Cloth Diapering
Options

Cloth for newborns

Hello everyone! I am new to this and am currently expecting so trying to figure out how to get started.

Do you start with cloth right away or use disposables for the first few weeks?

If you start with cloth, do you use one size or a newborn sized diaper?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Cloth for newborns

• Options
    I used cloth right away. You would need newborn sized.

The FAQs are a good place to start.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    I used a mixture of cloth and disposables for the first week. My baby was tiny and used newborn diapers for three months.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started in cloth as soon as we got home from the hospital. We used newborn diapers as DD did not fit into OS until 6-8 weeks. She was an average birth weight newborn who gained weight very quickly and still took that long to fit into OS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were instructed to bring at least 20 diapers to the hospital with us for when our son will be born (counting the days now!). We are bringing disposables for that because I don't want to have to worry about keeping track of my cloth ones at the hospital if someone else (staff/nurse) changes him. Also, I don't want to have to come home from the hospital and need to do a lot of diaper laundry if I am there longer than the expected 24 hours after birth. But as soon as we get home with him, he'll be in cloth (at least that is the plan).

We have a newborn stash of prefolds, flats, a few tiny fitteds and 8 newborn size covers. I've started my OS stash too, but that will keep growing as I try more things out. We have 10 one size pockets, a few larger fitteds, flats (they will work for newborn to potty training) and 8 OS/larger covers. 

I figure I will try some different brands of pockets, AO1s or AO2s as I learn what I like and dislike through experience. I'm really itching to try Best Bottoms because they get some much love on this board, but I think I should wait until I'm in the OS stage before investing in a set of BB covers and inserts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    We used newborn for 3 weeks and then he fit into os. He outgrew newborn bgs really fast. He fit into os flips at 7lbs

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options

We used newborn for 3 weeks and then he fit into os. He outgrew newborn bgs really fast. He fit into os flips at 7lbs

Flips at 7 lbs? This makes me happy as that's a good chunk of our one suez stash! My midwife is predicting my LO to be about 7.5-8 lbs max so hopefully I can use them sooner than later :) although I love my nb stash

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I used cloth right away (after we got home from the hospital). I started with Kawaii Pure and Natural pocket diapers and a few NB sized Alvas. Loved the Kawaiis. The Alvas were just okay; my baby's legs were too skinny for them to fit well right away. DD3 is actually still able to wear the Kawaii PNs now at 1 year and 21 lbs.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"