Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Yoghurt

Can someone please explain to me why you shouldn't give a baby yoghurt. I just do not understand why a baby who is on normal formula and shows no reaction can't have yoghurt.

Re: Yoghurt

• Options
    Yogurt, from what I've researched (on google, so take this with a grain of salt) is fine to give to a baby under 12 months. You should not give a baby whole milk as it increases the likelihood of the milk replacing formula and that isn't healthy for the baby. Did someone tell you not to give a baby yogurt? 
    Perhaps asking your pediatrician might give you more insight on why you should or shouldn't do it. 
  • Options
    Yes many other Mums have old me babies under 6 should not have yoghurt, but I can not find why. I did Alittle google research and saw people saying the same but. None give any reason why though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    stripes82stripes82 member
    edited April 2014
    My baby has been having a little puréed fruit since she was 3 and half months. Which I am ok with but I just want to know why I'm told not yoghurt.
  • Options
    My guess is the sugar content and believe it or not the dairy content. I've also heard not to give your baby milk until almost a year. I know my LO is BF and already has a dairy intolerance so I cannot have any dairy. So perhaps it's just hard on their digestive tract or they are looking out for allergies? You're the best judge! After all mommy knows best (most of the time)!!
  • Options
    Oh I'm all "gung-ho" because she doesn't sleep during the day. I get 3 x 40 min naps from 6 am to 4pm when I start bed time routine. She has been like that since about 2.5 months she is now 4.5 months.

As you can imagine the day is very long with a tired grumpy baby. So I have found lots of little activities that she loves doing even when grumpy. One of those is having a little solid food. She loves it and i love watching her trying to get the teaspoon in her mouth herself :)
  • Options
    Luckily in my big mistake of not following a set of rules I have a very happy healthy baby girl.

Also I wasn't asking if feeding her solids was right or wrong. I am happy in my decision to do so. I was asking if anyone had a legitimate reason why I should not give her yoghurt.

I have had someone mention the amount of sugar which I think is very reasonable. I will make sure I check this if I decide to give her some.

Also I didn't ask about her napping being normal or not. I just mentioned that it's nice to fill the time with fun stuff to do, one of which is having puréed fruit. Which she loves and stops her being grumpy for 30 minutes or so.

• Options
    Sorry one of my biggest frustrations since becoming a Mum has been how I'm expected to follow a set of "rules" on how I raise her. From the way I put her to sleep to even the toys I buy for her.

Not from here though, just made me abit touché. Although if my daughter learns anything from me I hope it's the ability to question why something is the way it is :)
  • Options
    I didn't realise that you spoke with my doctor about my daughter? It's amazing that you know what advice they give me!

And you are right I shouldn't spend the whole day stuffing her with solids. I should do things like put her in the pram and go for a daily walk to the river, spending time with me reading books to her, going for walks out to feed the horses and chickens oh and calves, plenty of play time on the floor with musical toys and soft toys, quiet time in her swing with chew toys, watching my tropical fish and being held so she can put her fingers on the glass and have the fish chase them and also go for walks among the fruit trees and vege garden we planted so she will grow up with access to healthy foods when ever she wants. Oh wait we do all that daily also so I'm probably not teaching her unhealthy habits...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Because I have only just started thinking about it and I don't have another appointment until the 28th so I thought I would do some research, didn't find much other than not recommended. So I thought I would ask about it and hope someone might know what the legitimate reasons are.

Again I didn't ask about if I should be giving her solids at all. I am happy and it will not change. She gets plenty of time doing other things and we live on a lovely rural property were she has access to plenty of healthy activities as she gets older. Both my partner and I are active and eat well so there is no reason she will have any problems with food, other than the normal pressure society puts on girls to conform!

I do not give her solids to sleep.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You are absolutely right! What was I thinking coming on to the internet thinking a may get some information and help.
  • Options
    They are giving me advice I did not ask for and specified I didn't want as I'm happy with giving her puréed fruit. Only one person gave me advice on what I asked about. Which I said was a good point.

Thanks to those that had response to the question asked. I think that I will take the advice given and no longer look at these forums for help when I need it.

Good luck ladies.
  • Options
    We only eat Greek yogurt since that was what I grew up on, so we asked our Dr about the use of that for some of the babies first solid food and they recommended it as it can be great to mix with fresh fruit and veggie purees.. here is some additional information I found on Greek yogurt specifically.

When can Babies Eat Greek Yogurt?

The age for introducing babies to yogurt does vary with 8 months being the most often recommended age. Many pediatricians do say that yogurt at 6 months makes a great first food.

Full Fat Yogurt Only

Babies shouldn’t have low-fat or no-fat dairy products. Lucky babies, they need the fat and will benefit not only from the fat itself, but from the extra-creaminess that comes along with it! Pediatricians typically recommend that toddlers be switched to low-fat dairy products around the age of 24 months (2 yrs).

No Added Flavors

As with giving your baby regular yogurt, make it plain yogurt. You’ll cut down on the sugar and you’ll be able to make your own flavors, just for baby’s preferences and developing palate! Try mixing in blueberry, banana, apple or pear puree; you can even add veggies!

An Additional Benefit and Bonus of Greek Yogurt for Babies!

Greek yogurt is strained more than its regular yogurt counterpart. This means that the whey (protein that those with dairy allergies may react to) and the lactose (many are lactose intolerant) content is far lower in Greek Yogurt. Your baby may find the Greek yogurt easier to digest.

Greek yogurt can contain double the protein of regular yogurt as well. It also has half the sugar (lactose) as regular yogurt. Double the protein and half the sugar, Greek Yogurt is a wonderful choice for babies!

A Note About Introducing Yogurt to Babies before Age One

Babies can be introduced to yogurt before the age of one year. Yogurt does not come under the “No Dairy Until Age One” rule. This “rule” is one that many pediatricians neglect to fully explain!

Yogurt is the exception to the the “No Dairy Until Age One” rule because:

• Your baby is not at risk of formula/breast milk being replaced by Yogurt or Cheese.
      Doctors worry that you may stop formula and/or breastfeeding and use milk as the replacement before baby is one. Doctors however, neglect to specify the difference between baby drinking milk and eating yogurt and/or cheese.
    • Lactose is broken down with the culturing of the yogurt or cheese and milk proteins are either semi-removed or limited. The culturing process makes yogurt and cheese easier to digest. Many people with lactose intolerance often are be able to eat cheese and/or yogurt without trouble. The same is often true for some people with a milk protein (either to the casein or the whey) allergy.
  • Options
    ChiAmyChiAmy member
    OP just skip the yogurt and go straight to m&m's...they are way more fun to eat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"