High-Risk Pregnancy

Unicornuate Uterus

Hello all! I am currently 5w1d (due 12/19) & eagerly awaiting 5/9 for my 8 week (and first!) ultrasound. I have unicornuate uterus (half the size of a normal uterus) as well as only one ovary, fallopian tube & one kidney.

Curious if anyone else here has this or has experience with uterine anomalies. This was my first BFP so I am eager & optimistic but quite overwhelmed with all the negative statistics & scary numbers about risk of miscarriage & early labor.

Happy to be here & learn/share with each other! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
photo ad6b5133-7684-4a08-9346-36b261d054ec_zpsfe39c48f.jpg

Our furbaby, Claire :)
photo 296a1ae1-0286-4222-a8fe-91761163d665_zps7e7d024e.jpg

Re: Unicornuate Uterus

• I have a unicornuate :)  I learned about mine at random.  I went to an RE to discuss PCOS and he decided to do the standard labs and fertility work up.  After an HSG and MRI, I was diagnosed with 2 ovaries/kidneys, left UU and left tube.  I got pregnant on my 2nd month ovulating from my "connected" side and am currently 26wks+3days.  Thankfully, all is well but naturally, I worry.  

The worst for me was reading the statistics for UU women.  They will scare the crap out of you and make you walk on eggshells for your entire pregnancy.  Try not to google much, because the info is sparse and not thorough.  As my doctor told me, everyone women could have a complication at any time so just because you have an anomaly does not guarantee you to have issues.

I would say, if you could, get in to see your OB asap.  If I am not mistaken, UU's are at a slightly higher risk for ectopic pregnancies so you just want to be seen soon so the doc can determine that the pregnancy is in your uterus.  An ectopic pregnancy is detrimental to a unicornuate if not taken are of because you run the risk of losing your only tube.  

My next bit of advice is to make sure your doctor is familiar with uterine anomalies.  Also, ask to be referred to a high risk doc aka MFM.  A lot of anomaly women find that they need additional cervical length checks, progesterone suppositories or injections, possible cerclage, bed rest, etc. A high risk doc will monitor these concerns closely and try to get you as close to full term as possible.  Also, not all UU ladies need a c-section.  The internet will make you feel like you are doomed to be cut open.  Basically, it is 50/50.  If there is no complications and the baby is head down, welcome to vaginal delivery :)

There are two yahoo groups for anomaly ladies and FB pages so feel free to join and get more advice/read more stories. Unlike here, the yahoo groups are just for anomaly ladies so you will get advice and responses from women who have first hand experience.   

Feel free to reach out if you have questions.  Best of luck and congrats!

• @KutiePebbles THANK YOU!! This is all so helpful. I'm part of the UU Sisterhood group on Yahoo and have found great support there but so many posts don't directly discuss pregnancy so I was feeling bad mentioning it when so may others are struggling. Your positive and mellow experience so far gives me so much hope and helps keep everything in perspective. Thank you for your help and all the advice!! Wishing you a H&H last few months! Over halfway there :)

BabyFruit Ticker
    photo ad6b5133-7684-4a08-9346-36b261d054ec_zpsfe39c48f.jpg

Our furbaby, Claire :)
    photo 296a1ae1-0286-4222-a8fe-91761163d665_zps7e7d024e.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. I have a bicornuate uterus with a complete split, so basically two half-uteruses connected in the middle. Me being referred to a high-risk doctor (an MFM) was the best thing my last OB could've done. He told me the increased risks of having a BU, but showed me the percentages against "normal" pregnancies, and the risks were not much higher. My OB told me that most BU babies are breech, so plan on having a csection. That did turn out to be the case (so I was glad she prepared me for that at the beginning of my pregnancy), but my MFM said it's only about 4% higher risk of that than others. He was very full of good, comforting advice, and it's good to talk to someone who can tell you their experience with different uterine anomalies. I seemed to be the exception to most of his other patients who went on to have term babies; I had a 30 weeker after preterm labor, incompetent cervix, etc. I think it would have been a worse outcome if I was not seeing a MFM doctor, because they watched my cervix and gave me progesterone and put me on bed rest. I'm now almost 9 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby. I will be getting a cerclage and progesterone shots, and I'm really hoping I can have a term baby. I will be happy to get past 30 weeks, but really, I think with all the extra interventions I'll be getting, I want to get to 37. I hope the same for you. Good luck!
  • Thanks Spiked :)  I wish you the same!  We can relax and enjoy our unicorns together, haha.

I completely understand your feelings in regards to the yahoo groups. I decided not to formally announce my pregnancy.  I feel I might send a birth announcement when the peanut arrives but I understand your feelings and hesitations.  

I've loved the success stories and support that some of the UU women provide but like many blogs, there is always a flip side.  I feel some women are ill informed when it comes to their anomaly.  A lot of their questions could be answered if they asked their doctor (but it needs to be the right doctor).  My doctors were always very upfront, honest and positive.  Your providers really make a difference :)  

Again, best of luck and feel free to ask questions along the way.  I am far from the voice of reason but I can at least weigh in with my experiences since I am a few weeks ahead of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"