June 2014 Moms
Options

Social Surrogacy

Happy Easter everyone!!

I saw this story yesterday and was pretty shocked and I wanted to know what you ladies thought.

https://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/social-surrogacy-option-moms-shun-pregnancy-160413402--abc-news-parenting.html

I agree with some of the commenters on the story. If people are doing this because they don't want to interrupt their career, what do they think raising a child is going to be like?? I also think it's pretty selfish. What do you think?

Re: Social Surrogacy

• Options
    I mean....I get it. It wouldn't interest me personally, but if you REALLY don't want to be pregnant and you've got a ton if cash and a willing surrogate, why not? Frankly I'm sure there's a surrogate out there willing to eat an all organic balanced diet and participate in regular exersizes and otherwise be the "perfect pregnant" woman for a fetus, if you paid her enough....so why not let her? IF that's what you want. I would miss out on having the experience, but it doesn't seem to hurt anybody.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just can't get worked up over it. I don't think they are harming the baby in any way to go this route and I feel like discussing "acceptable" reasons for using a gestational carrier starts a slippery slope of people judging which medical reasons are valid and which aren't---just another way to judge moms. Don't we have enough of those already?
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    curlylocks3curlylocks3 member
    edited April 2014
    Also, I'm just gonna say that while I didn't see it specified in the article, I am guessing most of the women mentioned are probably using a gestational carrier vs doing traditional surrogacy...which means that the woman opting to do this is also going through stims and an egg retrieval- and that is certainly no walk in the park.

Eta: it was bugging me so I did go to agency's website. Any parent choosing to go this route also has to go through psychological screening and be cleared to do this, it's not like people are able to do this just on a whim.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Options

If I had the money I'd do it. Pregnancy is hard, emotionally and physically. If I could get my sweet beautiful baby without all the pain and depression I go through during and after pregnancy, hells yeah I'd do it!!

I'm not going to say a woman is "selfish" because she chooses to skip it. Carrying a child isn't the only way to be a mother. A woman should be free to choose what she does with her own body whether it's having a child, not having a child, or choosing to give the gift of life to another mother.

imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    I kind of feel like if you want a child and don't want to go to through pregnancy, adoption should be your first option.  There are so many babies that need homes.  I also understand that many of the children in the US who need adoption are no longer infants, and that negates the whole "having a baby" part.  I wonder if anyone's looked at the cost of surrogacy vs. the cost of international adoption (more infants available). 

That said, I hate pregnancy.  I would love to have my sweet baby without having to go through 40 weeks of this crap. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I guess my biggest concern with this new "trend" is how it would impact a woman who needs a surrogate but doesn't have a lot of $. As in, if this trend continued, would the (presumably limited number of) willing surrogates in the state/country end up choosing moms who don't need a surrogate but can pay big money for the convenience of their lifestyle, instead of helping a mom who can't carry her own child, but can't offer the same financial compensation?

I don't know much about the going rates for surrogates anyway, I would just feel awful if the moms who needed them got "outbid" by women with more disposable $.

I don't know if that would realistically happen though. It's just something that came to my mind.

image        image

• Options
    Ok, I've been convinced that I'm being judge mental. Hey, I'm hormonal and can be a bit bitchy sometimes lol. I guess I'm just surprised. I couldn't imagine skipping this bonding experience with my LO but do realize that it's not for everyone.
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    edited April 2014
    @lest12 surrogates are already expensive. I looked into it when i thought the problem might be with my body rather than my eggs; it costs WAY more than i could afford (and I could "afford" the IVF and FETs out of pocket without going into too much debt.)

@lyracelesti - I kind of figured they were expensive already, I just don't know if richer women could pay more than the already crazy amount or something. Maybe it's a little far fetched :) But still... I might sound judgey or naive or something, but it makes me sad that some woman can pay for a surrogate as not to have their life disrupted, when there are so many woman who wish they could carry their own children and can't (and aren't as financially well-off). I know it's a whole other issue, but it bums me out. To each their own but this doesn't give met he warm and fuzzies, either.

image        image

• Options
    Exactly what @ladymacaron said.
    I'm not picking on you @Lilygrace48‌, but it always seems to be the people who haven't been faced with the decision of possibly not being able to be a mother that say others should adopt, as if it doesn't come with it's own share of struggles. It also means giving up any genetic connection to your child, which surrogacy allows you to maintain. That connection matters more to some than others, but to some people it's very important.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

@curlylocks3, I actually have been faced with that possiblity, and my choice was still adoption first.  It caused a lot of friction between my husband and I at the time, because the biological connection was way more important to him than it was to me.  To me, being a mother is bringing up a baby.  To him, being a father is bringing up a baby that was literally a piece of him.  I didn't mean at all to diminish that choice in my original answer, as I know how hard that decision can be for people who have to make it.  I was lucky and it didn't end up needing to be a decision that we had to make. 

ETA: Didn't see @LadyMacaron 's response initially.  Same goes.  I DO know what that choice entails, and I have had to have those discussions.  I don't think it's "just adopting" at all, and I understand, as my DH is one of those who wouldn't have a baby over adopting if it were his choice alone, that not everyone can get on board with it. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    Exactly what @ladymacaron said. I'm not picking on you @Lilygrace48‌, but it always seems to be the people who haven't been faced with the decision of possibly not being able to be a mother that say others should adopt, as if it doesn't come with it's own share of struggles. It also means giving up any genetic connection to your child, which surrogacy allows you to maintain. That connection matters more to some than others, but to some people it's very important.
    Ditto. Some friends of mine just adopted their baby and it was a really overwhelming, emotional, expensive, and overall draining process. They are so happy but the road to get there was hard. 

Personally, I don't see the issue with this. I also don't enjoy being pregnant that much. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way to the ladies on this board who have struggled; I just never got into the whole bonding experience and being pregnant has been hard on me both times. So I'm sure that colors my opinion. But I don't really care either way if someone wants to use a surrogate for any reason. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"