Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby spits up whenever on her back

kat4905kat4905 member
edited April 2014 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Hi there,
I am exclusively breastfeeding and my 3 week old baby spits up the majority of the time when I put her in her crib. She doesn't seem to be bothered by spitting up. I asked Friday and her pediatrician doesn't seem to be worried since she is gaining weight and doesn't seem uncomfortable. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions that you've found helpful for helping reduce it? I've tried keeping her upright for 30 minutes or so after feeding.
Thanks!

BabyFruit TickerAnniversary

Re: Baby spits up whenever on her back

• Sounds like reflux?  Maybe put her to sleep on a slight incline, with her head slightly elevated?   You could put folded up towels underneath the head of the crib mattress to raise it up a little.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you burping often mid feed? This has helped us immensely. Agree about the incline as well. We put his cosleeper at an incline.

I also read some babies are sensitive to vitamins such a young age and I was giving the vitamin d drops, so I stopped those for now and plan to reintroduce in another month or so. (My LO is 7weeks tomorrow).
  • Loading the player...
  • I was having this problem to but I found if I burp in the middle of my feedings and then keep him up right for 30mins he doesn't spit up anymore!
  • My son does this pretty often. I have to burp him once or twice in the middle of feeding and I try to keep him upright for awhile. If I do have to put him down, I put him in the swing, which is elevated anyway, or I prop him up with a wedge on a flat surface. It seems to help quite a bit!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with burping and making sure not to let the baby lay flat for at least 15-20 mins. Even those tiny burps left behind can effect the spitting up. My mom works in labor & delivery, and she wouldn't let me lay my LO down until all the burps were out and sometimes still left her sitting up for a while. She's 5 1/2 wks now and I still do that most every feeding, the ones I haven't have resulted in her spitting up.
  • Thanks everyone! I've started feeding her at a slight incline to keep her head above her stomach and I've made sure I've been getting more of her burps out. Huge improvement! Thank you!!!

BabyFruit TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"