3rd Trimester

Dilemma- please help!

Hey everybody.  I have a dilemma that is weighing really heavily on me.  I am a non-tenured teacher in a district who is in the process of laying off a ton of teachers.  I am super nervous about it because my family depends on my insurance and second income.  Several months ago, my OB requested that I do a 3 hr glucose test because I had had GD with another pregnancy and she wanted to be on the safe side.  I took off of work, had it done, but the company (contracted out) lost my test results.  In fact they have no record of me being there at all, though they did bill my insurance.  I am now 30 weeks, and my OB wants me to have the 3 hour done again.  The problem is that my employer is being super stingy with time off, and not granting days off, and I would have to take a day off without permission to complete the three hour glucose.  It's not that my blood sugar is high, they are just taking precautions.  I am nervous about taking time off to do the test, as my employer has already denied me the time off, and frankly we need to keep the insurance/job as long as possible.  But I would never ever do anything to take a chance with my kid.... Any suggestions for what I should do?  Thanks in advance.  

Re: Dilemma- please help!

• Would it help if you had your dr. write you a note?
  • OMG that is horrible. Does your employer know that why you have to take off? Can you get a Dr note. Is that legal for them to not let you if the Dr recommends a test? I am so sorry. I a teacher as well and my principal has been super supportive.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a teacher too.

So you have "sick" days? Are you on a teaching contract? What's your principal like? And are you in a Right to Work state? Meaning, are you protected by a teacher's union?

I can see where you are coming from. If they are getting rid of teachers, you are trying to be on your best behavior.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• apmomapmom member
    The lab that is used by my doc and is covered by insurance is not open on the weekends, and they open at 9 and close at 5.  I can try the doctor's note, that is a good suggestion.  My principals are very supportive.  However, I know of two teachers in my building who were laid off (one for MS related problems, and one for pregnancy time off.  Their pink slips called it "Excessive time off") mid year, a decision made by HR that the principals were blindisided by.  My union rep has advised me to not take the days even with the doctors note (In fact both my principals and my union rep have advised me to not disclose the pregnancy until after May 15 due to the crazy layoffs), because the union is not very strong in my district, we are currently teaching without a contract, and the district was taken over this year by the state (I teach in a very inner city district) who is supporting the crazy lay off policies (and likely initiating them because the governor is really interested in laying off all of the teachers in my district to turn charter).  I love my students and my school, and really my job, I am not a fan of the district politics.  But frankly, it's a job I need at the very least for the insurance (I have a child with severe special needs, and this delivery will be a c-section) until I can find something else....  It's good advice to call my doc and loop them in, and see if maybe there are some other options.  My mom suggested doing the repeat 1 hour first to see how I fare with that, maybe I wouldn't need the three hour since I technically haven't failed a one hour yet, and my OB does offer that on the weekends.   I feel very guilty about all of this, because I hate putting a job before the needs of my son. Thanks so much for all of the advice.  
  • apmomapmom member
    My insurance isn't crazy about doing the test again. So we are probably going to have to pay out of pocket for the test.
  • Some labs like Quest, have Saturday hours. If you are dealing with an OOP expense (which is stupid), you should just pick a lab that does it on Saturday.

You don't have any half days or PD days coming up?

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• apmomapmom member
    Nope, they took them all away due to snow days
  • I would discuss this with your doctor. They may know of a lab that is open on Saturdays, or they may be able to give you a monitor and have to go on the GD diet just to be on the safe side. 
    BabyFruit Ticker 

image image image image image
    Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • My doctor allowed me to test myself at home. You can buy a sugar tester at the drug store. I tested everyday for 3 days after breakfast and lunch. I wrote down what I ate. She had me test 1-2-3 hours after eating as well as before eating.

It was a pain in the butt, but I didn't have to go into the lab and it kinda helped me understand the impact that the food I ate had on my sugars. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"