Pregnant after IF

How tired is "normal" ?

edited April 2014 in Pregnant after IF
I'm really feeling like a failure right now. I see all these pregnant women (and friends who have recently given birth) and they seemed so active throughout their pregnancy. They were always out and about and social and never complained. 

Me? I'm 8 weeks 2 days and I am so tired I fear I might actually fall asleep while typing this. It seems no matter how much I sleep at night, I'm walking around like a zombie. I can barely focus at work and, when I get home from work, all I can do is climb into bed -- which I feel horrible because I've been leaving DH to fend for himself for dinner. I still haven't planted my garden. I've been neglecting housework to the point where it's just starting to get overwhelming. I dread having to go out and do anything social. Really, I just want to be at home in bed like all the time. 

I know I have twins, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is beyond the "normal" level of tired for pregnancy. I'm wondering if there's something else wrong -- could I be deficient in some nutrients? I have no idea. Any thoughts? Experiences? Ideas?

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
TTC since 2011
Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: How tired is "normal" ?

• Sorry to say, but it is totally normal. There were days in the first tri where I just stared blankly at my computer screen for several minutes - totes zoned out. If I would have put my head down on my desk I would have been asleep. I lucked out with minimal morning sickness, but the exhaustion was crazy! Even now that I am in the second tri I am still tired. People keep talking about the energy surge, but I missed that...my energy surge was not feeling like I could sleep standing up.

Just keep reminding yourself that is takes a lot of energy to grow babies. There is a reason why you are tired. Some days will be better than others. And I can totally tell when my LO is having a growth spurt just based on my exhaustion.

TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Please sleep as much as you can. I miss the first trimester because I slept ALL the TIME! It wasn't just sleeping but It was quality sleeping. I now have the third trimester insomnia and with a baby coming in 5 weeks my sleep is numbered. Please sleep with no guilt! :) enjoy it!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Allison7, I thought it was just me! I really feel like my energy level plummets in those weeks when growth is supposedly surging.

OP, from everything I've read and experienced it is totally normal, especially for where you are in your pregnancy. Can you hire someone to clean the house? Try not to worry about your DH, he was able to feed himself before you two met, he can do so again for a little while.

I was at the point where I would almost nod off at stoplights from weeks 6-12. My fatigue did get better right about 13 weeks- here's hoping you get that second tri energy boost.
    *****signature/ticker warning*****

Me: 31, DOR-most recent AMH 0.28 and FSH 16.5
    DH:34, no issues
    9/13: DOR DX
     Clomid w/IUI cycle #1& 2=BFN
    Gonal-f w/ IUI cycle #3: 150 IU/day, IUI 12/16=BFP! Beta#1=175 on 12/30, beta#2=950 on 1/3, beta #3=9035 on 1/9; first U/S 1/17 showed one beautiful heartbeat @ 114,  second U/S on 1/24 hr=156 and everything perfect!
    EDD:9/6/14

BabyFetus Ticker

• Agreed with all of the above PP - I was *so* tired in first tri, and I've only got a singleton!  And I haven't really gotten that energy surge in 2nd tri.  One thing to check on, though, is your iron levels.  At your next app't, you might ask for bloodwork to see if your doc recommends you start taking iron supplements (take them with a vitamin C chewable or a piece of citrus fruit, to help with absorption).  Also, be sure that you are eating the right kinds of foods - protein, complex carbs, etc.  Too many simple carbs can cause you to crash, but protein and complex carbs (think apple + peanut butter, or whole wheat pita with hummus) gives you more lasting energy.  But overall, yes, first tri is exhausting.  Hang in there!
    Me: 37 | DH: 38 | Married 9/2012, low AMH, high FSH
    First-ever BFP after IUI #4 (Follistim) - Baby Girl born (36w2d) 8/8/2014!
    TTC #2 since Feb 2015
    BFP 5/4/15
  • I don't have any experience-based advice as I never experienced the fatigue, but I just wanted to say feel better.  Also, my OB said that the no-caffeine thing is a total myth and it's perfectly safe to have some if you really need or want it.  Maybe some coffee, or even a Coke, will help.  Also, I know it's probably the last thing you want to do, but try going for a walk.  Exercise always wakes your body up a little bit.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
    FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15
  • I agree that exhaustion in 1st tri is totally normal. I spent 3 weeks doing nothing other than napping and laying in front of the tv because I had zero energy. I cried a few times because I felt so guilty for doing nothing. DH would just laugh at me. I don't know how I would've coped if I had a job!! My heart goes out to you! Hang in there because you'll start feeling better.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• The exhaustion was the worst, IMO. I could barely function and found it extremely difficult to work, manage the house and take care of DD. I literally would come home from work, collapse on the couch and let DD watch TV so I could sleep until DH would get home. I never saw a surge in energy in the 2nd trimester this pregnancy but did the first time. I've been feeling exhausted again for the past 2 weeks and even fell asleep mid conversation with DH once!
    I wish I had advice. The only thing I'd say is be sure to keep yourself hydrated, and sleep or at least rest whenever you can. Eat protein rich foods to help with energy. Talk to your doctor, too. They tested me for anemia because of my exhaustion (it ended up being negative). It's a lot of work growing a little person...even more for 2! Good luck and feel better!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your comments. It really helps knowing I'm not just a total wuss when it comes to this pregnancy thing. 

When I get released to my OB (which I hope will be this week), I'm going to discuss the iron thing with him. I have been borderline anemic in the past, so that wouldn't be totally surprising. 

