May 2014 Moms
Options

Doctor wanting to induce - should I?

Hi everyone I need some help!

My doctor tells me baby is looking great and fine but he says as long as I'm dialating he is willing to induce at 39 weeks. I made the "mistake" of saying this on Facebook and everyone is freaking out asking if something is wrong or why would I want to do that?

I did some research and the only positive things i discovered is that baby might be 1/2 lb lighter (hopefully) making vaginal delivery easier and that it will be scheduled so I know when she's arriving.

I'm not really in any rush, and contractions are just going to be worse and a higher chance of c-section so I dont know why I would elect to do this really if nothing is medically wrong other than I want her here! That just seems selfish of me though...

Has anyone else's doctor suggested early indcuction even though you and baby are healthy!?

Thanks!
Michelle
37w 3d

Re: Doctor wanting to induce - should I?

• Options
    Pretty sure you've already got your answer laid out in front of you. Do what you feel is best for you. It sounds like your Dr is merely agreeing to allow it, should you decide you are ready, instead of suggesting it.
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally would wait as much as I can't wait to meet my LO. Do what you think is right for you and your baby.
  • Options
    I'd rather go naturally, but my husband is always out of town for business so we scheduled an induction for 39 weeks so he could be home (that's if I make it that long). On the plus side, I'm glad I know when she's coming (I think that's why I had high blood pressure at delivery... Fear of the unknown) and my son came a week early so that eases my mind a bit, but if I could void pitocin I would.
  • Options
    MrsT2008MrsT2008 member
    edited April 2014
    It doesn't sound so much like he wants to induce, just that he's offering the option. If you don't care to do it, then don't. 

ETA: my OB had the same offer at my appt this week - said they offer it to non-FTMs at 39 weeks if progression is already happening (though he did say they don't particularly love doing it, but wanted me to know it was an option)
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I would think the more painful pitocin contractions would more than make up for the baby being a half pound lighter.

Plus not that I have anything to compare it to yet, but my son was born 8 days early (not induced) and it still hurt like hell.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, and weight wont really mean much in terms of pain, especially if you're talking about a difference of only a week or so.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    Having had one induction and facing another, both for medical reasons (pre e and GD)...dont do it unless you have to.

Pitocin is no fun, especially the contractions. Being hooked up to monitors (bc of the pitocin) when you are laboring is no fun. Slow progress bc your body isnt ready is no fun.

Yeah, the scheduling would be convenient, but thats about it. A half pound doesnt generally matter at this stage in terms of ease of pushing.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    Seems like your doctor is just expressing that it's a possible option, not the end-all-be-all. Probably best to let nature take it's course. At the same time, the decision is between you, the father, and the doctor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    As someone who had a failed induction ending in C/S, I would not induce unless I had to.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    I am the type of person who doesn't worry about it til the time comes and let nature takes its course, so induction at 39 weeks seems a little early for me. However, an induction at 41-42 weeks would be something to consider.

But do what you feel, its about your comfort level and the pros vs. the cons. Your doc is probably stating it as an option, not a plan set in stone.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs who say no. The odds for ending up in a c section go up with induction. If there is no medical reason to induce, I would wait for my body to go into labor on its own.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    amroke said:

I would think the more painful pitocin contractions would more than make up for the baby being a half pound lighter.

Plus not that I have anything to compare it to yet, but my son was born 8 days early (not induced) and it still hurt like hell.

This.

Plus I had my babies 13 and 15 days early and they also hurt like a bitch one being 8.8lbs at 15 days early. I don't think a week will make a difference in the size of the baby or the pain it will cause while pushing but piticin does bring on some nasty ass contractions (I know this because I had to have it with my first due to waters broken with no progression) good luck with whatever you choose
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IBackBevo said:
    The odds for ending up in a c section go up with induction.
    I was told that was true and wondered, didn't want to say it if it wasn't :)
  • Options
    Ftm mom here but I'm all for no induction if it's not medically necessary. Pitocin is an awful thing, especially if you're trying to avoid more pain. Also, I don't think a half a pound is going to make a huge difference in the pain or ease of delivery. I've heard it's really more of the position of baby. Good luck on your decision.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was induced with my first and I have absolutely no desire to do it again. As PPs have said, the contractions are extremely painful.

