October 2013 Moms

NBR: Favorite "Cheap" Wine

I was put in charge of putting together a wine-themed raffle basket for a friend's bridal shower (I still think it's tacky to ask guests to pay for raffle tickets after they've already spent money on a gift, but whatevs).  Anyways, I was told to stick to a $30ish budget, and was wondering what are your favorites that won't cost an arm and a leg?
photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Favorite "Cheap" Wine

• SAMs club has a blue bottle of Moscato that is like $15 dollars and pretty good.  I have no idea what the name of it is, but the bottle is a sapphire blue. 

• muffyvonmuffmuffyvonmuff member
    edited April 2014
    I would go to Trader Joes to stock up and give away the bottles separately instead of all at once so more people win.  People went crazy at my shower buying tickets, it was so much fun!  My friends were so energetic and enthusiastic about it so I think that added to the excitement (that and my friends love to gamble)  It was $5 for 10 tickets or $10 for my bellys length. They did about 10 individual bottles of wine, 5 restaurant gift cards (that they were given for free since we all work in restaurants) and they had bar swag (A big silver corona cooler, a redstripe beach umbrella, and sam adams golf clubs they also got for free) at the end the biggest prize was 50% of the money collected from the tickets.  I got the other 50% to buy something big off my registry that wasn't purchased.
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Loading the player...
  • All of these should run you between $10-$15 per bottle unless they're on sale and you can probably get them cheaper than that: 

Red Diamond or Hess Select or 337 Cabernet Sauvignon
    Yellow Tail Moscato ($7 for small bottle, $11-$12 for a big one)
    Clos du Bois Sauvignon Blanc & Pinot Grigio
    Mirassou Pinot Noir

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 

BFP #2: 2/16/13...Owen Ray born 6 weeks early 9/9/13

photo e0fadb54-1cd9-4c5f-8086-5e25d4789dbe_zps5ef23e41.jpg
  • Sutter Home (or is it house?). #thatswhatsup

• I 2nd Chateau St Michelle, 14 hands, or Charles Smith are all WA wines that are cheap and good. Or if you have a costco, their kirkland wines are good for the price.
  • Sutter Home. They also have small sample size bottles you can buy in packs I think.
  • Mmmmmm I LOVE the "Apothic" brand wines! They are "blends" & offer a red, white & blush variety. Do it!!
  • Can't go wrong with Copolla.
  • Barefoot anything is usually good and reasonably priced.
  • Cavit Riesling and I agree with Casillero Del Diablo...one of my favorite Cabernet's!
  • La Crema Pinot Noir is about $25/bottle and delicious.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Relax riesling is also super cheap and suprisingly good.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Barefoot and Duplin are my cheaper go tos and Yellow Tail

• cassey910cassey910 member
    edited April 2014
    Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo is so good!

• Chateaua St Michelle ($10) is one of my faves..Reisling. Another supper cheap I agree with is Sutter Home ($6)...I like the sweet red blend.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • If you have a trader joes near you that sells wine, go for the Layer Cake Primitivo it's my absolute favorite! It's usually between $12-$15 depending on where you buy it, more at a liquor store less at trader joes.

If I was spending money for raffle tickets at a shower for which I already purchased a gift, I would expect there to be good wine in the basket, not something that I could go to the store and buy for $4.
  • Chatue St.Michelle is a huge favorite. I like their reisling the best and st my wedding it was a huge hit.
  • Aldi has some decent wine. I buy the white zinfindel for 3 or 4 dollars a bottle. The Reisling and moscato might be 5 or 6.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I second Casillero del Diablo. I also would not consider barefoot or yellowtail good wine. It's good enough, inexpensive, I drink it sometimes, but I wouldn't be excited to get it. $30 is barely 2 decent bottles! I do recommend some yummy box wine like Bandit or French Rabbit.

#cheapwinesnob
    #ineverpaymorethan$15
  • Barefoot is pretty good and cheap.  I FIL has been happy with Costco/Kirkland brand wine.
    *Evelyn born 9/20/13*

• Hob nob Pinot noir. It's like $9. It's my go-to table wine
  • jgslr said:
    I just read your post OP, omg..that IS tacky, selling raffle tickets at a shower, and then $30 budget for a wine basket?!! Nope. Wrong on so many levels. #100budgetorbust #don'tthinkanyonewillbuyticketsatashower
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this!!  For $30, probably a little more, I'm thinking that I will end up with 2 semi-decent bottles.
    photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"