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

• Sounds totally normal. When I stopped the IVF drugs I saw a marked improvement due to the drop in hormones. Helped with the nausea too.
  • Just wanted to chime in that it sounds totally normal to me too!  I am 9 weeks pregnant with twins and I have just started being able to stay up past 8pm!  :)  
    Me: 33, DH: 33
    Married since 2007

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • yep, I agree with everyone else - sounds totally normal! Some days I wake up and already feel so tired just thinking about the day ahead! And there have been many days where I have locked my office door and rested on the floor for a little while because I just cannot take it. Hang in there and rest as much as you can!!
  • I am totally with you!! I come home every day and take a nap...I work in a high stress job, and I find myself more irritable because I can only muster the "bare minimum" right now, too! LOL
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• I'm surprised @Manada hasn't posted on this thread. It's probably because she's too tired. This has been our life (well her life with me observing and trying to support her) for the last 7 or 8 weeks. She even posted on the multiples board about it today.

****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • 1st tri was exhausting - several times a week I left work early just to go home and nap!  Even then, I still had trouble staying awake past 8 or 9pm each night.  I missed out on any energy surge in 2nd tri - I spent weeks 14-20 constantly sick with something or other, so I was pretty miserable.  Now that I'm in 3rd tri, I'm even more exhausted than I was in 1st tri!

TTC since July 2011

Me(33): normal HSG; diagnosed with mild PCOS

DH(35): normal SA

*6 cycles no meds, July-Dec. 2011, all BFN

*Clomid for 3 cycles, Jan-March 2011: BFP March 2011

*MC at 6 weeks

*2 cycles off

*Started TTC again July 2012 with Clomid, 6 cycles from July-Dec. 2012, all BFN

*1 cycle no meds: BFN

*1 cycle Femara: BFN

*1st RE visit March 2013 - first IUI in April 2013 with Femara, Menopur, and Novarel (BFN); second IUI in May 2013, same protocol (BFN); two cycle break;  third IUI in August 2013, same protocol (BFN)

*1st IVF cycle, October 2013 (Synarel, Menopur (75 iu), and Gonal-F (150 iu)) -- BFP!!  Saw two babies at our 5wk5d u/s on Oct. 28th!  EDD=June 25, 2014

• I am a proud daily napper over here.  It is totally normal.  I am looking forward to the energy in 2nd tri.

• Just wanted to echo PP comments. The extreme tiredness hit me at week 7 and hasn't left yet. I wish I could get daily naps, at most I get one week day nap and take tons of naps on the weekend. Actually, we've just stopped doing things on the weekend because I want to sleep for 72 hrs straight. Without naps, during the work week, I crash around 9 pm. It is horrible because I'm constantly bringing work home because I'm a day late and dollar short every.single.day. Obviously, it doesn't get done. I'm really hoping that the 2nd tri energy boost happens!
    Me: 37 DH: 41
    Dx: Endometriosis
    TTC May 2012
    Jan 2014 IUI#1: BFN
    Feb 2014 IUI #2: BFP
    Beta #1: 403
    First u/s: 3/14 It is TWINS!!
    EDD: 11/12/2014 ~ Boys x2
    ~~ All welcomed ~~

• Great topic! I'm just approaching my 7th week and am super exhausted allll the time. Last Saturday was spent in my bed literally sleeping all day! DH laughs at me because when he calls to check up on me during the work day my response is always, "I'm tired". I just listen to my body and sleep!
  • Yes and yes! So tired the first tri. Felt useless! Got a little back in second tri and that is go time Bc when third tri hits, everything is difficult and you are even more out of breath. Hang in there!

• Glad to see here that I'm not alone. I'm normally someone who cannot sit still. I love to be up and being productive (cleaning, cooking, baking, etc). These days I can barely muster to make a simple dinner. I normally get antsy and feel crappy if I spend the entire evening on the couch and it's all I'm doing these days. Normally I read on my daily commute and I've been resting my eyes in the morning and I completely pass out on the way back. I'm 7 weeks and this started right at 5.5 or so. Glad to see that some of it comes back in the 2nd tri... 
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

ivf #1 (MFI): 18 retrieved, 16 fertilized 
         bfp: 8dp3dt, beta #1 10dp3dt: 103, beta #2 14dp3dt 637, EDD: 12.06.14! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I normally can't sleep... and I still have some insomnia but I'm exhausted and have definitely been sleeping a considerable amount more... I don't think I've ever napped this much as an adult. It reminds me a lot of when I had mono in high school and just wanted to sleep.  Take advantage of getting as much rest as you can because like PP have said 3rd tri and of course when baby comes you won't be able to get as much!

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
    TTC 11/12
    started Metformin 9/13
    HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
    2/14: hopefully 1st IUI... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
    3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
    3/28: beta#1: 108
    4/2: beta#2: 799
    4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
    12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

• Oh my gosh! Yes! The comment about having mono... I had mono when I was 13 and it feels just like that. 

image image
    TTC since 2011
    image image

image image image image 

• First tri exhaustion is no joke. I used to have to take an hour nap every afternoon just to get by. The tiredness lasted till probably about 17 weeks or so for me. Then all of a sudden I started feeling good! My m/s started calming down, I didn't need to rest so much and I got a little bit of energy.

If I can give you any advice it would be to do anything important and time consuming you have to do during that little bit of energy!

Once third tri hits (and it'll seem to hit you earlier with twins!) then you're back to being tired because you can't sleep at night and uncomfortable because you can't move freely with babies in there :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"