May 2014 Moms

BREECH! :(

goodgalpalgoodgalpal member
edited April 2014 in May 2014 Moms
Baby was in perfect position last week, but he has flipped to breech now (37w 4d). They want to give me a c-section (which I really do not want!) around the last week of April (39 weeks) if he doesn't flip by this coming Thursday (38w 4d). I am going to try everything I can do to get him to go back to how he was.

They say my fluid level is good so he still has a chance of moving, but due to my large amount of abdominal fat, they don't think they can manually move the baby.

I plan to do some hands and knees floor exercises with my hips in the air, swimming pool, ice on the upper part of my belly, warm compress on the pelvic area, gentle music at the pelvic area, and I've been using a bith/yoga ball to sit on. I'm going to call a chiropractor to see if they can do some Webster technique on me also.

Anyone else going through this? Any other tips? I've checked out spinning babies.
photo maymommy2014.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BREECH! :(

• And why would he want to go breech if he was already in the "proper" position? Ugh.
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Sorry i don't have any advice for your naughty baby. I hope he moves soon though! Good luck!

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Loading the player...
  • Mine just flipped from breech to vertex at 37 weeks. He was breech from 28-36 weeks, so it can happen! My fluids are still high though so I've been told he might go back. :( 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited April 2014
    Mine has been breech this entire time unfortunately so yes I can relate. But I think it is good news that he was vertex on his own because that means there shouldn't be any physical or uterine issues causing him to be breech. Now I would question not trying an ECV due to abdominal fat and maybe get a second opinion if you feel strongly about it especially if you have good fluid (I assume that is what they were vetoing) as none of my research remotely mentioned that as a contraindication. also is there a medical reason for you to have the baby at 39 weeks? Because honestly they can turn last minute and beig breech is not a reason in and of itself to schedule before your due date. Even me being high risk, but well controlled, will push to wait to 40 weeks to schedule. If I could I would wait to go into labor naturally and then if the baby was still breech do a c section.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @JAM85 I tend to agree with you. I am morbidly obese and have GD, but it is diet controlled and I have some high numbers from time to time but nothing obscene.

If he is still breech this coming week I am going to ask for them to manually try to move him despite my fat (they said they didn't think they could because they don't think they could feel where he is well enough, but they didn't even try). Also, I will likely tell them that I prefer to start labor naturally and not schedule a c-section. I have been reading that babies can flip at the end during labor so I feel like that is a better option than being cut open.
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My yoga instructor was talking about moxi sticks. I have no idea if that is the fight spelling but apparently you out them between your toes and the cause tons if fetal movement which can initiate the baby to turn.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The moxa stick got my baby got my baby moving just didn't flip her!
  • The moxa didn't do anything for mine. :( In fact, he seemed way more chill whenever I used it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited April 2014
    I will also say the moxa hasn't provoked anything for mine- ice on her head provoked the most movement. I have been doing webster 3x a week for 3 weeks now and that has definitely elicited big movements after. I would also try deep inversions. I actually just set some pillows below the couch as put my hips on the edge of the couch and head on the pillows for 10-15 minutes or however long I can take it. Music also got her going too though. The swimming and dives- not so much she seems calmed by me swimming (I was a swimmer so this is also my workout) and as much as you can remember to do pelvic tilts and downward dog or knee-chest is great too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That sucks :( however, maybe you can mention this? I know it's Canadian but it's the latest recommendations for breech - they are pushing vaginal delivery now

https://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/pregnancy/delivery/c-section-not-best-option-for-breech-birth/article1186104/?service=mobile

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Also ask around to see if anyone in the practice is able to deliver this way. My midwife has successfully delivered many breech babies vaginally

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS flipped from head down to breech at 39 weeks and we opted for the c/s. I would definitely look into a chiro (sooner rather than later) and check out spinning babies.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I would push to schedule for later. I would also get some acupuncture and moxabustion. It flipped my daughter at 38 weeks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do have to say though that doctors not being trained is not the major reason for breech not being "allowed" as a vaginal birth. All conditions have to be perfect for a vaginal breech to be just as safe or safer. Frank breech, usually multiparous woman, proven pelvis, optimal plancental location etc, baby weight etc. Yes, vaginal breech delivery can be safe but there's no conspiracy against it as far as I can see. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I do have to say though that doctors not being trained is not the major reason for breech not being "allowed" as a vaginal birth. All conditions have to be perfect for a vaginal breech to be just as safe or safer. Frank breech, usually multiparous woman, proven pelvis, optimal plancental location etc, baby weight etc. Yes, vaginal breech delivery can be safe but there's no conspiracy against it as far as I can see. 

This. My bub is breech at 36 weeks and I was basically told that although vaginal breech birth is an option, everything must be perfect in order for a vaginal birth to be offered. Also being a FTM makes breech vaginal birth much more difficult. I have an appointment on Tuesday at 37+1 to check position, cord, fluid etc and then discuss ECV and go ahead with it if I feel comfortable. I am yet to decide on the ECV. I have been unable to try any natural methods for flipping her as I was told by my other doctor that he was certain she had flipped back (this was only 3 days after ultrasound confirmed breech). He only felt my pelvis and said he was certain she was head down. However I don't buy at as he did not do an ultrasound. So I'm just in a waiting game now until Tuesday. If I were you I would question the inability to do an ECV as they would have to do an ultrasound first anyway to confirm position of bub etc. Good luck and I hope your bub flips for you :)
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited April 2014
    I will be doing an ECV if my fluid remains good, no cord issues, and I am satisfied with the doctors credentials who will be performing it. (I see the practice at a teaching hospital so normally I see residents but they sure as hell aren't doing that procedure on me) it will be for 38 weeks if she hasn't flipped by then. At this point though because she has been breech since the a/s at 17 weeks I am wondering if there isn't a reason she is that way. I actually would be well suited for a vaginal breech birth with only being a FTM being a question but alas as PP have sad this trainin is lost here now and my hospital will not even allow if regardless of doctors training. I hope your LO gets it together and heads down!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Unfortunately, I have an anterior placenta and baby has a single umbilical artery instead of two so those are not ideal. Also, I have GD and am very obese, and "advanced maternal age". Regardless, the hospital I am going to is a teaching hospital/university hospital and they don't do any breech deliveries even if I had perfect conditions.

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"