Parenting

Ridiculous breastfeeding restriction?

My MIL is visiting from Ireland and just told me that SIL was told by a nurse not to have more than 1 serving of fruit a day while nursing. That's ridiculous, right?

I think it's shit like that that leads to women not wanting to bother.

I told her I nursed both my boys for a year+ and ate all the fruit (and everything else) with no problems, but that I'd ask around and see if anyone else heard that advice.

Re: Ridiculous breastfeeding restriction?

• Nope. That's ridiculous.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• The only thing our pediatrician suggest I limit was highly acidic fruit while breastfeeding. I craved Oranges and OJ while breastfeeding but my son had reflux.  In addition if I had the big glass of OJ I was craving he would get a horrible diaper rash. 

I can't imagine only having one serving of fruit a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard that before. I try to limit the spicy stuff bc I don't want to upset her tummy. Other than that I eat whatever I want.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thank you!!
    I understand the acidic stuff for reflux. I'm not sure when she got the "advice" but my niece is 4 months and has never had a hint of a feeding/digestive issue.
  • I ate everything, except limited caffeine after about 9am.

• MaebbMaebb member
    Ridiculous. I didn't restrict anything I was eating except for limiting alcohol and caffeine and obviously things like prescription drugs.
  • I'm like most of these ladies...I ate whatever I wanted but limited alcohol. My boys never had issues with anything I ate. Not that othe kids don't but I'd say unless you see a definite reaction why restrict more than you have to.
  • Never heard of that. I nursed for 15 months and never limited my fruit intake.
  • Maybe your MIL misunderstood...? Like the nurse said to limit acidic fruits, or grapefruit (which can cause problems with some medications)...?

• That sounds ridiculous. The only advice my doc gave me back when I breastfed was, if you eat something and everytime you do it upsets her tummy, stop eating it. I never had issues with specific foods, I just limited my caffeine intake and drank responsibly.
  • Ridiculous. I eat all the fruits. =P~

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Soxgirl07Soxgirl07 member
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty sure there was nothing else going on. SIL just wouldn't have brought it up if it was related to something she was keeping private. There's been other questionable nursing advice she's gotten from medical professionals.
    Also, she's weaning now and was excited to go back to eating fruit.
    I only have the conversations with my in laws to judge, but I think breastfeeding is less the norm in Ireland, but that it's being encouraged more and more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"