High-Risk Pregnancy

Positive FFN Question

For those of you that have had a positive FFN (Fetal Fibronectin) result, was it accurate for you (meaning did you go into labor within 2 weeks) or was it not? If not, how long was it before you went into labor?

image    image    

Re: Positive FFN Question

• XathXath member
    So the FFN is very accurate as a negative predictor.  If it's negative, you have something akin to a 99.9% chance of not going into labor.  However, a positive fFN isn't really an indicator that you will go into labor.  It's just saying it's not super positive that you won't.  There are lots of things that can cause a false positive as well.  If you've had any sort of cervical check or vaginal ultrasound within 48 hours before the fFN, the gel they use frequently generates false positive results. 

Best of luck to you.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor essentially said that they won't change what we have been doing (bed rest, 17P injections, and vaginal progesterone suppositories). I know it isn't a good indicator of when you will go into labor, but I had heard that something like 60% of women who receive a positive go into labor at or before 35 weeks. Just curious what others' experiences are with this test and receiving a positive. I am praying I make it to full-term!

image    image    

• Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed with short cervix and had a positive ffn at 24 weeks. I was put on progesterone suppositories and procardia because I also contacted. I also went on bedrest. It was very scary and stressful. I kept my precious little girl in till 37 and 5. So in my case it was not accurate. A ffn is accurate determining if labor will not occur ( if the test is negative). But you still do not want to take a positive one lightly.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Thank you for sharing your experience. I am hoping the combination of 17P, progesterone supposities, and bedrest will keep me pregnant until I hit full-term. 

image    image    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"