August 2012 Moms
Options

Easter Bunny ridiculousness on FB

So people started posting pics on FB and I wish they hadn't. It's Easter for crying out loud! I got each boy and bunny bath toy in an egg, some mm minis, a book, a straw cup and a light up ball. I got DD a t shirt, Mary poppins DVD, color wonder packet, mm minis, a light up ball and 2 packs of peeps on a stick that was a last minute but yesterday. I spent way too much on her. Much more than the boys but they aren't old enough to realize that yet. Anyway the people on FB look like Christmas. One picture has a rocking horse! Umm, that does not fit in a basket not to mention there are 10 other items per kid. I know I shouldn't judge or feel like less of a mom but jeez! Oh well, at least my kids will know mom did her best on her measly teachers salary!
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Easter Bunny ridiculousness on FB

• Options
    When we put everything together we realized we bought way too much! It added up when we started shopping a month ago and every time we were out we picked up something small.

I don't feel like it's as bad as some, but DD got lots.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    People went wayyyyy over board!!! We spent $50 total on 2 kids!!! (And that includes two stuffed toys that I realized after are actually dog toys... Easter bunny fail)
    Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was telling DH the same thing. His cousin has 4 kids and they each have a thirty-one storage tote that they got filled with crap. Told DH no wonder his cousin had to get a 2nd job....Not sure how they fit all that stuff in the house...
    I also had friends that got their kids ride on tractors and bikes. I agree it is Easter, you get some snacks and a couple little toys to play with and you're done!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SJandVASJandVA member
    edited April 2014
    It sounds like you did great. Sounds like more than enough for Easter. When did Easter become such a huge gift giving event?
    ETA DD1 always gets way more too. She's easier to buy for.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    All my DD got was a towel and two books! At least, that's all from DH and I. Loads of candy from my in-laws. I don't understand the desire to buy so many sweets for a toddler. I spent the whole visit trying to keep DD from eating her weight in jelly beans.
  • Options
    Our rule is that any gift needs to fit in the basket. And we have modest baskets. Grandparents give candy and $10 or a hand-knitted toy (which rock since my mom can make anything). We are working hard to raise the girls with realistic expectations of how most people live, but it can be difficult given the fact that we live in a fairly affluent area. They think it is normal for people to get iPods from the easter bunny and to go on cruises for Spring Break. Totally gross.

• Options
    Each boy got a book, and Aiden got a couple of dollar coloring books and crayons. They each got a 10 dollar stuffed animal from my parents. We spent ~15 on each boy, so 30 altogether. I figure that is fine. It isn't Christmas and I won't treat it that way.

imageimage
  • Options

Yeh, it's crazy!  Espchally since kids DD's age really have no clue what's going on. 

DD's "big gift" was a $10 wooden train from Ikea.  True, it did not fit in her basket, but I had it going around her basket.  Then I probably spent $5 on her basket, which included: water colors, paint brushes, 3 cans of playdough, $1 store plastic braceletts, juice box, small box of animal crakers, a single serve package of muffins, a box of raisins, and a few Andies mints.

My SIL gave DD a book.  And my mom gave DD a basket with a rubber ducky, a Leap Frog phone, and a few eggs with jelly beans (and I threw out the jelly beans).

@shakinros - I was too terrified to give DD jelly beans.  But my SIL filled the plastic eggs for the hunt with hershey kisses.  When DD would find and egg, she'd shake it.  And when she heard something inside she'd crack it open.  She's never seen a hershey kisee before, but she'd hand it to me and say "eat".  I'd open it and bite it in half and give her the other half!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"