July 2012 Moms
Options

AW: I've got a new squishy!

alphahelixalphahelix member
edited April 2014 in July 2012 Moms
Charlie is here! He was born at 12:26 am on Wednesday April 16. He weighed 7 lb. 4 oz and is 19 inches long. We are both doing great and things have been a trillion times easier so far with recovery and sleep and breastfeeding - I'm so hoping that it continues!!

If you like birth stories... I had been having a ton of braxton-hicks for weeks but on Tuesday they seemed to be coming even more often and were feeling more crampy than before. They weren't intense or timeable, so I figured it was just more prodromal labor. Around 3 pm, I got Anna up from her nap and we went for a walk to see if they would come any closer and it seemed like they actually slowed down so I was dissapointed. When DH got home at 5:30 I told him that I was having contractions and I thought it was probably false labor but maybe we should take Anna over to the IL's for the night just in case something happened overnight, then we wouldn't have to worry about it. So he dropped her off around 8 pm and I was having contractions a little more consistently at that point.

At 9 pm, I got sleepy and decided to try to get some sleep. I laid in bed for about an hour and DH started timing contractions and we realized they were about 6 mins apart. We decided maybe this was the real deal and I got in the shower, thinking I could take my time and labor there for a while. Once I got up and started showering, they got much more intense and I told MH - we need to go to the hospital. We got everything in the car and got to the hospital at 10:45 pm. They monitored me in triage for 20 mins and I was 6 cm, 0 station. The contractions were coming every 2-3 minutes then.

We got up to a L&D room and I labored for a bit leaning on the bed and I quickly felt a lot of pressure so the nurse came back in to check me again. I was at 8 cm then (close to 12 am), and as soon as I got out of bed after the check my water broke in a huge gush all over the floor and bed (and poor DH's legs & shoes). I felt like I had to pee and made it to the toilet when I felt pushy. So back to bed and my OB had just got there - good timing! He checked and said I was complete and to push whenever I felt the urge.

I immediately needed to push, so I ended up pushing semi-reclined - not my favorite, but it worked. I was having trouble moving him down, so the doctor asked me to play tug-of-war with the nurse holding a towel. That made a huge difference! I could really feel where I needed to focus my pushing and I could feel him making progress down. It took about 10 pushes, 4 more contractions until I could feel him crowning and with one more big push he was out! He had a nuchal hand which was part of the reason it was harder for me to get him out, and I also got a 2nd degree tear which the doctor thinks wouldn't have happened if his hand wouldn't have been up. In all though, I only pushed for about 20 mins - much easier than the hour I pushed with Anna!

We did skin to skin for an hour while I birthed the placenta and the doctor did stitches. I fed him for about 20 minutes and then they did his evaluation and bath and shots. I cleaned up and we moved up to our post-partum room. He has been a great sleeper and is latching and eating really well too. I think it definitely helps that I feel a ton more confident this time around. We came home yesterday afternoon and Anna is doing really well - she wants to hold him all the time but does a good job listening when we remind her to be gentle. All in all, I'm a happy momma! 

Here's a pic of our little guy :) (Sorry for the FB repeat!)

Re: AW: I've got a new squishy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"