 2014
    I'm aiming for a year. We've had a lot of BF issues, so I think if we make it to 6 months I would be ok with that. I haven't gone back to work yet, and I'm worried about how that may affect my supply.

TTC Since 8/2011
    BFP #1 5/13/12 * EDD 1/24/13 * MC at 7 wks 4 days on 6/11/12
    BFP #2 5/13/13 * Current EDD 1/23/14

Baby N born 2/8/14

imageimage

Lilypie - (HD7B)

• I'm a teacher, so I'm going to stop at 7 months in August before I start back at school. Pumping and eating pretty much sucks. But hoping to have enough frozen to get her through at least another 2 months.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• I'm at a 6 month goal right now. Pumping at work can be hard, I get 3 sessions in during my 12 hour shift if I'm lucky. So that is the only thing that would stop be from going to a year, which is my big goal.
  • With my ds I made it 3 months, and had to switch. So my original goal was at least 3 months, and then we found out she is MSPI, so I am now shooting for a year.
  • I'd like to go at least a year, and then figure things out from there. I went almost 17 months with DS1 (my goal was a year, but neither of us were ready to stop when his first birthday rolled around). The last time I nursed him was a little over a week before I got my BFP for DS2.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a teacher, so I'm going to stop at 7 months in August before I start back at school. Pumping and eating pretty much sucks. But hoping to have enough frozen to get her through at least another 2 months.
    Same here. I go back tomorrow afternoon through 6/10, so I just need to make it about 7 weeks (33 days, but who's counting ;) ) pumping at school, then I can nurse during the summer and bottle-feed my stash until it runs out when I go back to school in September.
    Met & fell in love in '02 Married in '10
    Our first is in Heaven- we said goodbye in September 2012
  • I plan to go a year. I'll play it by ear after that. I really want my ridiculously huge boobs replaced by my normally huge boobs. Yes, there's a difference. I wish I was more Zen about this change in my body, but I'm just not.

I'm curious. How big now? Normally? @tarajeannette‌

• My goal was 8 weeks. Then maternity leave. Now it's 3 months (which is Sunday.)  I really don't have any more goals after that.  I'm down to nursing her twice/day now, so I'm happy with that schedule and we will do it for as long as it works for the both of us.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I am hoping to get to 12 months.  With DS1, we were still nursing at 12 months but he started eating mostly donor milk  when I got pregnant with DD.  DD was 5 months old when we weaned due to her medical issues.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"