Toddlers: 24 Months+

intro and crib-to-bed help

Hi there, I am here a little early (Eva will be 2 in June) but most of the questions I have are for older toddlers than younger (i.e. potty training, transitioning to bed, etc).  I was trying to make it to the summer before switching her over to a bed but she changed that plan today by climbing out of her crib during nap time.  I am wondering about everyone else's experiences with this and if anyone has any great tips to make it go smoother.  Eva is very sensitive to change (she screamed for 3 nights when we lowered her crib) and I am nervous it is going to be tough...

Re: intro and crib-to-bed help

• kalettekalette member
    edited April 2014
    It actually went really well with my DD when we switched her to the big girl bed at 23 months. She had had a pee-leak from her diaper during the night, so her bedding got all wet in the crib. We already had her big girl bed in the room (for maybe a month prior) and made up, so when nap time came and I pulled the dirty sheets off her crib, I thought I'd give it a go in the big girl bed rather than re-making the crib. I just brought her in and explained that the crib blankies were dirty and needed to be washed, so she had to sleep in the big girl bed instead. At first she was a little confused, but I put her in the big girl bed, just as I would have her crib. I left and she sat up looking confused (we have a video monitor) then laid back down and went to sleep. We decided to keep her in the big girl bed then and haven't looked back, and neither has she. 
    Went way better than I ever could have imagined. She never tried to leave the bed, and still hasn't (knock on wood- I suppose she'll start now!).

So anyway, maybe some sort of simple explanation, like needing to wash the blankies could help?
  • thanks, yesterday went better than expected...she did sleep on the floor near her door for nap but then last night she cried for a bit after getting out of bed but then got right back in.  Eva did wake up at 2am and I'm trying to figure out how to get past that...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"