August 2012 Moms

How much milk?

Dd has gotten to the point that she has no milk at all anymore. Her pediatrician recommended to make her sit in her high chair until she finished her milk at each meal, but honestly I just laughed that idea off. Even if it is a discipline issue I don't want to fight that battle right now (she's in an independent stage).

He also advised to add chocolate syrup to the milk, but she wasn't impressed. I know that's following the AAP but I'm kinda glad she didn't like it.

Thing is - I think the milk was causing her constipation problem all along - dr wanted chocolate and karo syrup added to her milk indefinitely, but now that she's avoided milk the constipation and gas is not so bad.

Anyone else have a little one who doesn't tolerate milk? I've read that they sometimes refuse to drink it because they know it hurts their tummy, instinctively I guess?
What alternatives do you use - almond milk? Yogurt drinks? Soy?
BabyFetus Ticker
Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
9/50

Re: How much milk?

• I'm not sure about the intolerance part. But other dairy counts as their milk intake. Full fat yogurt is the same oz for oz as milk. I wouldn't force it or add chocolate to it. You could try sneaking the milk in cereal or oatmeal stuf like that.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • skoozskooz member
    DD didn't like milk at first at all. I asked her ped about it because she was still nursing at 1, but not a whole lot. He said he wouldn't worry too much if she was getting other dairy like cheese or yogurt. She likes it better now, but at most drinks about 8 oz in a day. Finishing a cup at each meal sounds crazy to me (probably because DD was never crazy about it). In addition to milk in cereal and oatmeal, I also put a little in scrambled eggs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 8oz a day and that's only because I still give him a bottle at bedtime...don't judge me! I'm gonna cut it out in the next month but he never drinks milk otherwise and he loves his night bottle.
  • My ped wants them to have 16 oz of whole organic milk a day. My daughter hasn't been finishing hers and barely drinks it, her twin brother drinks his and grabs hers too (he loves his milk!) so I changed up her cups- I have cheap Santa ones, and a few others from Target with straws and she loves drinking out of something new and drinks about 90% of her milk now! my advice is to change it up.
  • Amy - dd was doing great with milk in her bottle at night up until 18 mo when we did away with bottles (mostly because I was tired of washing them!) so I understand :) and I am missing that quiet cuddle to sleep time

New cups worked at first... But now she's caught on and will only take a few sips

She does go crazy for cheese and will eat yogurt most of the time so that's good.

I'll try cereal for breakfast tomorrow - but I'm betting she will rather eat it out of my bowl after hers ends up on the floor... Such a funny age ;)

I'm also planning on giving smoothies a try - maybe sneak in some spinach too?
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    9/50
  • @carolyn231723‌ he's a big fan of broccoli?! Jealous! My kiddo would NEVER let such a thing pass her lips, lol.
  • Toni79Toni79 member
    edited April 2014

My pedi told me at least 12 oz of whole milk a day, plus 2 other servings of dairy.

I fill a 9 oz straw sippy in the morning, and offer it at her 3 meals.  It goes in the fridge between meals.  If she finishes most of the milk I am happy.  But she is also nursing 2-3 times a day.  I have no idea what she's getting from me though?

DD is obsessed with cereal!  And having milk in her cereal.  It is super messy, but she enjoys using her spoon so much.  Recently she has that as a meal or a snack once a day (or every other day).

DD loves cheese and yogurt.  And as other posters have mentioned broccoli!  DD also loved tofu (served cold and cubed - nothing fancy).

I haven't had an issue with intolrance, so I can't say what to suggest as an alternative.  Maybe you should ask your pedi about using a soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk?  I know some don't have as much protein, fat, or calcium as others or compaired to cows, so it might be worth asking what's best for your situation.

GL!

Is your LO getting other fluids?

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• DS doesn't like cow's milk at all...unless it's in a milkshake or ice cream form! Lol! I mentioned it to his pedi at the 12 and 18 month appointments and he's not concerned. He said I could try soy/almond/other milk if I wanted, but that since DS eats plenty of cheese/yogurt/etc., to not worry about it. He still nurses twice a day, but I don't think he's getting any more than just a sip now, so I don't even count that anymore. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"