I am a huge supporter of trusting your body. If it's not ready, don't force it!
    Good luck with your choice, though!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Im being induced but because it is safer foe me ans.the baby becaise of my age .. woman over 40 have a higher rate of stillbirth of let go past their due date. For that reason my doctor is inducimg me 2 days before my EDD. But if not for that I would not opt for any intervention.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    photo 60020120725ELE036.jpgphoto IMG_18642013130584_zps06545ab5.jpg
  • Options
    CrazijewelCrazijewel member
    edited April 2014
    Don't do it unless you have a medical reason. Many inductions fail and c/s are needed. Who cares about a half a pound?
    Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I work in Postpartum and all of my coworkers say they would never want to have an induction unless it was medically necessary. I've seen a lot of inductions turn to c/s and I just dont understand why you would want that just so you know when baby is coming.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FTM here as well. I am 39 and have had a nice pregnancy so far. My OB has had already said she won't let me go much past my EDD because of my age. I am hoping to go naturally because I don't want to be induced.
  • Options
    I'm doing absolutely anything to avoid induction or c section. If you're ready and don't want either of those options ask about some natural methods to jump start labor. While they may not work, some can't hurt to try if Dr. gives you the ok.
  • Options
    Nope nope nope- if you get to 42 weeks it's a different story. Like all pp, inductions greatly increase your chance of c-section. Also be wary if they are offering cervadil before 40 weeks-
  • Options
    Having had an induction with my first, I'd like to avoid one with this LO. I hated being strapped down to machines monitoring LO. And a half pound won't make any difference.

If I were you, I'd wait closer to 41 weeks to make that decision.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    I was induced with my 1st at 39 weeks, merely bc my dr. Said if I wanted to she would induce me. My son was 4 days early. The whole process was amazing! I'm considering doing it again this time. Delivery went nice and smooth no issues at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know why inductions are given out like candy. Its convenient for the doctor-(I bet he doesn't schedule it on the weekend). Due dates are a mere estimate & often wrong unless you had exact 28 day cycles. Do your research on inductions-it is certainly something I wish to avoid, even if I go past the magical due date, if everything looks healthy then why?! Your body knows what to do when it's ready
  • Options
    Given that information, no I would absolutely not agree to an induction at 39 weeks.

Baby being half a pound smaller is only a positive thing if there's some sort of risk factor leading to concern about baby being too big (GD comes to mind).  Otherwise, it's better for baby to come when ready.

Anyway, no, for me, given the info you've provided.  Personally I'd be wary of an OB who even allows elective inductions at 39 weeks.  But I hate my OB and I'm still going to her, so I'm one to talk on that issue.
    All of this. I actually had one appointment with an OB and didn't go back because he threw out right away that he offers induction to his patients at 39 weeks if they wanted to deliver during the week when he'd for sure be there, and it made me question how supportive he'd be of trying to stay low-intervention. Baby will come when baby is ready.

• Options
    HallilHallil member
    edited April 2014
    I think it's all been covered but, no, I wouldn't induce if I was you. The chance of it all going perfectly compared to the risks of something going wrong and complicating what COULD be a fairly low intervention birth just don't make sense. I'd also leave the OB but I do understand that finding a new one at this point could be tricky.
  • Options
    mmksmmks member
    Agree with all the PPs!  Let your baby pick its own birthday if at all possible! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Just repeating at this point but everything I've read and been advised suggests waiting to go on your own if at all possible. Inductions are associated with more interventions and emergency C-sections. They are also often far more painful. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Like others have said, I wouldn't do it for all of the reasons mentioned. My doctor won't even offer until 41 weeks without a medical reason.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    Jillzy86Jillzy86 member
    edited April 2014
    I think my response has been covered, but I would wait unless something happens and baby needs to comes before the due date. It is ultimately up to you and how you want to handle it.

Edit because I have fat fingers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"