August 2014 Moms

a very first world question(nbr house related)

H and I went by the house today and the demo I think is almost done.
They had to tear out the kitchen floor and move the island and turns out that underneath the ugly linoleum (it was very 70s) there is a nice hardwood floor.
I was thinking of suggesting that the hardwood be sanded down and few coats of Polyurethane added. Would this make sense? is hardwood in kitchens something feasible or should we just have the linoleum replaced?

Secondly, Our kitchen island was huge and took up most of the floor space. And I am thinking of asking them to just not put it back and making our kitchen an eat-in. We don't plan to be in this house forever though and it seems like everyone is looking for kitchen islands these days. If you were buying a house right now, would an eat in kitchen be something that would turn you off from the house?

Also every time I type eat-in kitchen my mind thinks "eat-in chicken"

Mom  to S-07/22/10 & Q-12/14/11 L-8/23/14

Re: a very first world question(nbr house related)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • trawas01 said:
    We put hardwood in our kitchen. My parents had it in theirs. We've never had a problem and I love that its quick and easy to clean.

The island depends on the overall size of the kitchen. Is there decent counter space without

Stuck in the box

Not really, which is another reason I'm hesitant.

• Loading the player...
  • It depends, the homes we are interested in all have islands. I prefer the extra counter space and it will serve as a breakfast bar.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I always love an island in a kitchen BUT if I had to choose between to identical houses where the only difference was one had an island and the other was an eat in kitchen, I'd pick the eat in kitchen every time.

So much nicer with young kids and dogs to have that more open feel and not have to use the "pretty dining room" for every meal

• I would say that if the counter space is limited to keep the island.  Is there an option to make the island smaller?  So that it's not taking up too much space but still giving you that counter space?  Or making it with a built in bar so you can put stools at it to get that eat in feel?

I love the look of hardwood, so I would say go for it if the original is still in good shape.  That's the problem with AZ realty, there's no hidden gems in old houses, everything's built on concrete slab and covered in tile.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok so keep the hardwood and most of you say keep the island for counter space.
    I think I may try to find a middle ground and put the island away somewhere until we are ready to sell.  That way it doesn't get destroyed and I get more room in  my kitchen.

• Some day we want to put hardwoods in our kitchen...so definitely keep the hardwoods.

I'm kind of divided on the island.  We have an eat in kitchen now and I love it.  Easy to have the kids right there eating.  I was never big on separate dining rooms. 

I've never actually lived in a house with an island, it sounds convenient for cooking, though.  When it comes down to it...if you need it for counter space, I would keep it.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• We have hardwood in our kitchen and I think it works great. Also, I second what you said about thinking eat-in-chicken every time you hear eat-in-kitchen!

Check out my travel blog.... www.SeeJulesTravel.com
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We rented a house once with hardwood in the kitchen. I didnt feel strongly about it either way so I'd just refinish!

We have an eat in kitchen in our 1970s ranch. I prefer having a kitchen table to an island. We also have a formal living room so there are multiple places to eat depending on the situation.

• Hardwood floors are perfectly fine in a kitchen. Just clean up spills immediately. I had them in a previous house and had no problem.

As far as the island, it's hard to day w/o seeing it. Right now, we have a small kitchen with very little counter space. We have a small island that I couldn't live without.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • We have hardwood floors in our kitchen and I love them except when having to yell at DH to clean up spilled water right away. Easy to clean up baby/toddler messes. We eat in our kitchen daily except for special occasions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"